Tips For Stray Cat Owners

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey I’m tyler(ty) I have recently saved a stray cat behind my work. I took her to the vet and got her dewormed and good amount of vaccinations. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks to help to her get used to the new environment. If anyone could help I’d be so thankful

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: C CatTYlover , welcome to TCS!

Thank you for saving this kitty and have her dewormed and vaccinated and for giving her a warm and loving fur-ever home.

As for a new environment, she might be hiding for awhile as the surroundings sight and sound is new to her. Best is to make sure the room or house is cat safe meaning keep all medications, human food, plants and flowers and toxic household cleaning chemicals out of reach and make sure that there's no escape route for her.

Create a safe room for her and you can leave a few pieces of your clean unwashed clothings with her and around the room so that she can get use to your scents. Also keep noise to the minimum and approach her slowly and keep yourself as low to the ground as possible to make yourself appear small to her so that she don't feel intimidated by your size. Speak to her in a soft gentle voice and try to play with her using a cat wand. Do not approach her suddenly but give her ample notice that you are entering the room.

Keep her litter box away from her food and keep the litter box clean. Never shout or punish you cat.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any, we will be glad to help answer them.

first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
the-five-golden-rules-to-bringing-an-outdoor-cat-inside.33261
bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
how-to-get-a-cat-to-come-out-of-hiding.33840
9-tips-that-will-help-your-kitten-adapt-to-a-new-apartment.33871
5-reasons-to-never-spray-water-on-your-cat.33819

Also do check out the the rest of the informative articles here in
Articles | TheCatSite and do show us photos of your kitty :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information I’m working on the cat safe environment for now I have her contain to 2 connected rooms she is warming up to me and actually is sleeping with me at the moment she’s not really went hiding since earlier yesterday, do you think she will be happy and healthy being an indoor cat I know she’s used to being outside, but I live in a rural area and I don’t want her to get hurt. And she’s been having runny stool do you think it’s because she isn’t used to the food I stopped giving her tuna at about 12 pm yesterday afternoon she’s on hard food now but she also has a chipped kanine do you think that’s safe until I can get that tooth pulled?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good that she's warming up to you. Of course the best thing is that she be an indoor cat. Its safer for her and she'll live a longer and healthier.

As for her runny stools, it could be due to the food change. It takes awhile for her system to get use to the food. Make sure she have fresh water available all the time if she's eating dry food. Wet food is good as it's full of proteins and not carbohydrates as dry food is and wet food keeps the kitty hydrated if she does not drink water.

As for her tooth, its best to let the vet check it out make sure that her dentals are in good shape and also the vet's opinion on the chipped tooth. If you are concern about her eating with the chipped tooth, feed her wet food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are literally her guardian angel! Bless you for taking her in, she will bring you many years of love and companionship. If she is sleeping with you already, everything is going well, the worming and anxiety she is feeling about all this new change may be contributing to her diarrhea. Thank you for saving her!

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don’t have to thank me and thank you tabbytom you’re a real help and I have already discussed with the vet about the tooth she’s got an appointment for it to be pulled. Thank you for all the support.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she is sleeping with you, I feel like she is going to be fine being an indoor kitty. It's a big adjustment, she just needs some time to get used to it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are up to it and I would get her a well socialized male kitten after she settles into your home. Our semi-feral was a stray we pity fed. He learned a lot about how to interact with humans from watching his people and the other cats interact. I make my boys sit for treats/wet food. Imagine my surprise when one day I shake the treat bag and he runs up & sits for me! I never taught him that! He also gained confidence from watching our other cats and seeing that they were not afraid (though he is still not good at opening doors ;) )

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have other adult cats but she stays with me downstairs because we also have dogs she really is skittish when someone else walks in the room I have my bed layed out so there’s an L shape on the ground between the gram and the wall and she’s made that her safe zone when she feels uncomfortable so I just feel it’s best not to introduce her to the other pets

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Frame* and because she runs there when another human walks in the room

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere::noob: You are a wonderful person to have saved this marvelous kitty. What is her name? Our girl Gypsy was a neighborhood stray before she allowed us to turn over our heart and home to her, we only let her outside with us on a leash in a harness. If you are feeding human canned tuna, that might be the reason for the loose stools. Does your girl have toys and windows to look out of? Check out some threads around the site for interesting and helpful tips. Make sure to post her picture on the black cat thread. Keep us updated. You're doing great. :dancingblackcat::purr:

Last edited:

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her off the tuna now and I ain’t gonna lie I when pretty basic with the name shadow but she responded to it more than anything else I tried and thank you all for the support I was a little skeptical a main reason I came to this site but I’m so thankful for the vibes and support everyone is giving

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And as for toys I’ve tried but she isn’t into it she’s 5-7 years is what the vet said when I took her in and yeah she’s got a walkway straight up to a window

CatTYlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She isn’t really willing to go anywhere if I don’t go there she’s really my lil shadow

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a shadow cat Again this is where your other cat comes in handy. You play with the other cat and she learns from watching. It may take her time to come out of her shell. Our semi-feral plays a bit... you just need to find the right toys.

In the meantime can you put a bird feeder in a tree and give her a prime window perch to see the tree? Can you give her a water fountain if you don't have one and grow her some cat grass? Bring the outdoors in a bit.

It isn't nutrious/balanced but my boys love the fancyfeast broths. (I break up the meat with a fork.) Or you can mix the broth or tuna juice or cat broth (sold in pet stores, no onion or garlic) into the dry food and give her a wet/dry food mix 2-3 times a day.