TNR? But how to get started

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minor setback on the project. Leo had been scheduled for neuter today, but when he got there, the URI that he and Jemmy seem to be sharing was producing a fever, so his surgery has been re-scheduled and I have medication for them both (will be doing the Revolution, the wormer, and the antibiotic). I think that Leo may actually be slightly younger than Jemmy (he's definitely lighter by almost a pound), so everything should be good in the next few weeks before the new date.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It happens. One of my rescues had to have her spay rescheduled a few times due to lingering health problems.

You'll get there in the end. How are the boys settling in now?

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They seem to be settling in well. I think they've mostly forgiven me already for the doses of medications I gave them before dinner. (Little do they know, that antibiotic is going to be twice a day until it's gone.) Jemmy is making great progress in accepting being touched/handled. He didn't even scratch me at all when I was dosing him (compared to when I was getting him in the carrier for his neuter when he really let me have it).

They're even cautiously thinking about exploring my bedroom (which is safe from mingling because I never open the bathroom door before getting my bedroom door firmly shut with none of my other cats in the room).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good news. And you're able to pill them!? Wow, some of mine have been with me for years and I still daren't try that with them.

:paranoid:

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's liquid, thankfully, so it's not as hard as pilling.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is official: Jemmy and Leo like living indoors. Today, outside is cold and rainy, but look where they are now.

Jemmy also is really coming around to liking human affection. He will give a token hiss, but doesn't actually do anything. You can then pick him up, snuggle him until he starts purring, set him on your lap, and he stays put. Leo head-butts when you start petting him.

Now I just need to get them over this upper respiratory infection they've got going. I bought some baby washcloths (for the extra soft texture), got them wet with plain warm water and washed the crusty discharge away, so now Jemmy can open his left eye again.

Attachments

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, at least half of the socialization is going very well.

For Thanksgiving, I went up to my parents', and my youngest son (who lives in the house with me) fed Jemmy and Leo (and all the rest of my crew + his cat), but because he was also coming for dinner, I told him to leave the bathroom door to my room open (there's another litterbox in my bedroom, currently unused otherwise) just in case they filled the bathroom litterbox before the return.

So now, I am carefully opening my door and dashing through without letting my own cats into the bedroom. Jemmy is pretty much stuck under my bed unless I've just put food down. Last night, with Jemmy under the bed, I just left the bathroom/bedroom door open, and to the best of my knowledge Jemmy didn't come out, but Leo jumped up on the bed to snuggle.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Leo got his neuter today, so I am quite happy. He ran under the bed right at first when we got home, but has since been out and back to his usual head-butting love-bug self.

Jemmy still runs under the bed if I go into the bedroom (I'm now giving them run of the bathroom and my bedroom), but at night he will come up and get on the bed somewhere between my knees and the foot of the bed. Then again, last night when I went into the bathroom, he was under the sink and didn't start with the usual hiss when I went to pet him (he'll hiss, but not do anything, but once you start petting him, he rolls into a belly exposed position).

Now, once I get finances back in order, to continue with the project--I'm hoping to get the females next, though I do hope to get some of the adult toms if they continue hanging out here (for the food) when the females are spayed.

May have now seen Leo's father, apparently lives at a house a block down (which is, of course, well in range for a tom when a female is in heat). But this fellow is bright orange (Leo's more dilute, but then the mother is a dilute calico), but has blue (severely crossed) eyes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that's really great progress. I found my more feral ones tend to be more relaxed when I'm not focused on them. I do a lot of yoga and they started to come really close to me when I was sitting down stretching or doing any reclined pose. They've all been with me for years now and they've actually become a bit of a nuisance. Climbing all over me and trying to give me head bumps whenever I do a forward fold.

:lol:

Yes, the adult toms will stick around for food even if the girls are all spayed. They'll live together much more peacefully once everyone is fixed. Cats have a much smaller home territory and are less inclined to roam if they're spayed/neutered and have a regular food source. It's great that you're able to do so much for these cats.

:heartshape:

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More progress. This morning when I woke up, Jemmy was on the foot of the bed. For the first time, he didn't jump down immediately to go under the bed when I got out of bed (me heading straight to the bathroom). He didn't do that until after I returned to leave the bedroom (to begin the progress of the morning Feeding of the Felines).

Leo, as you can see, has determined that he quite likes the indoor life.

Attachments

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think what I like best about that picture is how bright and clear Leo's eyes have gotten.

Jemmy is starting to stay out from under the bed when I head into the room (usually because I'm en route to my bathroom), and even this morning he didn't jump off the bed when I went to turn off the electric blanket. Hopefully within a week I'll be able to get a new picture of Jemmy, too.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha ... didn't even take that long. Jemmy says that Cousin Leo is right, the indoor life is pretty fine. He's still quite skittish around others (one of my sons has a house across the street from me, he comes here to do laundry and visits the kittens), but we're making massive progress for two little guys who used to live outside all the time a month and a half ago. IMG_20201216_132327.jpg

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the bad news and the good news.

Bad news, I have not seen Callie (the dilute calico who is Leo's mom) at all this month. I wish I knew where she was. Socks and Lady Jane, the other two females from the group, are still regulars.

Good news, the boys are coming out a lot at night for snuggles, and Jemmy no longer always dives under the bed when I enter the room.

Of course, Leo's started showing signs of interest at going beyond the bedroom (and the resident cats are mighty curious from the other side), so now I have to think about whether (and if so, how) to introduce the boys to 6 cats (2 of whom already don't get along with each other and are just always separated).

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile, but I do have some updates.

First, Jemmy and Leo and I have fallen into "foster fail" status. I'm keeping those boys. Domino (my only other male cat) approves of them, as you can see in this "boys' club" photo attached.

Second, I caught one of my females from outside. This is the gray tabby that I call Lady Jane (or just Jane), and she's currently at the vet. Last year, she had a litter of 4 with no survivors, but no more kittens for her. She will be returning outside after her recovery.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have really come a long way!! I am so grateful to you for all you are doing. Lady Kane will have a much easier life now.
Foster fail? Lol Well, I think we all give our hearts to the kitties. Leo and Jemmy look so happy now! I have a few here myself and that content look is a huge reward for helping kitties.:clap2::goldstar::heartshape:

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lady Jane in her recovery room. She's not particularly happy, but she has eaten a tiny bit and used her litterbox. We just have to wait a few more days before it's ok to release her.

Attachments

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, another update, but not as positive.

The female that I didn't capture/spay turned up (no big surprise) pregnant again, and this spring had another litter of kittens. At one point, I saw four, but there are now three survivors who are definitely weaning now (they come up and eat the food that I set out), and I don't think I've seen them nursing in the past week. Two of the kittens, I'm not sure of gender (a gray tabby with white socks and chest, just like the mom, Socks; the other is a brown tabby). The third is calico with white feet. Uh-oh, I don't have to get a decent view of the back side to know what that means (I think gray/white is male, but I'm not totally sure--it's really hard when the only way to view the relevant parts is through the window from the kitchen with a distance of 10-15 feet). Calico also seems to have something wrong with her left eye, I'm not sure what. So somehow, I need to get all four of these.

To add to the complications, my vet is retiring, so I am changing vets but haven't actually established a relationship (of my cats, the next one due is my son's cat whose check up is due in September--I'm going to try to back Leo up from December to November to go together with Jemmy). Plus, I have a significant number of medical bills of my own (with the hysterectomy itself still to process through insurance so that I'll know what my final total is), so I am pretty cashed out.