To introduce or not introduce?

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A week ago this evening, I picked up a beautiful stray siamese cat that had been hanging out ON the drive through window at Wendys for three hours. Rather than letting her go to the local animal control (who doesn't have the best record in rehoming cats), or having her wander out onto the busy street in front of the business, I took her home (I really intended to only go get dinner there...)

She's a beautiful cream and dark brown seal point siamese female. She's declawed in the front (I'd never do that to my own cats, but that's the way she came to me). I'm hoping (fingers crossed), that if the owners don't get in touch with me, I'll be able to rehome her (I am trying to keep my number of cats in single digits, and she makes ten!).

My question is: Do I introduce her to my other cats? She's been in a separate room, but can see/smell the other cats through the door. She's warmed RIGHT up to me (in fact, she's laying on my arms as I'm trying to type this), but I brought her out on the couch with me earlier this evening, and every time another cat jumped on the couch, she started growling/hissing/swatting at the other cat.

If my intention is to rehome her sooner or later, should I put her and my cats through the stress of getting them accustomed to each other? I feel bad because she's becoming VERY affectionate with me, but I'm in the library for maybe an hour a day. I worry that I'm not paying enough attention to her!

Suggestions are welcome - and if you're looking to adopt a very pretty girl, let me know that, too

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't had her to a vet and had her tested for FeLV/FIV, then I wouldn't try to introduce her to your gang until you have done so.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep her isolated if my intention was to rehome her. In a household that large, it is very likely that she will cause some level of stress. If she is not a permanent resident, why stress them out?

Do you have a Siamese rescue group in your area that can help you?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also second FIV-FeLV testing. And agree that introducing her will only cause stress, fighting, & angry kitties. If you do not plan to keep her, & being a front paw declawed Siamese....she shouldn't be with you long. I'd avoid introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Siamese rescue group in your area that can help you?
I do, but it sounds like they're at/over capacity, so I didn't want to burden them with another cat to find a home for. I can keep her until I do find a good forever home, I'd just like to do so sooner rather than later