To knock or not to knock

janeofthejungle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so my feral Jane has been coming along well but I would like others opinions on something.. I read that I should knock on door to her room before entering as it alerts her to my presence so she knows what to expect..I did this for the first 6weeks but lately .I find that when I do she is at the door hissing but backs down after a minute. I have tried not doing this as well. On the times I don't knock she doesn't seem scared but just stays wherever she is in the room.. do you think the knock is making her more anxious? Thanks.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for taking care of her. When are you planning to let her out of the room? Just asking, because being feral she might not like being confined too much. When I tried to relocate Geronimo, I had him confined in a room for two weeks and he hissed at me every time, and yes, I was knocking. As soon as I let him out, he was the happiest cat ever. I ignored him, and he never hissed at me again. I cannot touch him, but he will take a treat gracefully.

Do you have anything for her to hide when you enter so she can feel safer?

About the knock, if it is better without, then don't knock. I did knock because I thought it polite 
 but surely a cat can hear you coming a mile off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janeofthejungle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. She has been in the spare bedroom for about 8 weeks with the kitten i trapped her with. I think it is her son but im not sure. I just expanded her area to include hallway during the day with baby gates as i also have 2 resident house cats i want to introduce slowly. We are in the process of building a catio for all of them in the backyard so im trying not to overwhelm here. I make sure she has plenty of boxes to hide in the room in but most times she doesnt hide lately. I think she getting use to my presence.

Last edited: