To deCLAW or leave the CLAWS

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

PLus, like most cats, furniture is a fun thing to scratch. LOL!
Regarding scratching furniture, we bought a product called Sticky Paws. It's similar to double sided tape and safe to use on furniture. It worked very well for our situation. Here's a link so you can check it out: http://www.stickypaws.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WEll, I just took Myla to our vet to get those lil claws trimmed. She's doing great!
Thank you guys again for the wonderful advice. And it only cost me $12. They told me they should be trimmed about every 3 weeks.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am so so so glad that u decided not to declaw your kitty.

Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\tPLus, like most cats, furniture is a fun thing to scratch. LOL!
regarding to the furniture, i think you can put one/some scratching post/s near/around your piece of furniture. it would even be better if you can put some catnip/ catnip spray on the scratching post. for my babies , they choose scratching post but not my sofa in general. i personally think cats scratching sofas since they like the location ( since we are always there
). they probably prefer scratching post if it's near where the sofa is

good luck!!! i hope you can find a to safe your sofa !!!!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

Wow...BIG THANX to each and every one of you guys for confirming my decision here.
MYLA WILL KEEP HER PRECIOUS LIL CLAWS!

I am really glad I had made a thread inquiring about the subject before I went ahead and doing it. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who was pretty much against it. I luv my lil Myla and the last thing I would ever want is to cause her any type of discomfort. She alread went through that while she was at the shelter.

Thank you again!!
fantastic news! you have certainly made the right decision for myla's health and happiness!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though the vet says "every 3 weeks" - cats nails grow fast and if you check them and clip as necessary once a week, they get used to clipping. By trying to do them every 3 weeks and not bothering to play with the feet or check things, you will run into more problems clipping those nails! Believe me!

My guys get checked weekly, but may not be clipped every week. They are used to it and would be ok to go longer - I just do it as a routine and don't have them make a fuss when its time.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I believe it is EXTREEMLY important to weigh all of the information. Cats can have severe problems after a declawing includeing but not limited to constant pain, psycological problems such as loss of bladder control etc. Thankfully that didn not happen with Bosco but he is not in the majority.

If you look on a lot of sites like "Craigslist" and the sort you will see many more declawed cats looking for new homes.... ever wonder why? possibly because of the outbursts they have had since their declawing!?
So true. And you'll find a lot of declawed cats in shelters that have been abandoned as well. Usually because the cat turned into a biter, is aggressive or has litter box issues after being declawed.

I'm am very anti declaw. I feel it is unnecessary and cruel to cut down to the first knuckle on a cats toes just for the convenience of humans. Kittens will be kittens. You could try soft paws nail caps for kittens and nail clipping is a must. For cats there are soft paws, scratching posts and indoor cat trees along with nail clipping. Good luck convincing your mom! I hope it all works out!

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd ever want to declaw. Though I haven't been placed in that situation before either.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitties are always great at the vet or groomer for us because they're so scared they just sit there. But at home when we first started to clip their claws, they would protest and squirm.

So the way we "trained" them to get their claws clipped by us was we did one claw at a time while they were asleep. We'd have the clippers ready (we just use regular large toe nail clippers), grab a paw, push down on one of the toes and the claw pops out and SNIP. Make sure you have treats ready and put two or three down. We just kept rotating and did one claw every day (or night).
Within a couple of weeks (or months), they figure out clipping means treats and that you are not trying to kill them!

Laurie

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
When I first started trimming them, I was really conservative (barely taking the sharp point off) and checked them more often. Now that they are using their scratching posts, I tend to forget until I get scratched or poor Much is either clicking on the floor or gets hers caught in a blanket or something.