Tidy Cats Breeze system for new kitten

rockysc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought a Siberian kitten that will be coming home on June 7th. We bought the Breeze system that we will be using for him. Is there anything we should do to get him used to it right away since it'll be the only box he will have known at his new home and being that he will only be 11 weeks old?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to a new home is always stressful for a kitten, so to start with I'd keep the same type of tray he is used to, the same type of litter and the same type of food.  Once he is happily settled in you can gradually change them all to your choice.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should probably keep everything the same to lower stress levels and then make the change to the Breeze System later. But if you do want to try the Breeze right away, just be prepared to pick up after him while he learns.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But if you do want to try the Breeze right away, just be prepared to pick up after him while he learns.
I wouldn't recommend that, no sense in possibly starting out with going outside the box, which could quickly turn into a habit.

You should also have 2  boxes for one cat, sometimes more when they are younger. So you could have one of his regular litter and the breeze set up.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to try using the breeze system as a normal litterbox for a little while. Find out what litter your kitten is currently using, and buy some of that brand. Fill up the breeze with that, and then the transition will be easier since it will only be the shape of the litterbox that has changed. I have heard that the noises made by the breeze system can scare cats, and that they sometimes don't like the feel of the breeze pellets under their feet. It would be best to slowly transition, which will waste some pellets but will prevent any elimination problems, then work your way up to 100% breeze pellets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockysc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just like to update on this really quick. We have had Clancy for a little over two months now and during that time we were using the Breeze system. It technically "worked" just fine, but we never were a fan of the pellets and pee pads, and to be quite honest it just flat out didn't control the odor at ALL. About a month and a half in our entire apartment was stinking pretty bad. I would clean, vacuum with arm and hammer powder for odor control, and while it would work for a few hours, the smell was coming back. We have a litter genie and we were starting to think that maybe that was hurting things also. Anyway, we decided to get a normal litter box with Tidy Cats litter with odor control and some Arm and Hammer powder to sprinkle in the litter box, and my lord, the difference is like night and day. As soon as we replaced the Breeze system, ALL of the smells went away, all of it. There is no comparing the Breeze system and this normal type of litter box, and we will never go back to the other. It's also much easier to scoop and deal with it, and even the litter genie doesn't have a smell anymore. It was like the pellets just stuck to everything and didn't do ANYTHING about the smell.

Anyway, just a heads up.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is just odd, and not my experience at all using the Breeze system with at first 2 cats and now 3 for almost a year. But to each their own. I personally never want to go back to clay litter again.