Toby. Still Struggling To Understand

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We lost our ginger boy, Toby, the other day. He'd been with us for almost nine years.

I don't know where he came from. Someone obviously noticed that I was taking care of the neighbourhood cats and left him on my door step. He was tiny, but very friendly and let me pick him up and take him indoors. At first I tried to find a new home for him, but no one suitable came along and we were soon totally in love with him. He fitted in with the rest of the family right away.

Toby6.jpg
Toby17.jpg

Shortly after I found Toby we moved to our new house with all of our colony cats, so Toby spent almost his whole life up here. He had a great time playing in the enclosure with all of his friends.

Toby23.jpg

He soon grew very large too. He weighed around 7 kilos and regularly used to climb over the enclosure fence and take off into the woods. He used to torment me by bringing home mice and birds and devouring them in front of me. Often when I was out on a walk I'd see him sun bathing on the decks of the empty houses around here. Sometimes he'd spot me first and start meowing at me, then walk home with me, purring all the way. He ruled his little patch of woodland and patrolled it with perfect confidence. He was such a character.

Toby86.jpg

He had some good friends. He and Albert used to hang out together all the time.

TobyAlbert5.jpg

And he was very gentle with Happy, one of our other rescue cats who passed away from FIV a few years ago.

HappyToby1.jpg

He was always such a big, strong, healthy cat that I never imagined anything could go wrong for him.

On Saturday afternoon I saw Toby, heading out for his walk at the same time I was heading out for mine. He didn't come home that night. The next morning one of my neighbours came to tell me she'd found a cat lying in the footpath behind her house. She thought it must be one of mine, could I come and check?

It was Toby.

I carried him home and cleaned him up, checking all over for any signs of injury. There wasn't a mark on him. His eyes and mouth were closed. It looked as if he'd just laid down for a nap and then never got up again.

Toby, I guess there was something wrong and I just never noticed. I wish there had been more warning, or something that I could have done. It looked as if you passed without too much suffering. I hope it was quick, my love, and that you weren't in any pain.

I'm glad that you got to spend your life in these lovely woods with us.

Toby44.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Toby, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Oh, my Darlin' Girl, I am so very sorry. It does sound as if he simply stopped to rest, and then stepped through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure without a thought or hindrance...simply free! What a lovely way to start that Next Adventure! And now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you, and he whispers to Those Who Watch, "This is one of the good ones! Take care of her!" And he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone.

:grouphug2:

It's very hard to accept that he has gone. I've lost some of my other cats in the past few years, but they had been sick and I knew they didn't have long to go. Toby seemed so full of life right up until the end. It's a shock to lose him with no warning that way.

But I am glad that I know what happened, that he didn't just go out and disappear. The not knowing would have been far worse.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your pain......no matter how many times we lose someone we love, it never gets any easier. Each one leaves a hole that takes so long to heal.
What a wonderful tribute to such a special boy. To be remembered after death is an honor. He was so loved that his little heart overflowed with the joy of having such a wonderful life and a family to share it. His little soul will always parallel your own life's journey, held there by the eternal bonds of love. He lives on through you now, so even though your heart is broken, let him feel the joy of what life can bring. He deserves that, he brought so much joy to your life during his time here on earth. Go forward into the future and live it as you would want him to go on if you were the first to go. You were put here on this earth to love and care for these wonderful creatures, and as they are called home one by one your own soul will be so enriched with knowing you made such a difference in their special lives.
Take care, and know you and all those who are loved by you are held in our thoughts and prayers. May you be blessed for loving so much.......RIP sweet Toby. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm doing OK, thanks Mia6 Mia6 I went for a long walk in the woods today and thought about how lucky Toby was to have lived here all his life. I'm glad we kept him with us and didn't rehome him when he was a kitten. I've got lots of happy memories of the time he spent with us.

I planted a little garden for him. I want to get a tree for him, but it's the wrong time of year to plant trees. For now he has marigolds in yellow, orange and red.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤