To Have Just One Cat?

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have advice on how to tell if your cat wants to be the only cat in the house? I have one who is 13 months old, and he seems happy, but does need some attention. I am home most evenings and nights and he is allowed to roam around indoors and heis very affectionate. He does tend to byte a little when he plays though.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By nature, most cats are threatened by newcomers in their territory. If they show any signs, its going to be "OMG INTRUDER I MUST DECIDE TO KILL IT OR HIDE AHHH!!!"

However, with a proper introduction that passes, and there are numerous benefits to having a second cat, along with some downsides.

The upside is that no matter how hard you try, you're not going to be able to play and interact the same as another cat can give. You're not going to curl up together on the tree and lick each others faces, wrestle around on the floor together, share meals, chase each other up the tree and behind the couch, etc. I've also already started to notice that I'm playing with Wesley and Buttercup much less than I used to (used to be MINIMUM 15 mins a day dedicated Da Bird or other interactive toy, now some days its a quick 5 mins or sometimes I even skip it). Two kitties always have each other 24x7. Even if not best friends, two cats tend to give each other more mental stimulation and exercise. Cats also tend to learn from each other more quickly, as its easier to copy another cat once they've figured out something. It also just gives peace of mind knowing that when you're not around, kitty still has a familiar face around, and they are less apt to boredom (with which comes less destructive behavior). And with two kitties, even if one has had enough schmooze time, the second may just be getting warmed up as happens around here. On the flip side, also great is that if you DO need time to yourself you can shoo em and instead of harass you they tend to just play with each other. Lastly, you get to pat yourself on the back for rescuing a second kitty, assuming you go through a shelter.

The downside is that you have to feed twice the food, you may have issues trying to manage different types of meals (luckily not an issue with my two), you may run into twice the vet bills, when they get sick they may both catch it and then you have to manage medicating two at the same time (the second will figure out whats up watching the first and know to hide heh), and you'll go through twice as much litter. So more cost and more work, and to some that's just not worth it. They can at least share each other's toys and furniture though.

So IMO, totally worth the extra cost/work, as its so cute seeing this:

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is the Queen of her domain... I think she would get very jealous if I brought in another cat... not to mention she love eating up tons of attention

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since your cat seems quite happy, I would not risk bringing in a second unless you have a strong desire for another. A second cat may or may not get along. I've had periods in my life with only one and the bond between us was very, very strong.
Please let us know what you decide.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Lastly, you get to pat yourself on the back for rescuing a second kitty, assuming you go through a shelter.
And that says it all, for me! Great video! I had one cat that I rescued from the local shelter, and had the same dilemma as you when he was about one year old. I feel that if you have the space and resources, then by all means, rescue another kitty! There are so many cats that need loving homes. But be careful - by that very same logic I now have FOUR cats! If I lived in the country, and had a couple of acres, I would rescue more. Go for it!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Ritz would mind another cat but I also think it is very much a cat-by-cat, owner-by-owner decision.
Ritz was rescued with her three other brothers (2) and sister (1) after being abandoned in November 2009. All during the socialization process, she stayed apart from the other siblings, preferring her own company, even when playing or chill-time. I am an introvert myself, so she has had little exposure to friends, and when repairmen were at my house for three or four days in a row, she developed a UTI.
I also know myself: I would worry if I was showing favoritism to one cat over another. I worry now about every little thing from size of feces to size of meals.
So, while there are some days I'd like another cat, not now, at least.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can tell unless you introduce your cat to another cat. One day I'd like to get another cat. Wessie has met quite a few cats. He's pretty easy going, but I find they don't like HIM. I'm sure it would be a lot easier for the both of them if a kitten came into my home, so that the kitten can figure out he owns the place.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general "domestic" cats are very happy being the only cat in the home/terrotory. But some cats like my DLH Panda love other cats around them. However I would say she still could/would be happy as an only cat however, if the opportunity presented itself.

So the better question in my humble opinion is, do you want another cat?

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my older guy is now 4...I got him when he was about 8 months...he was a stray, hanging around the golf course I work at and was very friendly..after 4 days I thought that if he was still there when I got to work I was going to take him home...he was and I did..things went fine..fast forward to about 18 months ago...while he would play with his toys but I could tell he still needed more..he would be home by himself for 6,7,8 hours..I felt he needed a companion..
I took my time trying to find the right cat for him..I went on Petfinder almost daily..I finally came across a website for a shelter that was kind of close to me and they had a male kitten who was 6 months old..the story about him got to me..the shelter had aquired him from a kill shelter in So Ill a day before he was to be put down..but the real kicker was that in his picture he could have been my big guys twin...so I adopted him..brought him home and he was deathly afraid of me and my son..after a week I thougth I had made a huge mistake..but he very quickly got along with my adult cat
Now he is 1 year old and anyone who saw the two of them together would think they were brothers..they clean each other, play fight and sleep nestled together very often..what I thought was a huge mistake turned out to be the best thing I could have done for the both of them..they make me laugh every day with their antics...the big one tries to keep up with the little one which is good because he's lost the two pounds the vet wanted him too..

i admit that my choice was pure luck but my advise to you would be to take your time and do research...lots of good info on this site

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats are meant to be alone, and some crave love and partnership. Whether you get your kitty from friend, shelter, breeder, they will tell you which pairs bonded, and which cats just prefer to be alone.

My two siblings are from a litter of 3, but it was obvious my two really bonded.

My first cat lived alone, but if I known what I know now, Id always look for siblings from same litter, never solitary cat.