Tips for Vacationing without kitty

allison22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

First off, if I am posting in the wrong forum, I sincerely apologize. The moderators can move this post as they see fit. My husband and I don't have a cat yet, but we are considering getting one. We are trying as responsible people and hopeuflly pet parents, to think of all the scenarios beforehand. One of these is vacations. I know that I'd love to take our new kitty when we have her on vacation with us, but also know this will not always be an option. I used to live in the U.S. as that is where I grew up and now reside in Spain. As you can imagine, trips to the states and other destinations are inevitable. My question is what do those of you who take vacations do with your kittys? Are some cats good travelers? If we went somewhere local, I'd love to take our kitty with us. But I know this will not be possible when we visit the states. So, any suggestions, tips or advice? I have been a  feather Mommy to six birds. Whenever we went away, we had someone we knew come to the house. They were never left alone, but we were still able to take vacations. I know cats are different, and since I've never owned a cat, I thought I'd ask your opinion on this. I'm sorry for the long and rambling post. Just trying to think of all possibilities and be prepared for each. Trying to be the best pet parent I can.

Musically,

Allison

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a great idea to learn all you can and take everything into consideration before taking on a new pet. If more people did so, maybe less would end up in shelters. So I cheer you for doing so.

If you get your new kitty used to traveling from an early age, I don't see local vacations being a problem. You could consider getting the cat harness trained also. This is very good for cats who travel, as you can walk him/her if a break from driving is necessary. Also reduces the risk of harm coming to the cat, cause it can't escape by accident. A good safe carrier you'll need also. For long distance travel, where you'd be away for a time, it should be no different really then when you had your birds cared for. Of course if it is a kitten at the time you have to be in the states, that may be an issue, as they really need a lot of attention. But if adult, they usually are fine with someone coming in a couple of times a day to take care of feeding, cleaning litter and possibly giving some play time.

I know many of the members here travel and may have some more tips to add. Welcome to TCS btw

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It honestly depands on the cat. Some cats are great travellers adn others find it extremely stressful. For a cat that enjoys it, a good, solid carrier, travel litter box (you can get disposable ones, pre-filled with litter) and food and water bowls are a good start. You'll also need to make sure your cat is regualrly up to date with vaccinations, as a lot of hotels that allow pets will require them. A microchip and collar are also good ideas if you're going to be out with your cat a fair bit.

If you end up getting a cat who finds travel hard or stressful, though, the easiest is to leave them home witha cat-sitter visiting every day for food and companionship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allison22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Babygirl and Ms Freya,

Thank you for your helpful tips. I will keep all your suggestions in mind. We will not bring a cat if our circumstances are not right. I want to learn all I can to make the right decision for all concerned. If we have a kitty that don't feel comfortable with traveling, we would leave her home and have someone in to take care of her. Thank you again for all your helpful suggestions.

Musically,

Allison

lucylittlekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I travel in the area with my two cats all the time and they love it. I have had them both go in the car with me since they were babies, so they just think its part of life. They also love car rides because it means we are going to visit grandma (my mom) and they love her house.
Both of mine are leash trained and I will actually take my cat with me on walks sometimes. The trick really is to start as a kitten.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you because DH and I either don't take vacations or vacation separately (visiting our respective families) so someone will be home with the kitties.  We are outside the bell curve, I know, but we just don't trust anyone to care about them the way we do.  My vet takes one of her cats with her everywhere, vacation, hotels, on a boat, absolutely everywhere, and he does great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allison22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for your informitive post. I will definitely keep all your tips in mind.  I think getting them used to travel when they are babies is a great start. THanks again for taking the time to answer my post.

Musically,

Allison