TNR cat with labored breathing

Ninabob5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We noticed that one of the cats in our community has labored breathing; he is eating, grooming and I was able to check his gums and they look ok. We tried to take him to the vet but he got too nervous and wouldn’t get into the kennel and started panting, he has calmed down now; we already had a bad experience that traumatized us with a cat who died on the way to the vet so we cannot take him in that state. Is there anything we can give him to calm down?
Thanks in advance

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really isn’t. You can try calling the vet you plan on taking him to and ask if there is anything they can recommend.

In some states it is legal for a veterinarian to prescribe medication for a feral cat they haven’t seen, but not all.

A cat with respiratory distress can easily be pushed over the edge from stress. You can try trapping him but the stress might be too much for him.

Try calling the vet and see what they recommend.

Is he inside now?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome back again, Ninabob5 Ninabob5 !

Last year you had another cat who started "panting" when you would put him in a "kennel". Back then, you said you "asked if I could give him Gabapentin but since he will go under for surgery the vet said no."

Have you asked the Vet about using Gabapentin for this cat ?

Just because I'm curious, is Gabapentin something that your rescue uses periodically in your work? Under what circumstances ?

Keep up the good work !