Thursdays Question of the Day 9.26.13

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vicks contains Camphor and Menthol, both have been used for cooking for centuries. 50 mg doses of camphor are safe ( way more than would be fond in cooking or in Vicks).  2000 mg will likely produce serious symptoms;  and 4000 mg is possibly fatal. But really, there is no benefit to eating Vicks, other than the menthol back flow you get from the vapour going up your sinuses as you swallow it.  So just suck on a Hall's :)

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a neti pot? And what is olive leaf. I don't take anything anymore. Nothing helped me.
When I was young and had a fever my dad would make me a drink of lemon and honey and add a bit of brandy - cognac - to sweat out the fever.
I've heard Vicks is good rubbed on the chest and covered with a cloth

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my co-workers swears by blackberry brandy. I tried it, and it sure burns all the way down, so maybe it is doing something :tongue2:. I usually add apple cider vinegar and honey to hot water, sometimes a dash of cayenne pepper (capsaicin has decongestant properties). And Nyquil when I have to get to sleep, Dayquil if I have to go to work. I would prefer to use more natural things but then, naturally, we'd stay home when we're sick :lol3:. And that isn't always an option in this world.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a neti pot? And what is olive leaf. I don't take anything anymore. Nothing helped me.
When I was young and had a fever my dad would make me a drink of lemon and honey and add a bit of brandy - cognac - to sweat out the fever.
I've heard Vicks is good rubbed on the chest and covered with a cloth
A Neti pot is what you do a sinus wash with. Most health food stores (like Whole Foods, or your local co-op) will have them. You use luke warm water, & about 1/8-1/4 tsp. of NON Iodized salt in it. You have to lean to one side, tilting your head over the sink, (inserted in the nostril, & let it drain out the other. Make sure you block the back of your throat w/ your tong so you don't choke).  The Yogi's have done this for centuries. to prevent from getting sick. (germs, dirt, dust, etc.. get trapped in your nose & this cleans them out, so you don't get sick if done daily.)  It really helps if you have a lot of congestion to rinse all that out.

Olive Leaf is an herbal supplement extracted from the Olive leaf. You can also find it in the same place. It's wonderful!!!! 

Like I said above, it's a great immune supplement because it's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, & anti-viral!   (You can always look it up in the book, Prescription For Nutritional Healing).

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't have a store like Whole Foods, check out pharmacies or even Walmart.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I wish I could but I don't live in America. I can't see me doing the flushing thing. Sorry. But thanks for all your information. I have to ask these things from time to time.