Tigger

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be phoning the vet for her tomorrow

I'm really scared the injury she got in 2020 that meant her whole leg had to get pinned back together, might be starting to mess up again, during the last 2 nights she's been bunnyhopping a bit then when she starts to go back to normal she doesn't like fully weight bearing on her bad leg for a few seconds, she is putting a lot of her weight on it but after bunnyhopping she'll (while she's going back to normal use of her legs) visibly favour her good back leg

i'll post a update tomorrow after i spoke with the vet

The pain meds they sent her home with last time she did this don't seem to be doing much this time, they said she can't have them every day though cause they worried its going to affect her kidneys

idk if it'll affect her livers they didn't say last time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she just moaned trying to jump onto me, i lifted her up cause she couldn't do it herself

she's rumble purring on me now <3

last time when she couldn't jump and kept moaning when she tried, the vet didn't have a choice but to put her on the pain meds for several weeks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are hardly, if any meds that exist that can't possibly affect either the kidneys or the liver, as one or the other is used to process them. It all depends on how important the meds are to risk the chance, and how not giving her a med diminishes her QOL. I know you have other threads, which I did not go back and read (yet), but if some or all of her pain is related to arthritis settling in that injury location (which is highly likely), there are things like Adequan or Solensia that may help with that. Can they impact her kidneys or liver? Probably so, just because, as I said most meds are either processed by the kidneys or liver. But what good is letting her suffer in pain to spare her a little bit more 'time' with either organ, should that even end up being an issue?

Last edited:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are hardly, if any meds that exist that can't possibly affect either the kidneys or the liver, as one or the other is used to process them. It all depends on how important the meds are to risk the chance, and how not giving her a med diminishes her QOL. I know you have other threads, which I did not go back and read (yet), but if some or all of her pain is related to arthritis settling in that injury location (which is highly likely), there are things like Adequan or Solensia that can help with that. Can they impact her kidneys or liver? Probably so, just because, as I said most meds are either processed by the kidneys or liver. But what good is letting her suffer in pain to spare her a little bit more 'time' with either organ, should that even end up being an issue?
I do give her the meds when she needs them to control her pain (the metacalm), the vet himself said not to give her the metacalm all the time though, I'll be taking her back in when I can get a appointment for her so she's not going ouch when she's jumping, I have a pet staircase for her which she used for a time but she (and Willow) have decided it's there as a bed, I don't think its yet affecting her quality of life - tonight she decided to be cheeky to her sister Willow, and decided it was a wonderful game to sit on Willow's face, resulting in her getting hissed at and nipped, Willow doesn't appreciate having her face sat on when she's trying to sleep) <3

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't mean the staircase is her pet, by the way, like her pet spider on the wall, i mean its a staircase designed for pets

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are hardly, if any meds that exist that can't possibly affect either the kidneys or the liver, as one or the other is used to process them. It all depends on how important the meds are to risk the chance, and how not giving her a med diminishes her QOL. I know you have other threads, which I did not go back and read (yet), but if some or all of her pain is related to arthritis settling in that injury location (which is highly likely), there are things like Adequan or Solensia that may help with that. Can they impact her kidneys or liver? Probably so, just because, as I said most meds are either processed by the kidneys or liver. But what good is letting her suffer in pain to spare her a little bit more 'time' with either organ, should that even end up being an issue?
There is a huge difference between using Solencia, or Adequan, (neither have the involvement being eliminated through the kidneys and liver like NSAIDS) and Metacam which in the US has a black box warning on it due to its potential damage to the kidneys.
This cat may have re injured this leg and truly needs rest until seen by the vet. In my opinion. Not a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a huge difference between using Solencia, or Adequan, (neither have the involvement being eliminated through the kidneys and liver like NSAIDS) and Metacam which in the US has a black box warning on it due to its potential damage to the kidneys. This cat may have re injured this leg and truly needs rest until seen by the vet. In my opinion. Not a vet.
While Solensia or Adequan may not have the same involvement of being eliminated through the kidney and liver exactly like NSAIDs, they both still do have involvement in one and/or the other. Nothing was said to suggest either were in the same category as Metacam, though I appreciate you taking the time to point that out in case there was any way for there to have been a misunderstanding. :)

It's good to have the leg checked for a re-injury - which would most likely also show existing arthritis. I think that is already going to end up being pursued, given tiggerwillow tiggerwillow is contacting the vet. She seems to be helping Tigger as needed, to restrict use, so that is good too!

Hope your additional input helped clarify any confusion, should there have been any!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question: Tigger's found a tape measure that she wants to play with cause she says it's a mousie, is it okay to play with her on a flat surface, on her blankie? She's wanting to play and i not sure if its okay to have a gentle game with her, she is using the leg that she had the injury in that the vet is going to be looking at again

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If a pin has a problem, which does happen, she needs to remain as quiet as possible. Problems with pins can include migration of the pin, or the pin can also break. That is why until she sees the vet, you should keep her quiet.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If a pin has a problem, which does happen, she needs to remain as quiet as possible. Problems with pins can include migration of the pin, or the pin can also break. That is why until she sees the vet, you should keep her quiet.
ok she is asking to play though, she's picked up one of her toy mousies now and has brought it to me to ask for a game of hide and seek with a toy mousie (she likes the toy mousie being made to hide round the side of the bed so she can sneak up on it) :heartshape:

i'm currently encouraging her to lie down on her blankie <3

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her leg's having one of it's weak days today, so she's not doing much, tomorrow morning is her vet appointment :heartshape:

On weak days, it tends to momentarily give way under her (something ongoing since 2020 so its not a new thing), vet knows the leg is weaker than her other legs and can give way under her momentarily, when it does this it doesn't seem to hurt her, she doesn't really notice it much when it does it (when she's walking around)

she's cried for her meowmy's lap so i just lifted her up so she's not jumping

:heartshape:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK so the vet has seen her, he said he thinks its her arthritis getting worse, they want to put her on injections once a month to help, they couldn't give her one today as they had literally used the last one for someone else's pet and had to order some more in, so Tigger's on metacalm again (not ideal but it's all they still had in) so for now until they can get the injection meds, she has to have the metacalm

sorry i'm bad at spelling medication names :paperbag: