To our friends in the Land of Oz (Australia)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$48.5 million raised so far, not bad for a nation of 21 million people

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

How are the fires near St. Andrews?
The major one was put out 2 nights ago finally. Which is great, they aren't on alert anymore. It's just horrible so many people were lost.

There are alerts closer to where i am. Also there is a risk of two major fires joining up and polluting the major water catchment.

This morning smells very smokey too, might need to block my nose going out. I haven't been able to shake this sore throat since last weekend.

*hides*

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just want to add that a koala is not a bear... It is a marsupial - like kangaroos and possums.

I think it's going to be hardest on the koalas all these fires. There are many sorts of eucalypts, but koalas are very selective about the specific type of eucalyptus leaves they eat, and any that have survived will struggle to find enough to nourish them

It breaks my heart thinking about the echidnas, wombats and koalas and other such slow moving native animals that would have had no chance

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all have been through so much...Sending prayers and vibes out to you all. I've had to give up reading the news on it; the radio had a blurb of a man describing the scene at his house....when he mentioned seeing the 'roo running by, with its back ablaze ..........

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have arrested two men on suspicion of arson.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ire/index.html

I really hope they face some hard consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They found the bodies of the two family members of a family friend. The husband was found on his front yard and the wife was in the house. So terribly sad.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently all my family is safe. The firefront was only a few kms from their house, but they did not get any evacuation orders, and the fires did not get any closer luckily.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

They have arrested two men on suspicion of arson.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ire/index.html

I really hope they face some hard consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They found the bodies of the two family members of a family friend. The husband was found on his front yard and the wife was in the house. So terribly sad.
They got released.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Just want to add that a koala is not a bear... It is a marsupial - like kangaroos and possums.

I think it's going to be hardest on the koalas all these fires. There are many sorts of eucalypts, but koalas are very selective about the specific type of eucalyptus leaves they eat, and any that have survived will struggle to find enough to nourish them

It breaks my heart thinking about the echidnas, wombats and koalas and other such slow moving native animals that would have had no chance
Yes, I know that. But it's reflex to call it a "bear". Sorry...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yes, I know that. But it's reflex to call it a "bear". Sorry...
Hehe, it's ok - I noticed it was called a koala "bear" a couple of times in the thread, and just had to correct