Tips on cat climbing equipment build

loveblair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm new here!  I would like to construct a cat tree or similar climber for our 13 year-old cat Blair.  She is relatively light-weight at about 8 lbs, and is what we've termed a tree-dweller, where she loves to perch whenever possible.  

She recently relocated from her home of ~12 years to our place, and has been having trouble finding quiet and high places.  We are renting at this time, and I would like to avoid any excessive drilling or installations of equipment if necessary, although it's not required.  I have come across some door-based dwellers, but most seem like shaky options at best, and we have no free doors to place them on anyways!  Further, I drive a small coupe, and would not be able to fit the type of climber I envision inside of it.

Her current place of choice is on top of our snake's cage, as it is warm and the highest point in our bedroom.  However, as this is just on a table, I would like to create a more stable, less disruptable location for her.  Her tail is confusing Iago to no end, as he thinks it is another snake, and I'm sure that's distressing!

I've constructed plenty of pet items in the past, including a variety of reptile enclosures.  When at my parents' home, I have a wide variety of tools and woodworking equipment available.  I have found that the material cost is very low compared to pre-made products, and I enjoy creating things for my pets so they can be happy and healthy.

TL;DR:

I am interested in some feedback on the best type of climber to make for Blair, who loves being up high.  She is 13 years old, but can easily jump and climb.  Despite this, I would like to make something that could accommodate any possible decrease in her abilities as she continues to age.  I was thinking that using some ramps to access the higher perch(es) might be good.  She can be a bit clumsy; she likes to roll and often doesn't realize how close she is to the edge of our bed!

If anyone has any tips on building and design, they would be greatly appreciated.  It is useful to note that Blair has been declawed since kittenhood, so scratching areas are not as pressing as comfort/perching.  Links to designs that might work would be great, as well as any tips for the best possible design for her into older age.

The room for placement has sloped walls on both sides: the lowest height is about 3'6", highest about 7', and the slope spans about 3'.

Thanks!

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, 

We installed a couple of shelves, 1 across a window so the kitties can look out and 1 on the wall leading up to a tall chest with pillows on top.  These are basic white shelves and brackets bought at WalMart for cheap.  We covered them with carpet so the kitties can grab on and feel more secure and comfie.  One thing I read is the angled shelves cannot be more than a 30-degree angle.  I know you said something about you are renting but the holes we made are small and can be covered with spackle and painted over, no problem.  The cat tree structures are not hand made but the 1 Mango Kitty is sitting in was pretty inexpensive.  I think I paid $65 for it and as you can see, she loves it.  If you search on EBay for CARPETED CAT SHELVES PERCH PLATFORM SET OF 3 

you will see carped shelves.  I may end up buying some of those some day, once I get my other Kitty, Pumpkin to come back in the house.  They are in all sizes but I was thinking of getting some of the smaller ones to use in a stair step fashion up another wall.  I got all these ideas from the TV show, "My Cat from Hell."  I can't remember the man's name but he says, a lot of kitties like to be up high, that they feel safer that way.  Makes sense to me.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveblair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions - I didn't realize that those shelves could be installed at an angle and be stable - I'll have to look for more info on the restrictions of angles, as that's a really good point.

Did you have difficulty finding studs to mount the shelves on to when putting them up at an angle?

I feel like the shelving is seeming like a more feasible option now!

Last edited:

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We used molly bolts.  I believe that is what they called.  The package called them "Plastic Anchors with #10 screws."  The screws were 1-1/4 inches long.  We used 3 brackets on that particular shelf so it is in there good, and there's no way it's coming out.  That way we could install it into the drywall and not have to worry about finding studs.  If you research the web there are a few sites that mention the shelves needing to be no more than a 30-degree angle.  Otherwise, the cats won't use them.  I know with our new cat tree there is a ramp which is very steep and they avoid it like the plague.  What a joke.  I suppose they could use it as a scratching post....

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the kind of bolt being talked about, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_(fastener)

They are made to go into plasterboard and hold firmly.  Read the pack to see what size screw you need to make the hole it goes into - they are quite large sizes.  And put a small drill in first as you might find you have the stud (wood) where you want to put one in which case a normal screw will do just fine, and drilling the big size hole straight off makes it harder not easier.

Do use fixtures that won't corrode.

wasabibenny3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I don't know if you are going to make the tree yourself or try buying one. if buying, I looked on CraigsList and found one in my area for 1/3 retail price so I'd suggest trying that if you are looking to buy. Some cats don't like trees or are too fat to get up in them so owners will sell barely used items for a good price. 

Keep in mind that most cats like cozy areas (like a donut bed) and they like different textures to scratch their claws on- carpet or rope. They also like height so they can see out windows or be closer to you for petting purposes! 

Good luck with them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveblair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I don't know if you are going to make the tree yourself or try buying one. if buying, I looked on CraigsList and found one in my area for 1/3 retail price so I'd suggest trying that if you are looking to buy. Some cats don't like trees or are too fat to get up in them so owners will sell barely used items for a good price. 

Keep in mind that most cats like cozy areas (like a donut bed) and they like different textures to scratch their claws on- carpet or rope. They also like height so they can see out windows or be closer to you for petting purposes! 

Good luck with them!
I'd like to build if possible, as I have a pretty small car and may have to leave it behind if I leave the area (I am attending school on Long Island, but do not want to live here after).  

The Craigslist recommendation is one I hadn't even thought of - thanks!

Blair already has a bed that I was looking to place on the perch she would have - she doesn't use it much now, not high enough!