Tofu Cat Litter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just switched the cat litter to a tofu clumping based cat litter while I'm currently waiting for a non clumping litter to come for our cats. I just noticed that mama cat likes to eat the cat litter that has tracked onto the mat. Is this going to be ok for the cat, or should we just consider changing it back to the clumping clay litter for now? The reason being, mama cat had her first litter of kittens 10 days ago and I don't want the clay litter to track all over the room when the kittens are going to walking around soon.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You certainly do not want momma eating the litter, especially since it is a clumping litter. Not only can she get GI upset from it; but, if she eats enough, this can lead to an intestinal blockage which can be life threatening and need emergency vet care.

If she was not eating the previous litter, I would switch back ASAP.

Keep a close eye on her over the next few days. If you notice any diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, decreased appetite she will need to see a vet.

As a note, what are you currently feeding momma (brand, wet/dry) and how much?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has free access to Royal Canin Mother and Baby Cat Dry food, in terms of wet she is eating Royal Canin Babycat, Fancy Feast Kitten. She is eating approximately 2 of the bigger cans or about 4 cans of FF.