Tnr-ferals, Might Be A Problem

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I need advice. I have two inside cats, each originally feral, born under my porch (now very loving and domestic since I brought them in young). I paid to have both mothers TNR-ed. The first (several years ago) left and never returned. The second was released during the most brutal part of Winter. I left food for her, feeling very guilty. This was about 5 months ago, and one day I finally saw her alone (at least she resembled the cat released), so I fed her. Well, a bit after, she returned with 2 friends who looked similar to her. I noticed they were also TNR-ed, (ears clipped). I fed them once a day at night. Now, there are more randoms prowling around. I'm worried about the birds who nest near the ground this time of year (one returns every year and knows me), and these cats are now hanging out next door, which is a professional building and a gov't building is near by. My neighbors will not take kindly to this influx. They didn't like my indoor cat (years ago) even stepping on their property and this was under supervision (in other words, she was never let out alone, and was originally leash trained).

The TNR ferals used to come, eat and run. Not stick around. This changed this week. I think they had other human sources for food since they looked well-nourished. Now they are hanging around, even at night. They are, of course, urinating around the area, etc. I know this will get me into trouble.

They are friendly enough, but I am no where near petting them, they "talk" to me and walk with tails up, they did pretty much from the start, which makes me think they have at least been fed elsewhere or had human contact to demonstrate this somewhat friendly signal.

I don't know what to do. I feel obligated, I like them, but it hasn't been that long since I started feeding them. Is there a way to ween down the feeding? I can't have colonies here, it is too urban and the properties too close, never mind that I couldn't afford it. Should I contact the shelter for advice? If I didn't have two cats, I would have contemplated trying to domesticate them slowly, bringing them in, or the one in. But I don't want to bring anymore inside and risk spreading illness or discontent to my other "kids". The get along very well.

I'm so upset right now. I feel like I won't fall asleep. I feel like I messed up. The situation seems to be spinning out of control.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Main thing these newbes are all TNR:ed.

If you cant have no colony at your Place, than dont feed them. Being TNRed they should manage anyway. They will almost surely find some other Place. And or ARE decently skilled hunters. (which isnt totally calming for you, as you are anxious for these birds too).

If you can find somewhere else to create a colony, and or find someone other feeder, you could perhaps cooperate. This way you could get a completely good conscience too!

If there is some given candidate for adopting, and you dont mind to have 3-4 residents, you can go on. Make sure you do some vet check up, and a quarantine the first weeks, till they are fully dewormed. As your residents are born homeless, they have surely immunity above average - the weak ones die off first... So as long as you are reasonably careful, there shouldnt be no Medical problems adopting Another one. Also, adopted homeless are on average easier to adapt to residents, than say a bough home boy. There ARE exceptions, the statistics arent ironclad here either, but statistics works for you heavily.
Of course, you cant adopt them all, you dont wanna to be a hoarder. So you must still find some solution. Preferably with creating some alternative colony, with some other caretaker.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile, so I hope the issue is taken care of. Just in case you still have more cats than are welcome, by your neighbors, is there any TNR group in your area? Any way you could ask around to see if anyone feeds stays/ferals?
Are you okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Main thing these newbes are all TNR:ed.

If you cant have no colony at your Place, than dont feed them. Being TNRed they should manage anyway. They will almost surely find some other Place. And or ARE decently skilled hunters. (which isnt totally calming for you, as you are anxious for these birds too).

If you can find somewhere else to create a colony, and or find someone other feeder, you could perhaps cooperate. This way you could get a completely good conscience too!

If there is some given candidate for adopting, and you dont mind to have 3-4 residents, you can go on. Make sure you do some vet check up, and a quarantine the first weeks, till they are fully dewormed. As your residents are born homeless, they have surely immunity above average - the weak ones die off first... So as long as you are reasonably careful, there shouldnt be no Medical problems adopting Another one. Also, adopted homeless are on average easier to adapt to residents, than say a bough home boy. There ARE exceptions, the statistics arent ironclad here either, but statistics works for you heavily.
Of course, you cant adopt them all, you dont wanna to be a hoarder. So you must still find some solution. Preferably with creating some alternative colony, with some other caretaker.
I appreciate your reply and sorry it took so long to return. Today was a bad day, where I caught them killing a bird who had actually become a friend. These birds return and nest in the same spot. They aren't cognizant of cat risks, only if a place seems hospitable for nesting. I put off making a decision and kept on feeding them out of guilt. It's just a very bad situation I may finally have to give up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile, so I hope the issue is taken care of. Just in case you still have more cats than are welcome, by your neighbors, is there any TNR group in your area? Any way you could ask around to see if anyone feeds stays/ferals?
Are you okay?
Thanks for your reply and concern :)