TNR Ear Tag Photos?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

This "tag" istn big, sometimes you can miss it if you only cast a casual glance.
However, it is usually done on the left ear, afaik.

Was she neutered when she adopted your dearest?
Ours have the clipping on the right ear.
, and it is so very small.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the size of the pic. I had a much larger view in my iPhoto ... you see how small the clip is. One person complained that they were making them so small they couldn't tell from a distance. Then the clinic clipped one that took 1/2 the ear off - YIKES! I'm glad mine didn't get a huge clipping - as you can see, I'm in the process of taming them. The little boy (on left) finally let me stroke his back and tail last night!!! His daddy is a stray that we've "adopted", and the son has been watching daddy get petted, and brushed, guess he thought he'd give it a try, too.

This photo, was taken about 1 1/2 months after they were altered, and had their ears clipped.
I think if you click on this link you'll be able to get a larger picture?
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/DSC00546.jpg
Mommy is in the middle, her daughter to the right, and her son on the left.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could someone explain to me what 'TNR' stands for? Also, why are the cats ears notched, or cut away? Isn't that somewhat cruel? It must hurt the cat?

All cats that I've owned have been spayed or neutered, but they never had their ears 'adjusted'....

Thanks for the information!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxiecat03

Could someone explain to me what 'TNR' stands for? Also, why are the cats ears notched, or cut away? Isn't that somewhat cruel? It must hurt the cat?

All cats that I've owned have been spayed or neutered, but they never had their ears 'adjusted'....

Thanks for the information!!
Sure!

TNR (trap, neuter, return) is a way of humanely reducing the stray and feral cat population. It allows stray and feral cats to continue to live outdoors after being humanely trapped, fixed, and vaccinated. These cats then have lifelong caretakers who provide food, water, and shelter. Often, stray cats and kittens, or young feral kittens, are tamed and adopted. Research shows that TNR helps reduce the number of feral and stray cats in communities by breaking the cycle of reproduction.

The ear-tip or notch lets colony caretakers, veterinarians, and animal control know that the cat has already been trapped, spayed/neutered and vaccinated. Ear tipping is done at the same time the cat is spayed/neutered. The cat is under anesthesia, and the process is completely painless. An ear tip can be easily seen from a distance, and it allows caretakers and animal control to easily identify a TNR-ed cat and know that it is not necessary to trap the cat again.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you eilcon....that sounds like a wonderful way to treat the feral cats. Of course, the ear notching is a good way to signify that the cat has been treated.

It's so sad to see the feral colonies, from a human point of view...we want the cats to be loved, be warm, be fed, be like pets. Given the choice, I wonder what the cats prefer??

It breaks my heart to read about people finding abandonned kittens and cats...I live in a cold climate and in the city....so I'm not exposed to those events.....but I would find it so hard just to keep on going down the road. I have friends who live on farms, and in the more country areas....and they say that new cats show up all the time. Thank goodness these two friends, who will have a special place in Heaven, take in the new cats and either find a new home, look for their home (some are just lost), or adopt them. We live in a cruel world.

Thank you for the explanation...I feel better knowing what you're talking about...LOL.