Tiki Cat Koolina Luau-chicken

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Pawnee has been through hell and back with weirdo illnesses - a terrible vaccine reaction, and then 6 months of treatment for histoplasmosis. Over the course of all this was the titanic struggle to keep her eating. We FINALLY settled on the Tiki Cat chicken flavors, and she has been eating it regularly for a year or so now. However, she has been looking a bit seedy lately - coat rough, weight not where we'd like it. I tentatively started offering some higher fat foods (Tiki is only 2.9% fat), and she has taken to Purina Beyond Chicken and Sweet Potato (5% fat) very well, so I'm alternating meals. She's almost 10 (we think, she was a stray or a lost barn cat 8 years ago), so I looked at senior formula foods, but they seem to think old cats get fat so the food is lower fat, where my experience is that the oldies tend to dwindle and get skinny! I see an improvement in her already, though, so I guess I'm curious if others have had cats simply not do that well on Tiki Cat foods. Any other suggestions of foods to add a little bulk and shine to a dear old thing would be welcome!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried much low fat foods, but I always read that you want high protein, med fat and low carbs. So it sounds like adding some fat in her diet is the right way to go.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say I LOVE your picture of your cat staring out of the leaves!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the extra fat is probably helpful for her coat. And you're right to be thinking of keeping the calories up rather than feeding some of those spurious senior diets with higher carbs and lower fat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a lot of this Tiki wet food. It is very low in fat, and in calories. I supplement with dry, i use Dr. Elseys chicken for dry. I dont think i could get my cats to eat enough Tiki to get the calories and fats they need to stay healthy.

I think your on the right track, incorporate in some higher calories, higher fat foods that she might like. I would still keep some Tiki in her rotation as the high protein is good for her. IMO

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything pork tends to be higher fat. Redbarn lamb is high in fat too. Mine are very picky about any canned food, so they alternate between Merrick rabbit (low fat) and Redbarn lamb (high fat). It keeps them in a good weight range.
You can order a case from Chewy or there's a place called the big bad woof that will let you order cans of Redbarn individually!