to declaw or not to declaw?

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could never declaw... 

if you notice your kitty likes to scratch somewhere that is not appropriate you can use like a citrus spray to deter but reinforce the scratchers with cat nip or cat nip spray... I have found a double sided tape thing that you put on furniture to help deter as well it has been awhile since I last used it so I don't remember the name... I would invest in a wide range of types of scratchers... I got a pressed cardboard one that is supposed to be like tree bark...it sat around for almost a year before one of my kid touched it ... now it is all she uses lol 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgar2131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to say that I have not declawed my cat. I went and got him neutered and he didn't get his claws taken out. thank you for all your help!

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't Amputate-declaw!  It is like cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle.  It is extremely painful, can cause biting issues because their defense is now gone, personality changes, life long pain, it is a horrible procedure.  Most Eurpoean countries ban declawing as inhumane, too bad the US isn't like that., in this like so many thing we are behind the times  Look on google for cat amputation (declaw) photos and look long and hard at the photos of the amputation pictures of cats paws by declawing.  

Supply your cat(s) with good scratching posts instead.  I have two adult cats with their claws and have no scratching issues with my drapes, furniture, etc. and never had.  Look at it this way, perhaps your daughter had grown long nails and occasionally made marks on furniture with them reaching for something, so you had the tips of her fingers amputated - it is the same thing.  It is cruel.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My favorite analogy for declawing, since paws are feet, is for a person to get all of their toes chopped off, and then go straight out and try running a marathon. Or walk a gymnastics balance beam. A person can lose their fingertips at the first knuckle yet still function, but we need our toes for balance, like a cat does.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guys - the original poster decided against declawing, so we're preaching to the choir here.  I think we all agree that declawing is not an option for responsible pet owners!