Time to say Goodbye?

FelineRosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 year old cat has kidney disease, so bad that the kidneys are so small they can't find them when doing a physical. I am confused because he doesn't seem that bad. Does anyone know what stage feline kidney disease has to be for that to happen?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet should be able to run lab work that tells you what percent of kidney function remains. I would then talk to them about life expectancies given his remaining kidney function and what can be done to extend it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By doing a physical, I take it to mean that you are talking palpation? That really can't tell you anything, tbh. You need a full blood work up (CBC, Super Chem) to start with and probably an ultrasound to take a serious look at the kidneys. Most cats lose over 75% of their kidney function before it truly becomes apparent. If he is still acting fine, he could be near or close to that range, but feeling for the kidneys in a physical exam isn't going to help one bit.

Have you heard of this web site (see link below)? It is loaded with very, very valuable information about kidney disease in cats. It is also overwhelming, so expect to read through what you can, stop, and go back later to gather more information. But I promise you it is well worth the effort. There are stages discussed as well. And there are many things that can be done to help him live longer and more comfortably as his disease progresses.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)