To any moms of expecting mama cats

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! I am so sorry for you and Tigger. Was Tigger perhaps too young? Nala was no doubt very ill. I think Tigger will probably recover before you do. Last year, when my Katy lost all 3 babies she didn't seem to take long to forget them but then she was very ill herself.

Is Tigger healthy? If so she will be in heat again very quickly and you will have to decide whether to have her castrated or risk her becoming pregnant again.

Meanwhile, I wish you and Tigger a quick recovery and I share in your unhappiness and disappointment.

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww no im so sorry to hear that. This must be such a traumatic time for her. And for you too. Sending my love to you and Tigger. Have you tried a small soft toy. I've heard when a cat has a phantom pregnancy, they 'adopt' a small soft toy to ease their pain of 'losing' kittens that they were never going to actually have. I Quess this situation is kind of the same in the sense she's lost her baby. I'm not 100% sure it's true though!

lizzh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems healthy. And I think about 1 year old (stray so can't be too sure). It was a blessing he survived this long to be fair, but he just gave up as he was improving.

She was booked in before he passed to be spayed on the 24th so that will go ahead. Being VERY vigilant on keeping her inside.

We were thinking we might adopt a kitten. Do you think this would help or agitate her?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She seems healthy. And I think about 1 year old (stray so can't be too sure). It was a blessing he survived this long to be fair, but he just gave up as he was improving.

She was booked in before he passed to be spayed on the 24th so that will go ahead. Being VERY vigilant on keeping her inside.

We were thinking we might adopt a kitten. Do you think this would help or agitate her?
No I really would not recommend it. She is already stressed enough looking for this kitten. Adding a strange kitten into the house at this stage will just stress her out even more.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you were thinking she would mother it. You would most likely be wrong. She would know it's not hers and most likely hate it. Sorry to be so blunt :rbheart:

lizzh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just hoping giving her some company would help. I feel so helpless watching her :(

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was just hoping giving her some company would help. I feel so helpless watching her :(
Honestly I wouldn't recommend it at the moment. I think you will just make the situation worse unfortunately.
I would give her time to get over this first before introducing a new kitten into the household. But when she seems more her old self and only then I would highly recommend a new kitten being introduced to keep her company.

lizzh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No that's okay :) I honestly wasn't sure. We have talked about adopting one since Nala passed in the future, but if it was going to help her we would have done it sooner.

It's almost like she thinks we have hidden him from her. Might go buy her some new toys :)

I hope everyone else's pregnancies, births and starts to life go well :) it's such a rewarding experience!

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiggers got an appointment at the vets, I've had a feel of her tummy and I can still feel at least one moving. So I'm holding out hope for the little guy/girl. She did have a second kitten around 4am but it was stillborn like the first one, and very undeveloped! I didn't want my baby to have kittens, i was always under the impression she had been spayed so her pregnancy was a complete shock to me. Tiggers fine for now, she's sleeping in her box and getting some well deserved rest. She had a very traumatic experience and I'm afraid worse is still to come. I would like to thank everybody on this forum for all of the advice I have received and it has been a great pleasure getting to know some of you and sharing Tiggers story with you and getting to here all of yours too. Please pray for my girl and her unborn babies, it would really mean a lot to us right now :-( Thank you all again and I will let you know what happens at the vets, Tiggs x