Today I bought.. + many more Questions****

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting my 12 week kitten in 2 days! so just started shopping for raw to be ready for his transition after a week or 2 as suggested by other members.

I've read from http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html to start with chicken/birds for a few weeks when starting before going into pork and other stuff..

I bought (approx):

800gm wing tips at $1AUD/kg

300gm chicken hearts $5/kg

3 duck wings $5/kg - are the bones too hard for kitten to chew? Am I suppose to give the drummette bone too?
500gm chicken wings $3kg - again, is the kitten suppose to eat all of the bone on this?

400gm of chicken ribs $5kg - I cut off some of the fat on those as I think it was too fatty for kitten, so probably be left with 300gms

I saw 900gm of quail for $9 pack, regret not buying it coz they were $15 everywhere else I looked.

I spent about $8 - looks like ALOT of food, but I'm not too sure how long it will last and what I can actually use.

Also I seem to have bought everything with bone in :/ so might need to get some breast later.

I'm trying to be cost effective and would like other peoples experience/input on what they buy/how old cat is/how long the food last?

My 12week old kitten menu looks like it will be:

8AM: heart, wingtip, chicken rib

6PM: heart, boob, wingtip

11PM: duck wing

Turkey is crazy expensive, eventually I will get to that if I ever see it cheaper... Will definitely get the quail next time for $9 :s

Do I just give it to the kitten as a whole?

Once I get more familiar with my ratios, I will start buying rabbit and other meats.

I saw wild rabbit for $9kg, which isn't too bad (I think)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get any liver or other organs (secreting organs like kidney, not muscle organs like heart)? Those are important for the vitamins and other nutrients. And boneless muscle meat to balance out the bone-in meals. . .thighs are more nutritious than breasts. You can add in other meats like beef and lamb after he's transitioned.

What is the kitten eating now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bag of pork suprise in the freezer, I'm not sure what it was, either liver or kidney... (bought it last month and couldn't hear what the butcher said)

Kitten is currently still eating the breeders advanced dry food.

aww Bugger, I've bought the breast, will give it a chunk of breast and a chunk of thigh.

what are other good organs besides kidney? Don't think I saw those today.

So will heart be counted as meat not an organ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breast is fine, no problem at all, just that thigh is even better! :tongue2:

Yeah, heart is a muscle meat. Very nutritious but not the same as secreting organs. Chicken liver is the easiest to find, in my experience.

Liver and kidney are the most common. Other secreting organs are pancreas, thymus, and brain, but those can be hard to source.

Last edited: