Timid/scared cat

fjartiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi = D I just wanted to say that we have a cat (have had cats all my life more or less), but yesterday we get a cat which is six years old, and she's really nice when you pet her and so.
But I wonder a bit because I never had a cat like this before ...

Well she is "really" shy (or scared or whatever you want to call it) She is under the stairs and drill her face against the wall and refuses to have any contact, I brought her because I felt she needed a new home more than anyone else, I cant "handle" kittens no matter how cute they are.
So this is a perfect age for me and family.

I picked her up Yesterday at 12:00 and she has yet not been eating or drinking, so she has everything in front of her, but she turns around and refuses to engage in any contact that is provided, and now I do not mean that I stand o jumps and doing everything for her to be with, but of course I look at her now and then, but nothing "to" her, but just talking calmly.

I know that some cats can have it like that, but the thing is I've never had a cat brought to my home, and are (would be) separated to the rest of the "movements" for so long and never gotten interested in what all other is doing!
I'm not saying she has had it hard, but the family was kind but could not have her as their new cat was really mean to her and she did not manage it.
But she was in a room for her selfs ... She is scared of strangers and sure, some cats are at first but still nosy on what the new home brings.

So my question really is, how long is too long without food and drink, I've set up there, but she dont want it and I put it so that she does not need to move either so she turns around or move, do not want it even if i walk away.
I do not hunt her with the food, but only so she does not rush to "look" for it.

I have a cat (he's used to other cats and dogs) and he has begun to show the same "concern", he refuses to go down on the floor and is very stiff, to understand my cat, I must tell you and he is a cat with "non" or very little defend territories and cares not normally to other cats, so we have other cats come and go and "visit" us and that's ok .. he walks around and greets, but this ... it is that he knows of, stay away and he has not eaten today, which he does (small meals throughout the day) and he threw up 2 times today, which is not normal for him, so I think he is a bit stressed out, which is understanding thought ... but he has never behaved like that around other cats, I guess that's why I get a little silly ... my gut says that reached not true.

Well .. your opinions on how long they manage to sit like that ... I know that healthy animals do not starve themselves, but she has not eaten since before reached 12 yesterday, and she had no food bowl or water in the room she was in where I picked her up .. so I do not know when she ate last.

Sorry for the bad typing.. =D Swedish here and trying to get ideas all over.. really on my wits here.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get her to a vet asap .... for a basic check and to talk about the no eating or drinking issue...

Do you have feliway running? or the spray available? If yes please use in the room she is quarentined in...If not it may be a good thing to pick up

Where did she come from ? ie shelter , someone home?

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I brought Franny home she was 2 1/2. She spent the first week under a love seat. She would "sneak out" to eat and use the litter box when she thought no one was looking. This will take some time but will likely work itself out. Make sure that she has access to food water and litter box at all times. When she feels the coast is clear she will eat etc. I talked to Franny but never approached her. Over several weeks she spent more time out and less time under the love seat. Now, 2 years later i can't watch TV without her stuck to me somewhere and she sleeps curled up under my arm
As long as she has access to food and water, and some quiet time, she will eat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my advice is similar to Kyle's, just leave her alone, making sure she has access to food and water. I adopted a kitty and I did not see him for 2 weeks
She is probably just scared and trying to adjust to her new surroundings, if food is there, she will eat it when she gets hungry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fjartiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys =D Sorry again for my bad grammar and spelling =D.

She seemed better this last night, she got up in the bed earlier then the night before.. she stuck to us almost all night.. but the food is upstairs and nothing has changed in the bowl.
She has been to the litter tray though, or at least I think she have.
She is now under the mattress-
I got her from a privet home.. where she been a single room alone with no other family members inside to comfort her.
Sure they said they have had her from start, little that is, but she was (is) SP scared of new ppl, and i dont think she ever will get used to it, and I am worried as I have 4 kids, that are running in and out of the house.

I am just hoping that she will manage... cause if she will hide as soon as someone move, I am not sure this is a good home for her, but time will tell.

thanks again =D.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fjartiz

but she was (is) SP scared of new ppl, and i dont think she ever will get used to it, and I am worried as I have 4 kids, that are running in and out of the house.
It has only been 2 days so I wouldn't worry yet. Like I said, Franny spent a week under the couch. If she is spending most of the night on your bed I suspect she is a social cat
She just needs time to adjust.

fjartiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KyleW

It has only been 2 days so I wouldn't worry yet. Like I said, Franny spent a week under the couch. If she is spending most of the night on your bed I suspect she is a social cat
She just needs time to adjust.
Well no I mean as she was like that in the other home as well, and they have had her for 6 years... kwim... see what I mean?

If she never will change... I am not sure we are the right home for her... as 4 kids and a "busy" home (not busy as not home, just busy something is always happening, kids have friends over and so forth.. kwim?)

fjartiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
... but we will give her time.. should have said that lol we are.. but I have emailed the previous owner to see if she was like that, although she did answer me when i asked her if she was scared of all strangers, and she said yes.

But we will see =D

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! She will learn and adjust as best as she can! Bless you for giving her a new home!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic!!!! what a pretty little girl
looks like she's decided that you are all right after all

fjartiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you
all =D

Well I think we need to (I at least) save more older cats, the kittens are so easy to some point to get a new home.. =D But I see so many advantage of getting a older cat, peace and quiet "most of the times" lol and no need (most of the times again lol) no litter training and they usually have their ways already.

=D