To fly or not to fly....

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never flown and Im scared to try. I flip out on boats so I know I would flip out on a plane.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

There's just something about sitting on a plane and the turbulence......
That turbulence always scares me, too. Ive flown through a thunderstorm and thought I was going to have a heart attack.

I have flown soooooo much. Many international LONGGGGGGGGGGG flights, too. But I have not managed to fly since 9/11/01 yet.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate it! I have to dope myself up with Gravol for two reasons - it makes you dopey so gives me the courage to even get on the plane, and I suffer badly from motion sickness, so if I didn't, well, I wouldn't want to be sitting near me! I have an extreme fear of heights!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE flying. My dad has his private pilot's liscense so I've even been able to fly the plane myself. I think it's a thrill... even commercially as a passanger. But my favorite thing is being in a small plane doing a 45 degree bank or a stall! Talk about a rush!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Remind me not to get on the same plane with you. If someone gets sick anywhere near me, I will get sick, because I can't handle it when people throw up.
Flying, while I don't really 'enjoy' it doesn't bother me at all, after spending as much time as I have flying you just get used to it... my problem is flying with people. I can not be near a person who gets sick, the sound, sight or smell of someone else throwing up makes me want to throw up.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been in a plane off the ground. My uncle Mike used to fly a Hercules and I've been in that before (now he flies for Jazz airlines). I don't think I'd actually fly because of the air crash in 2005, 9/11, and the 1954 air crash over Moose Jaw that killed 37 people
. A Harvard plane collided with a TCA passenger flight and crashed into my friend's house, narrowly missing an elementary school filled with 300 kids by about a hundred yards. I'm paranoid.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You take a much bigger risk with your life when you get into a car than you'll ever take flying.

We had a plane make a crash landing on a major road on the middle of our town a few years ago. No onw was hurt but they had to close the road (5 lanes) for the rest of the week while they cleaned up the plane and got it back to the airport.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first flight was in 1960 in an old Viscount going from Montreal to Sept-Isles, Quebec. There was lots of turbulence between Quebec City and Sept-Isles, and it was a blast.

Then there were several flights with Rob when he was still flying sailplanes. The mountains around Hope, BC from 5000 feet are a little bit of heaven. And he'd do some "interesting" maneuvers, too -- fun!

Flying commercially these days is a pain in the butt, but that's not about the flying. I still love flying.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I enjoy flying. I'm actually a lot more scared of riding/driving on the freeway. You're much more likely to get killed on a freeway or highway than you are in a plane.

I don't like the feeling of the take off in a plane though, although strangely enough I love how it feels when you're landing. To me, it feels like a roller coaster ride.
Except I love the feeling of take-off even more than that of landing.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I LOVE flying. My dad has his private pilot's liscense so I've even been able to fly the plane myself. I think it's a thrill... even commercially as a passanger. But my favorite thing is being in a small plane doing a 45 degree bank or a stall! Talk about a rush!
Has he shown you a spin yet?

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like flying. Just a 30 minute flight to Orlando scared me. I don't think I can fly for hours.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I hate flying. I get motion sickness even when I take dramamine. But it doesn't keep me from going anywhere because I love going places.
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Hate it! I have to dope myself up with Gravol for two reasons - it makes you dopey so gives me the courage to even get on the plane, and I suffer badly from motion sickness, so if I didn't, well, I wouldn't want to be sitting near me! I have an extreme fear of heights!
I'm not afraid to fly (though flying into Newark last year on 9/11 did make me a little think).

But I hate because I can get so ill. When I flew into Ireland a couple years ago (when you were having those awful winds), we did the required landing in Shannon, I thought I was going to not make it into Dublin. I was dry heaving. Now DH wants to go to Germany. I really don't know what I'm going to do.

I also don't sleep on the plane so trans-Atlantic flights wipe me out.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't like it and haven't been on a plane since 911, but I didn't fly much before then either. Last year we drove to DC then took the auto train to Orlando. And a couple of years before that we drove to the Outer Banks--very long ride. (AFter listening to my children on that trip, I said I'd rather fly and crash than endure this again, but I still haven't done it (fly, I mean, not crash)
My 13 year old son is actually going on his first flight in a couple of weeks. They have a class trip to DC. He seems pretty calm about it although he asked if he could pack a parachute in his carry on. I was pretty calm about it too until my DH got that movie about the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania with the terrorists.

I know its safer than driving, especially with the crazy drivers around here, but I just have a hard time with it.

ohnoaninfp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the little Cessnas. They are fun. I got totake flying lessons las spring. Unfortunately it was only 2 hours. I love flying. So much to remember though. I dont know how people do it. Lol. I would love to get license to fly one day. As for big commercial planes, I get kinda worried. You are packed in with so many other people, and can't really see much. I hate the small windows.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I HATE flying.....I've flown 10+ times and it never gets any better. I'd much rather take a train (and enjoy the scenic route
) or go by car. However if it's an extremly long train/car ride....flying is usually faster so i'd normally just suck it up and fly. I hate the layovers, the searches, and all of the other nonsense that goes along with flying though. I also just don't feel safe flying. I avoid it at all costs.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not so crazy about it. My ears hurt when we just change elevations in the car. After the flights from our cruise last Feb, they hurt for weeks!