Tips On Introducing Cat Temporarily In Care

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all :) I've offered to look after a friend of a friend's cat for 3 weeks over the Christmas period, the only trouble is that I have resident cat (Pebble)... Pebble is 1 year old and quite used to being around different cats in a cattery, however a cattery is probably neutral territory, I expect things will be different if I'm bringing a new cat into his territory?

The owner cat I will possibly be looking after has suggested we do a meet and greet between the cats this weekend, does this seem like a good idea? I've read that cats should be introduced slowly between doors but would it be OK to introduce them briefly, say for half an hour or so, a week before the new cat comes to stay?

I have large dog crate (big enough for a doberman) that I've thought could come in handy here. Maybe I could put Pebble or Puss in the dog crate and introduce them that way? Then at least one of them is in the safety of a cage but still able to move about.

Pebble is quite social at catteries and enjoys saying hi to the other cats through their cages. The owner of the cattery also lets him play with kittens if there are any staying when he is there. The cattery owner (also a trained vet nurse and dog trainer) keeps encouraging me to get a second cat but I'm not quite ready too full time yet. I would like to start fostering cats when we eventually buy a house, with a view to adopt a second through that. At home he's alert but not threatening to other cats on the street. He's an indoor cat but I do walk him on a harness in the evenings. There's only one cat he gets worked up over (fluffing, hissing and growling) but it is a cat that started a fight with him when he got outside once, so I think it's just him remembering that.

This new cat has also lived with other cats, so I don't anticipate any problems, but I do have plans in place should the two end up fighting. The new cat can stay either in our smaller spare bedroom or in our garage (which is connected to the house, we pretty much use it as another room but it does lack the full insulation of the rest of the house). I have spare scratching posts, bedding, a fan (it's summer here) and a heat pad I can use for her, so she will be comfortable, but I'd like to do everything possible to ensure that she can be comfortable in the rest of the house with me, my husband and Pebble.

Any tips for this situation?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience it is a rare for two cats to immediately get along. Usually an introduction period is necessary where they are kept separated so they can gradually get used to the other cat. Maybe yours will be that rare situation but if you put them together immediately and it doesn’t go well it may take much longer for them to adjust to one another.

I would also suggest that you forgo the meet and greet, as it may also get them off on the wrong foot and create some negative feelings towards one another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm not expecting them to get on right away either and I do intend to keep the cats separated for at least the first 2 days. I'm just not sure on the best room to keep the new cat in for the first few days... our small, carpeted spare bedroom that gets full afternoon sun and can get hot - or our bigger, concreted cooler garage that doesn't get as hot but is darker and has no view outside? I have rugs, fans and heaters that I can put down in either room, plus I plan on covering the doors with cardboard to reduce the risk of either cat scratching them (we rent so I don't want to damage any paint work).

I think she wants to do a meet and greet for her own peace of mind, I don't mind if it happens either way, it was her idea. Is it worth suggesting we don't do it? It might be helpful for the new cat to at least meet and smell me before being left at our house for 3 weeks?

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that I know it would be ideal if the cat I'm looking after could stay at her own house but unfortunately she lives across the other side of the city from me and I cannot realistically go to her house every day.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s fine for you to meet her cat, I just don’t think that putting one cat or the other in a carrier, taking it to a strange place and introducing to a strange cat will have a good outcome.

As far as where I would keep the cat, I would go for the indoor room where there is less for the cat to get into and where you can let each cat pick up each other scent from under the door.

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I think I'll let her bring the cat over and maybe suggest just letting her cat sniff around me and the room for a bit with my cat outside the room, that way they can at least get each other's scent.

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to cover the floor of the spare room in rubber mats and/or a rug to protect the carpet in case the cat has any accidents?