Tnr For Strays To?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
forgive me, this is probably a silly question, but I don’t know much about feral cats or TNR. I know stray cats are different then feral cats in that feral cats have become non domesticated whereas strays are more of a house cat without a house. There is a thread going on where someone is talking about fixing a male stray but there are issues. I made the suggestion he try to contact a TNR group, but after thinking about it I’m worried I lead him astray. Do groups that do TNR even work with strays or do they only work with feral cats? I always got the feeling they release them back where they found them because feral cats are happier living on their own, but I don’t know if that’s the case with a stray. Plus they probably have their hands full with the feral cats....I’m feeling pretty guilty now

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since strays are homeless, too, I think TNR is appropriate. It sounds like you gave the right advice! I think if it was a homeless, unneutered/unspayed cat, I can't imagine them not wanting to help. Their goal is to decrease the homeless pet population, so I would think strays would be just as qualifying. Your question was not silly at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh good, thank you so much! I feel better now.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a stray is very tame, it is good to try and see if you can help it get adopted by fostering it or finding a rescue that can help. But if that is not an option, TNR is the best thing you can do. The only disadvantage to getting a tame cat fixed through a TNR program is that they ear tip the cat, and some people will be less likely to adopt an ear tipped cat.

But it is always best to get a cat fixed, and TNR is usually a cheap or sometimes free option.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is a friendly stray who can be handled, the cat could be taken to a shelter because it would be adoptable. Stray cars don't do well on their own outside, they don't know how to fend for themselves. Although taking a cat to a shelter can be heartbreaking, it might be worse to release the cat back outside after the neuter.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the stray cats I have found have gotten adopted through a shelter, but I work through a rescue who can pull the cat out if it gets an URI or something that would cause a shelter to kill it. The rescue group fosters the cat until it is healthy. If it wasn't for the rescue group doing that I would never take the cats to the shelter. Especially a high kill shelter that kills 80-90 percent of all of the cats they take in, like the SPCA in Houston. And if the cat is older or an unpopular color like black, it is even less likely to get adopted. I would rather TNR the cat. I feed all the cats I TNR. I also TNR the cats the neighbors are feeding. But getting the cat adopted is the best thing to do.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with you guys, the really sad thing in this case is the thread starter seems to be very fond of this cat and would adopt him, but sadly the stray cat keeps going after his indoor cat (who wants to be friends and is injured). Of course they have to put their own cat first, but it’s such a shame, the poor stray has been getting beat up. Maybe you guys have some ideas, the thread is here. Getting A Male Fixed

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Surya, excellent point about black cats. It is awful how people hold superstitious views of them. I have 3 black cats. I once found a black stray and found a taker for it, but when my coworker found out it was black, he and his wife said they "changed their mind" and said they did not want a black cat! :purr:

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surya, excellent point about black cats. It is awful how people hold superstitious views of them. I have 3 black cats. I once found a black stray and found a taker for it, but when my coworker found out it was black, he and his wife said they "changed their mind" and said they did not want a black cat! :purr:
Crazy people, I always find it hard to believe someone wouldn’t want a house panther

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His outdoor cat isn't neutered. That could be why he's being aggressive.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our rescue adopts out all friendly strays we trap (after vetting of course). Occasionally, a stray is ear tipped by mistake, but it doesn't seem to deter adoption. Amazingly, we have not had an all black cat at the shelter for awhile. At one time, most of our cats were black. And last fall, we had people actually come in and ask for black kittens! Maybe the little house panthers are finally being appreciated.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His outdoor cat isn't neutered. That could be why he's being aggressive.
It’s s bi confusing the way he wrote it, but I think the outside cat he is talking about Is a stray cat he has been putting food out for who has started trusting him to the point where the cat has started following him into the house. The problem being when he did the cat attacked his own cat. I understand where he has to put his own cat first, he really has a responsibility to his cat. I just feel bad for all three of them, I wish I could think of a way to let them all become one big happy family

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to get the outdoor stray fixed. That will probably make the stray less aggressive and possibly stop attacking his cat. Nothing is going to change for him unless he starts making some calls and asking for some help.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs to get the outdoor stray fixed. That will probably make the stray less aggressive and possibly stop attacking his cat. Nothing is going to change for him unless he starts making some calls and asking for some help.
I agree and it seems to be his plan. It sounds like he is looking for a place with a reduced price. The problem is he doesn’t want the cat in the house again until the hormones are gone and he doesn’t attack his cat. Personally I would keep the stray in s room in the house while the hormones calmed down, but that’s me.