To Late To Start?

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have fostered about 15 different litters in the last 5 years. I have multiple white, black, torti, black and white, tabby and white, and various tabby kittens in the same litters over the years. I have never needed to mark any kitten as they all have subtle distinguishing characteristics. Often these aren't present at birth, but will become present as they grow. Different faces shapes, different sizes, different hair lengths, different sexes, and even subtle differences in the tabby markings have helped me distinguish them. Even the "twins" at birth had some subtle distinguishing features by 3 weeks old. Weighing them daily and keeping track of twin weights can be helpful. I have always had the philosophy that keeping out all extraneous potentially unsafe items outweights the benefit of being able to tell exactly who is who as a newborn.

I am particularly careful around string and ribbon. My own cat ate thread and almost died. He needed emergency surgery (costing $1300) to save his life. I never have any string, ribbon or bands around my 2 cats (who I know I can't trust) or my fosters who may or may not be more trustworthy. It is a risk that I am not willing to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i've never had problems with that. She's acting like she will be having them in a day or two. **Crosses fingers** hopefully it will be healthy litter