Thyroid issues????

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from having an ultrasound on my thyroid. Mainly because I just haven't been feeling right for the last year or so and everything else has turned up negative and because the last time I got routine bloodwork done my thyroid showed low. Well, it turns out I have holes in my thyroid! I mean, from the pics they showed me from the scan it looks like swiss cheese.

They can't tell from the ultrasound what is causing the holes. It could either be deposits or a goiter which are easily taken care of with medication (so the doctor who read the scan says) or they could be caused from a tumor. They won't know until they do a nuclear test (not a big deal...I think). If it's a tumor that means biopsy and maybe surgery.

I know it isn't life threatening but I'm kinda freaking out a bit. I have an appointment with an endocrenologist (sp?) on friday so I guess she will make the appointment for the additional tests.

I know there are other people here with thyroid issues so any advice? I'm tired of going to the doctor but I'm more tired of feeling like crap all the time and I'm ready to get to the bottom of this. But, I have seen people who the medication actually makes them worse until they get it regulated...I don't want to be like that.

Any advice, personal experience or just plain vibes would be greatly appriciated!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hypothyroidism (my TSH levels are WAY high without medication). I can totally relate to your symptoms.

Here are some that things go for the best.

As for the medication making them worse until the hormone levels are regulated...I think that's just simply because the thyroid isn't producing the right levels, and until those levels are right for your body, it'll seem like things are worse.

But this reminds me, I'm due for blood work.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a mild hypothyroid, so I'm on a hormone as well. I don't have any major symptoms, as it's pretty mild. The hormone med took a long time to actually work, and I've noticed that if I miss a dose/don't take it at the right time, I do feel run-down, get hot/cold flashes, kinda like the symptoms my mom gets and she's in perimenopause. I haven't really noticed much of a difference being on the hormone, but that's becuz it's so mild. I've never had any type of surgery like you would be getting, but I have had more surgeries than I can count, plus countless testing and such, so I can relate in that sense. I understand how scared you must be feeling right now, it's a nasty feeling ya just can't shake. Everything will be fine, it will.

Best of luck to you- I'm sure nothing will go wrong. Sending to hopefully calm your nerves!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I have a mild hypothyroid, so I'm on a hormone as well. I don't have any major symptoms, as it's pretty mild. The hormone med took a long time to actually work, and I've noticed that if I miss a dose/don't take it at the right time, I do feel run-down, get hot/cold flashes, kinda like the symptoms my mom gets and she's in perimenopause. I haven't really noticed much of a difference being on the hormone, but that's becuz it's so mild. I've never had any type of surgery like you would be getting, but I have had more surgeries than I can count, plus countless testing and such, so I can relate in that sense. I understand how scared you must be feeling right now, it's a nasty feeling ya just can't shake. Everything will be fine, it will.

Best of luck to you- I'm sure nothing will go wrong. Sending to hopefully calm your nerves!
Thanks for the vibes, and you know that sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm tired ALL the time and have a hard time concentrating sometimes. I'm also hot or cold (no comfortable, either one or the other and it can change in a matter of minutes). My periods are regular but my cramps some months double me over and are centered on my left side. I've had a colonoscopy (fun, fun) and a D&C and nothing. I'm fine. I even asked my gyno if I could possibly be premeno and he said "no...you're still getting your periods"...ummm...what part of "pre" don't you understand.

It just seems like my body fell apart 2 years ago and now everything is wrong. I'm 39 now so I know it's about time. I'm sorry...I just needed to vent. But, thanks for the vibes and well wished.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that doesn't sound like fun.
that the next tests turn out ok and they can fix you up good as new!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a thyroid disease, fun fun. The thyroid controls pretty much everything in your body, so when it goes wrong you really feel it.

I'm glad you are seeing an endo. PCP's dont know enough when it comes to your hormones - and everything is hormone related. Even if you thyroid ends up being "fine" the endo should still poke around, maybe check for PCOS and/or pheochromocytomas (which I have) and even Cushing's. I have learned, unfortunately, that once your endo system goes haywire you might not feel "good" again. Definitely eat better and take supplements, etc that are for your autoimmune system - thyroid diseases are autoimmune.

I also had thryoid cancer. If caught early, it's "no big deal". It is fortunate they noticed something amiss early on.

Good luck with everything.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hypothyroidism, I just got back from my yearly test to get my presccription refill. I have had this for 21 years. I hope everything works out for the positive for you.