Tidy cat litter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have gone through so many litters to find the right one. i am now using tidy cat multiple cat. i love it becuase he doesn't track it half as bad as he did the small spaces litter, it controls odor really well, and it isn't too dusty. but, there is one problem...it doesn't clump very well. actually, it doesn't clump his pee at all. when i go to scoop it it just falls apart and it's like im leaving all the pee in the box, distributed throughout...eewww. do any of you have this problem with tidy cat? all the other tidy cat formulas i've used clumped really well but i dunno about this one? honestly i could have got a non clumping kind on accident, i will look tonight when i get home, but i was cretain i got the regular kind.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we buy Tidy Cats, I prefer the red bucket--"Long Lasting Odor Control", but it's hard to find the original formula anymore. I don't think the Tidy Lock is very good and my cats don't like it.

I've had pretty good luck with Special Kitty Scoop with Crystals. It clumps pretty hard. I think it's very good for a store brand litter.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't have much luck with the Tidy Cats litters. I tried the 'small spaces' as well as the 'multiple cats' versions, they did not seem to clump the urine very well. Before I switched to the Breeze box (also by Tidy Cats and I love it!) my favorite scooping litter was Scoop Away 'multiple cats' formula.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness I thought I was the only one who had this problem!!! It does not clump AT ALL! But you are right it does keep the odor under control...so if you come across a good cat litter let me know!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought some Tidy Cat on sale and it was awful! It smelled terrible and like everyone else said, the pee crumbled and made a mess.

My favorite is Fresh Step-- it clumps hard and actually smells nice when I walk in the closet where my litter boxes are.

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats funny, I buy Tidy Cat Scoop and it clumps perfectly. It seems to keep odor under control too. Maybe it depends on the cat?

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tidy cats was ok for me too, never had problems with the clumping.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have terrible problems with it clumping, and end up having to change the whole box more often b/c it starts to stink b/c of the pee clump bits left behind to rot. I also don't like that it doesn't absorb fast enough and the pee makes it to the bottom of the box. It's just messy all around, but I haven't been able to find a litter other than Tidy Cats that isn't horribly dusty. I get asthma attacks from any kind of dust, so I just have to live with Tidy Cats until I find something else.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just walked out and looked at what we have. It's the Tidy Cat "Multi-Cat" formula, although I've used other versions.

No problem with it clumping. In fact, some of the clumps are like concrete. Sure, they'll break up if I pound on them or something. But otherwise no problem.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Sure, they'll break up if I pound on them or something. But otherwise no problem.
Mine break up if I even gently shake the scoop to drop the clean litter.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if it's just a batch that got baked too much?

There is always some variation.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I wonder if it's just a batch that got baked too much?

There is always some variation.
It's been like that since I started using it when we got Gus 10 years ago.

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe it depends on where you live. They probably have different factories or wherever its made. My clumps don't break even if I drop them on concrete (that actually happened).

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! I wish! That's why I love using the Arm and Hammer stuff, b/c it clumps so well and I don't get the pee bits left behind, but it is horribly dusty and sets off my asthma.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Does your litter say TidyCats scoop? There is a TidyCats multiple cat formula that is the regular clay litter, not the clumping type. I think the labels are very similar. I've found that the TidyCats scoop clumps harder than almost everything else I've tried.

The Walmart brand, Special Kitty clumping litter has almost no dust and no scent. The biggest problem I have with that is that the clumps are more like gumballs and stick to the bottom of the box. I'm currently using a mix of about 1/2 and 1/2 TidyCats and Special Kitty which seems to be working pretty well.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to combine the litters I use. I use about 1/2 Tidy Cat Immediate Odor control (light blue lid) to control odor and 1/2 of the green special kitty from walmart for it's clumping properties. I also make sure to fill my box fairly high so as nobody digs all the way to bottom and pees against the liner. If that happens, it's sure to break apart. With this system and 2 kitties, I scoop pretty much daily and the whole box lasts me a month before I need to renew since I'm (usually) able to remove the whole clump.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to check and it does say scoop on it. Right now I am using the immediate odor control type with the light blue/turquoise lid. I have tried every single variety of Tidy Cats litter (minus the non scoop clay), from the small spaces to the anti microbial. We more often than not use the red original formula scoop, but sometimes we switch depending on what's cheaper. I have tried the anti microbial once or twice but it doesn't do what it is supposed to, and it ends up stinking really bad. I love the small spaces but it is expensive. The immediate odor control seems to help with the smell, but doesn't clump. I have never tried the crystals blend b/c it is too expensive.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

I also make sure to fill my box fairly high so as nobody digs all the way to bottom and pees against the liner.
Nora likes to dig to China, so even if I put 6 inches of litter down she would still manage to dig to the bottom and all of it would end up piled in one corner. I have to use tall sided rubbermaid containers for her for that reason, otherwise it all ends up on the floor.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I just went to check and it does say scoop on it. Right now I am using the immediate odor control type with the light blue/turquoise lid. I have tried every single variety of Tidy Cats litter (minus the non scoop clay), from the small spaces to the anti microbial. We more often than not use the red original formula scoop, but sometimes we switch depending on what's cheaper. I have tried the anti microbial once or twice but it doesn't do what it is supposed to, and it ends up stinking really bad. I love the small spaces but it is expensive. The immediate odor control seems to help with the smell, but doesn't clump. I have never tried the crystals blend b/c it is too expensive.
Hmmm.
I don't know what to tell you. I prefer the immediate odor control (turquoise lid) and I've never had a problem with it not clumping.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it depends on the cats and maybe their diet causing chemical changes to their urine? I don't know.

I mentioned before I didn't like it but my mother uses the Small Spaces formula and raves about it. I dunno!