To cut fur or not to cut fur????

mrsbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our fat, overweight long haired baby is suffering with the heat. What is the general concensus of having her hair trimmed for the summer? I'm not talking about shaving or shearing her but taking her fur down to maybe on inch. It would also be so much easier to brush her. She can't reach the hair on her back so it gets matted and oily. We would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

Barb

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feel comfortable using most scissors around a cat. They can be unpredictable and jerk at the most unexpected moments (imagine a quick head jerk back to bite at the scissor and end up w/ a poked out eye), and I don't think you'd get a great result.

I don't believe the guard coat is really what makes them very warm and traps oil close to the skin, but rather the much finer undercoat. Something like a furminator would help w/ shedding and lighten that up considerably.

If you have serious matting issues or butt-danglers, then you can bring kitty to a groomer, but its not a true long term solution. Cats need to be able to lick their tail end to avoid hotspots and especially genitalia as their saliva has enzymes that break down bacteria and prevent infection, be it longhair or short.

So the real answer would be a weight loss program, but no more than 1-2% of body weight per week, else your kitty can suffer liver damage. Nearly half of all cats in the US are overweight though, so there is plenty of support and ideas out there. The best is to go onto scheduled feeding for calorie control, and preferably start feeding more wet food and a low-carb kibble (grainfree variety typically are) is also helpful.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I would not feel comfortable using most scissors around a cat. They can be unpredictable and jerk at the most unexpected moments (imagine a quick head jerk back to bite at the scissor and end up w/ a poked out eye), and I don't think you'd get a great result.

I don't believe the guard coat is really what makes them very warm and traps oil close to the skin, but rather the much finer undercoat. Something like a furminator would help w/ shedding and lighten that up considerably.

If you have serious matting issues or butt-danglers, then you can bring kitty to a groomer, but its not a true long term solution. Cats need to be able to lick their tail end to avoid hotspots and especially genitalia as their saliva has enzymes that break down bacteria and prevent infection, be it longhair or short.

So the real answer would be a weight loss program, but no more than 1-2% of body weight per week, else your kitty can suffer liver damage. Nearly half of all cats in the US are overweight though, so there is plenty of support and ideas out there. The best is to go onto scheduled feeding for calorie control, and preferably start feeding more wet food and a low-carb kibble (grainfree variety typically are) is also helpful.
^basically everything he said

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People used to bring in their long haired cats to the groomer all the time that was next to the vet that I worked for. We would sedate the feisty ones for grooming and shaving.

I would say if you want the fur cut down to have a professional do it. Do risk hurting you kitty (or yourself)!

I don't know that I would shave completely down - maybe a cut would help her though for short term? I would address the weight issue though.

She is obviously uncomfortable and can't to properly groom due to her weight issues. What do you us and how often do you bush her out? Not insinuating that you don't care for her - maybe you need different combs or brushes for her coat type.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes do it but by professional. My cat Marsh (passed on) was very timid And I used to clip him with regular scissors every month or so. He had looong silky fur that came out in clumps.

My two new babies are thankfully shorthaired LaPerms! No undercoat, no matting, I dont even brush them.