Tikicat Food...

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our poor dear Pawnee spent 6 months last year on itraconazole as treatment for histoplasmosis. It was a long, difficult time. She felt terrible, and keeping her eating was a challenge. She finally agreed to eat TikiCat Chicken with Egg flavor food, so we kept her on that for the better part of a year. After she tested clear for the histo, we really wanted to get some weight back on her, but all she would eat was TikiCat. For months, she stayed thin, her coat looked awful and she shed constantly. I realized that the TikiCat food is like 2.5% fat. I plied with her all kinds of canned food, had a nutritionist recommend a homemade diet, tried a raw mix, kitten food, and at LAST she began to eat selected other types of premium grain-free canned food. Since we got her off the Tiki, she has gained almost two pounds, her coat is thick and glossy, she looks like a new cat. I feel TERRIBLE that we were malnourishing her all that time, but during her illness it was all we could get her to eat (even with appetite stimulant). I don't know if others have had a similar experience with the TikiCat brand? I should have paid more attention to the contents, but I guess also wanted to share that maybe this brand of cat food - which is good in other respects (grain free, meaty, no carageenan or guar gum, etc.) - may be too low in fat for some cats to thrive on!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You did the right thing at the time, since she was so reluctant to eat anything else, and now you're back on track, good for you!!

Feeding our cats can be complicated, in part because said cat won't budge from a certain food, and the manufacturers are the other factor that can really create a challenging environment.
:rock:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Tiki is a great food, but it is low fat. Its in my rotation, i keep low fat, moderate fat, and a few higher fat foods in the rotation.

Dont feel bad, sometimes you have to feed what they will eat, especially if they are sick. It kept her healthy so that she could get well enough for you to start getting her to accept other foods. In my book you did the right thing, and it seems to have worked out :clapcat:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a brand I feed called Redbarn. Their lamb pate is very high in fat and my picky eater adores it! See if she will go for that.

Also, Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org talks about using bacon fat as an appetite stimulant. Making Cat Food (a little more than halfway down the page) Maybe you could mix some bacon fat into the tiki cat?