Tiki Cat After Dark

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been lurking for tiki cat content here and it seems to be pretty well liked, my cat ate the chicken and duck, and the quail and chicken variety; and went at it like a madwoman - and scarfed it down so wildly that she damn near choked. (never happened before.) I think it's fair to say she likes it! Just wanted to ask about the pork, I thought cats aren't supposed to have pork? There's two cans of 6(?) flavors, one flavor is pork. Should I feed that one, is it okay because it's not a whole lot? I could also just buy all the flavors outside of the pack and skip pork next time. Also, what does everyone think of this brand / line of food?

Sort of related, she's about 7.9lb right now; very active. she ate two sheba wetfoods and a can of tiki which comes to about 128 calories, but begged for more sheba by nightfall. should I feed another helping of sheba (160 calories) today or not? I didn't feed her what the was begging for last night because she had just eaten a new food and I didn't want to mess up her stomach, but I'm wondering how manly calories I should be stuffing in and if three sheba wetfoods+a can of tiki is excessive or not enough. I would like to add that I'm trying to get her to 8 pounds or so, because that was her usual weight before she went through a tummy issue of which has just cleared up a week back or so.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with feeding pork to cats! And I doubt the Tiki food has much of it to begin with. (The foods that preceded After Dark had almost all chicken with just a garnish, basically, of the other meat.)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Tiki Cat a lot and was feeding it
regularly until Olive decided she is strictly a pate girl. I tend to feed pork, I haven’t heard any reasons against it.

As for calories, a good guideline is 20-25 kcal per lb to maintain weight, so it sounds like 160 kcal is more in line for 8 lbs, maybe a but more if you want her to gain a little.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys love it and eat it all the time. I feed them the chicken and duck, chicken and quail egg, and the chicken and lamb. I really like how it has other organs in it besides just liver. I do wish they would add more protein options and not be so chicken heavy, but now that my boys are back to liking their Rawz pate, I'm not as worried they are eating too much of one protein anymore.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiki cat is one of the foods I rotate for my cat and she loves it. I haven't tried the pork, she likes the chicken&lamb.
Curiosity killed the cat; I know.. But, mind sharing your rotation? New to the concept and like to hear others.. Yeah, the chic+lamb was the one she shoveled into her mouth so fast that she choked; and then hit me for trying to take from her! I am now only feeding tiny portions at a time, ol' tubby here can't control herself.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with feeding pork to cats! And I doubt the Tiki food has much of it to begin with. (The foods that preceded After Dark had almost all chicken with just a garnish, basically, of the other meat.)
Hm.. Well, I am told that fish and red meats are not good in high quantities so I try to refrain from them, out of caution. I suppose you're right though; the other meats are really kind of garnishes.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Tiki Cat a lot and was feeding it
regularly until Olive decided she is strictly a pate girl. I tend to feed pork, I haven’t heard any reasons against it.

As for calories, a good guideline is 20-25 kcal per lb to maintain weight, so it sounds like 160 kcal is more in line for 8 lbs, maybe a but more if you want her to gain a little.
Mine's the opposite it seems, she loves chunks and shreds she can drag all over the place and gobble up.. She's a weirdo. Cool, thank you! I'm confused mostly because she also has boiled meat on top of her food but I'm unsure the calories of said meat or how to find out; but I guess we'll keep going 160 and see how her weight goes; and adjust from there

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll chime in too with my rotation, although like I said I stopped feeding Tiki Cat due to Olive’s preferences rather than anything I didn’t like about the food. Olive hates turkey and generally prefers thicker pates. I feed no peas, potatoes or grains, and I only have one food (Fromm) that uses gums. I only occasional add a fish flavor, although her treats sometimes have fish in them.

We feed 4 meals per day.

Breakfast and Second Dinner I rotate between 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can: Fromm Chicken and Duck Pate, Rawz Rabbit Pate and Rawz Duck Pate.

Lunch: 1/2 of 3 oz can of Life’s Abundance (I swap between the Instinctive Choice and the Pork & Duck)

First Dinner is a Primal Nugget freeze dried raw, each time I buy a new bag I choose a different flavor. Her favorite seems to be Rabbit, Chicken&Salmon or Pork.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Curiosity killed the cat; I know.. But, mind sharing your rotation? New to the concept and like to hear others.. Yeah, the chic+lamb was the one she shoveled into her mouth so fast that she choked; and then hit me for trying to take from her! I am now only feeding tiny portions at a time, ol' tubby here can't control herself.
I feed 2 wet meals a day, 1/2 a small can. The wet foods are Tiki cat chicken & lamb, blue buffalo wilderness chicken, blue buffalo wilderness salmon, and wellness core chicken & beef shreds. She also gets 1/2 a cup dry blue buffalo wilderness chicken to nibble on thru the day. I tried venison, but she strongly rejected it