To declaw or not to declaw that is the question...

mellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the idea of not declawing, and in fact, it was this forum that convinced me not to ever do it again. I had absolutely no idea what the procedure was. I was horrified!

I agree with Arlyn, try using the nail caps.
http://www.softpaws.com/ is an informative site for them and you can buy them there as well. I tried finding them yesterday at one of the local pet stores but they didn't carry them. I'm going to try PetSmart next.

From everything I've read here on the forums about them, they're easy to use and it's possible that after using them a while the cat will become less destructive and not need them their whole lives. I have an adult cat that wasn't declawed and the only thing he ever scratches is his cat tree. (I think that's just a bit of luck though!)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mellie

I'm new to the idea of not declawing, and in fact, it was this forum that convinced me not to ever do it again. I had absolutely no idea what the procedure was. I was horrified!

I agree with Arlyn, try using the nail caps.
http://www.softpaws.com/ is an informative site for them and you can buy them there as well. I tried finding them yesterday at one of the local pet stores but they didn't carry them. I'm going to try PetSmart next.

From everything I've read here on the forums about them, they're easy to use and it's possible that after using them a while the cat will become less destructive and not need them their whole lives. I have an adult cat that wasn't declawed and the only thing he ever scratches is his cat tree. (I think that's just a bit of luck though!)
Mellie..thanks for this post...it's so good to know that this forum was able to teach you about the reality of the declaw procedure.

Katie

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Keep in mind that IF you declaw you should keep your cat the rest of his life. And that means that you don't get rid of him when he decides NOT to use the litter pan any more or resorts to biting or hiding because he has no defense.

Many cats with litter box problems are declawed. Not all but the majority.

If you can't live with some clawing its better to find him a new home and adopt another cat that someone declawed. At least another cat would not be subject to that procedure.
I guess all cats at shelters who are declawed should be put down since the majority of them have litter box problems (according to your reply).

I think that a horrible mis-truth to be spreading. There is no evidence for posting that and you are doing a dis-service to declawed cats in shelters everywhere.

kittylove1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SoftPaws are awesome....I've had two kitties that use them. I adopted a kitty that was already declawed and I have to say that it's very sad to see how he "handles" things. He looks like a person that has had his fingers cut off!

There is another option (I didn't read thru all the posts to see if this was mentioned) and it's a tendonectomy. I don't know if I spelled that right. But they just cut the tendon, not amputate the whole thing....

Karen

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I guess all cats at shelters who are declawed should be put down since the majority of them have litter box problems (according to your reply).

I think that a horrible mis-truth to be spreading. There is no evidence for posting that and you are doing a dis-service to declawed cats in shelters everywhere.
I don't think GoldenKitty45 was trying to dissuade people from adopting declawed kitties, I think she was just trying to point out some of the potential problems that declawed kitties face. Additionally, she encourages the adoption of those kitties if someone MUST have a declawed cat. Suggesting that she meant for them to be put down is a little extreme IMHO.

I volunteer at a shelter, and it is the unfortunate truth that most of the declawed kitties that come in need lots of special care and a different kind of attention than kitties with their claws. Often they are very afraid, insecure, and require a lot of patience and soothing.

I'm sure other members can post information about why declawing leads to litter box problems (beginning with the pain litter inflicts on their tender little half toes). It is a real problem, not some made up fiction.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure other members can post information about why declawing leads to litter box problems (beginning with the pain litter inflicts on their tender little half toes). It is a real problem, not some made up fiction.
Actually, I think if we only look at the declaw procedure with regards to litterbox issues, then we are doing a disservice to declawed cats. Declawed cats develop UTIs and crystals..just like clawed cats. Declawed cats have a preference for cleanliness..just like clawed cats....declawed cats can have a preference for the location of their litterbox..just like clawed cats. Condemning declawed cats to a life of litterbox issues (without considering other factors) is not the way I would handle it.

We pulled a cat from a shelter who was listed as declawed and having litterbox issues...turned out...she had a tumor the size of a grapefruit. Once the tumor was removed...no more litterbox issues.

I don't support declawing....but I also don't support purpetuating "facts" that aren't necessarily true.

Katie

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that cats shouldn't be declawed and I wouldn't do it. However, I agree with the point that the procedure doesn't doom all cats to bad behavior and litterbox problems, so people shouldn't assume that that's what they'll get with a declawed cat. We had one when I was growing up, and after the operation he never had problems with the litterbox, behavior or play. In fact, he escaped a few times in the backyard and got into cat fights, and he was a skilled fighter (though we couldn't figure out how)... and he wasn't a large cat, either.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another reason not to declaw is money. The operation isn't cheap! My brother is a former vet tech and he tells me that quite often the cat has to go back for further sugery after tearing a suture or excessive bleeding, which drives the cost up further. That's what happened to Freckles former owner - she had the two cats she kept declawed, was given a quote of around $550 but paid over $700 because one cat had to go back to surgery due to complications.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my declawing story... maybe this will change your mind.

I got a kitten when I was born. And back then, we didn't know everything that we know now. Declawing was more popular. And when my parents got my kitten spayed, they got her declawed as well. She was always an indoor cat. However, when I was a teenager she managed to sneak out the door 1 time. 1 time. And we couldnt' find her for 2 days. Finally she came home, limping back the whole way, he face was bloody, and her eye was scratched out, and blinded. And even worse than that, she was emotionally robbed. Her spirit was destroyed and broken. Had she had her claws she would have been able to fight back whatever it was that attacked her. She was never the same girl again. She was always flinching and ducking if you made a sudden move.

I use soft claws on my cat now. They are not very difficult to put on, and last 6-8 weeks. They are ~$20 for 4 applications, and worth every penny. They protect your screens, your couch, even your leg if she starts to slide off a little and tries to grab ahold of you. And they look so pretty. Please don't declaw your cat. I wish that my parents had never gotten my sweet girl declawed growing up...