Tip: Never feed your cat with cold cat food served directly from the fridge.

catitudes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

the last thing I'm thinking about is heating up the 1 tbl spoon of food my vet suggested I feed to help them loose weight (I used to feed 1/8 cup dry)
I am very happy to read this post. I began switching my overweight kitty from dry to wet about 4 months ago. Since I had no idea how much he was eating or how often when he was free-fed dry, I had to let my kitty tell me how much to feed him. Within two weeks of the switch it was clear he would only eat 1 tablespoon roughly every 4 hours. I was resoundingly chided on several web boards with charges of underfeeding my cat, this in spite of the fact that my kitty would only eat until he was full and absolutely refused to overeat.

It is nice to see a vet has recommended exactly what my kitty taught me a few months back.

Originally Posted by KarmasMom

I usually give Karma a 1/4 of a can a day, then put the rest in the fridge. So it usually sits for 4 days by the end of the can.
I do the same, except upon opening a new can, I empty the can into a small plastic dish with an air tight lid. This keeps the food from drying out in the fridge. When I first switched my kitty from dry to wet, it would take him 3 days to finish a 5.5 oz. can. Now that he is adjusted to wet, he can finish a 5.5 oz. can in two days. He has never gotten sick from 2-3 day old food being stored in the fridge.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually add a tablespoon or 2 or hot water and stir which warms the food from the fridge and also makes more gravy which they like.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I usually add a tablespoon or 2 or hot water and stir which warms the food from the fridge and also makes more gravy which they like.
That's a great idea, thank you!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear they can eat their food cold!!

Maui gets a 1/2 can of Nutro every night and the kittens share 1 can of the kitten Nutro (I think this week we'll see if they can each eat an entire can on their own though). So Maui's is kept in the fridge every other night & the kits get a brand new can everyday.

Usually I remember to take the can out for a few minutes before I feed him to let it warm up a bit but it was always a pain when I would forget! I would just grab a new can and feed him that then just have two cold cans for two nights in a row....

Anyway- it's good to hear I don't have to do that anymore! I'll still try to remember to let it warm up a bit but in case I forget this will be nice! I'll just keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't upset his tummy.

Isn't it funny how cats act like they're starving to death every night!? When I remember to take the can out of the fridge he usually never notices since I just do it casually while I'm in the kitchen- but if he knows I'm putting it into dishes- they alllll go crazy!

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet suggest me not to buy Friskies or Whiskas
Better find a good pet store and buy quality food
not labels and brands
Just good quality cat food
I suggest you do the same

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet suggest me not to buy Friskies or Whiskas
Better find a good pet store and buy quality food
not labels and brands
Just good quality cat food
I suggest you do the same
This is a very old thread @Mau Harry  , more than ten years old now. I doubt any of the original posters will respond.