tips for a lonely kitty?

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we just moved to the Houston area from IL. Autumn went from a house with two dogs, (who she loved to play with, sleep with, etc.) to a house whers she is the only pet.

She seems to be adjusting pretty well -eating, using her box, even finding her favorite "spots" in the new house. The problem is, I think she is lonely for the dogs. She follows me everywhere, and when I leave and come back she is stuck to me for hours. I don't have a problem with this - I think its cute
-but I don't want her to be sad.

I would love to get her a kitty companion, but we moved to my parents house (so I could go to school,and lots of other reasons...) and my dad won't let any other cats in the house..had a hard time getting him to let be bring Autumn.

Anybody have anysugggestions to help her? I have a little stuffed mouse for her that smells like the dogs, and I make sure to give her lots of love when I am around, but I want her to be happy!

Thanks

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a window she can look out at the world? They love watching the neighborhood going-ons. I also recommend putting on some soft music while you are away. The noise will keep her company and keep her mellow. Toys where you put treats in a ball and she has to bat it around to get the treats is a great toy for while they are alone.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave her a piece of your clothing, maybe a sweatshirt you have worn. Don't wash it, your scent will comfort her and she can curl up on it when you are away.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a birdfeeder outside a favorite window and keep it filled. Cat TV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the tips! she does have some windows to look out of, and I will try the thing with putting treats in a toy and leaving some music on in the house

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I can't wait until I can afford to get Holland a friend. But I agree with the other suggestions, Holland loves to sit and watch out my sliding glass door - I live on the 3rd floor of my building, and there is a big tree right next to the patio so there are usually squirrels and birds for her to watch. I also leave the TV or radio on when I'll be gone all day or for a couple of days.

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try keeping an aquarium. I have one primarily for my own amusement, but it seems to be the equivalent of kitty TV. My cats are fascinated with the fish! Just get a good cover on it...mine will reach their paws in to mess with the fish, and drink the water. I've had to modify my setup to make it catproof.

Also I'm sure paws that walk in the litterbox can't be good for the fish's water.

Or get a second cat. Two cats are more than twice as fun as one cat.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

Two cats are more than twice as fun as one cat.
Just as I read that, here comes Holland batting her little mousie around the room...
I'm not sure if she has more fun playing or if I have more fun watching her. What's not fun though is CONSTANTLY having to dig it out from under the couch...