To sedate or not to sedate?

miraramsay2012

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Ramsay to the vet today because he is having an issue with one of his claws. The vet poked and prodded at his little foot and found that one of his nails is partially torn off (this is where the pus and blood were coming from). Basically, nothing that antibiotics and Onsior and epsom soaks won't fix in a couple of days. 

The poking/prodding lasted about 20 seconds and my question is: should I have asked for sedation or anesthetic?  

I left feeling so guilty that Ramsay was being hurt for that 20 seconds, probably wondering why this strange man was hurting his toes.

By the way - he came home, ate some breakfast and is now resting in his fave spot. 

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My personal opinion is that it's always best to avoid sedation unless necessary. It sounds like it was probably uncomfortable for the little cutie but not necessary. There are very real dangers of sedation after all. And it sounds like anesthetic wouldn't really be necessary either. I have some of the same reservations about that, plus when you eliminate pain you sometimes increase the likelihood that the animal will overuse the foot. Pain is a signal to be careful. That can be a good thing.

It would have probably taken longer than the 20 seconds of discomfort for the anesthetic to kick in.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you did the right thing. If we went to a doctor with an injury we wouldn't expect painkillers or anesthesia for the initial exam! 20 seconds really isn't very long, and it sounds like Ramsey handled it well. Don't stress about it :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin', you answered your own question.  He came home, ate, and took a nap.  This is not a traumatized kitteh.  The dangers of sedation far outweigh a short period of discomfort.