Thursdays Question of the Day 5.8.14

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so unfortunate that this myth is around and widely believed.  Bully breeds are the majority of the dogs in shelters and very few get adopted, it is really sad.  They are a tenacious working breed that requires the right home but they are no more prone to be people aggressive than other breeds.  They are more prone to being dog aggressive because that was unfortunately bred into them by people but no more people aggressive than any other breed.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I so agree - there is NO such thing as a bad breed of dog just bad owners :nod:

No dog is born aggressive ! They are made to be aggressive by bad owners !

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so agree - there is NO such thing as a bad breed of dog just bad owners :nod:

No dog is born aggressive ! They are made to be aggressive by bad owners !
I do think this needs discussion, because it's not entirely true. Dogs have been bred for centuries to do certain things. This means that some breeds ARE more prone to aggression.

We'll use Rottweilers for an example, since I have a little experience :D. Rottweilers were bred to be butcher's dogs. They would help drive the cattle to market, then protect the butcher (who now had a bag full of money) from thieves on the way home. This means they naturally are suspicious of strangers and will attack a human if they feel there is a threat to their family. A person who is considering getting a Rottweiler should decide if they can properly manage the dog so that there are no unwanted attacks, as sometimes dogs will perceive a threat even if the humans understand that the other human means no harm. Proper training and socialization help the dog to better understand what constitutes a real threat, but nothing overcomes those centuries of selective breeding---a Rottweiler WILL attack if he thinks he needs to. This is the proper temperment for the breed. Same for other breeds bred for personal protection---Dobermans, German Shepherds, etc. They're supposed to be that way!

Now obviously, bad handling of a guard breed will make the dog more likely to attack unnecessarily. Lack of socialization will cause the dog to think everything is a threat. Abuse will cause him not to trust people which increases the likelihood of an attack. Most dog attacks are caused by not managing a dog's instincts properly. But the dog still has those instincts! You can't say that a proper upbringing will make those instincts go away. People need to consider a dog breed's original function, and know what the breeder they choose is selecting for in their lines.

Like terriers---you wouldn't pick a terrier to guard your pet rat, just because you raised him right ;). Centuries of breeding for ratting ability means that a terrier is more prone to killing small creatures. If you don't want any small creatures killed, then you need to manage your dog's interactions with small creatures so nothing happens. It's no different with other breed traits.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a baby on the way and trust my pit mix more then my mixed dog.  I got the pit mix at 9 weeks and know her and she puts on a show to strangers but is not really like that.  I do not say much and let neighbors/anyone whoe stops by think what they want.  

More people need to search the breed out BEFORE getting a dog. And to not expect certain things from certain breeds.  Resereved with new people is not a bad thing IMO.  I really rather not have the dog EVERYONE wants to stop and pet.  As long as I know my immediate family is safe with that dog I am fine caging when someone new is over or holding the leash. More so they do not think oh dog I am good with dogs let me rush it/pet it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always wanted a Doberman.  I know as with all breeds there are serious health problems that run in the breed so have to be careful with selecting a breeder.  I wouldn't put them through getting the ears done.  I do admit I like the look of them when they are done but they serve no purpose other than looks.  I guess breeders at least in the U.S. dock the tail when they are only a few days old so the puppy would come with a docked tail.  I have just always really been drawn to that breed.  Of course they were bred for protection by a tax collector in Germany so protection traits are there.  I have even read that just for a dog to protect their family and home there is no need to train them for it, the protection trait is that strong in the breed.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certain breeds are more prone to certain traits. There are some that are more deeply ingrained than others, and so owners really need to be a) experienced, b) educated, and c) cautious. If you have a dog breed that is generally dog-aggressive (previous fighting dogs, for example), it only makes sense that owners work twice as hard to make that dog comfortable and let it live within its personal boundaries. It really does depend on the dog, like if in it's found to be uncomfortable but not even aggressive with other dogs, regardless of breed, people should ensure that it has a comfortable everyday life by minimizing its exposure to excitable dogs who will come bounding towards them to play.

Reputable breeders and rescues or shelters who have a profile developed of the dog and has tested them in specific situations (children, cats, other dogs, strangers, other animals) will establish a good baseline for prospective owners.

Just this week, my mom Skype called me and told me she'd been bitten by one of our neighbours' dogs while on an evening walk with a friend. All of our neighbours are pompous and affluent idiots, and they go out and get those tiny inbred yappy designer dogs (I love small dogs, but I HATE that people assume ill-trained dogs are more acceptable when they're smaller) and don't teach them recall, they don't leash them all the time, and they don't even watch them all the time. My mom showed me a VERY clear and distinct bite mark, top and bottom teeth, sunken into her knee which was bitten through her jeans. He came bounding up and my mom thought he wanted to play, and then CHOMP. My mom went to the doctor, because even though she asked the idiot son if his dog had his shots up to date, he's an idiot and everyone said not to trust his word if he couldn't even watch his unleashed dog... while the leash was in his hand. My parents called up the humane society as per the doctor's recommendation to ensure the dog was vaccinated and couldn't do any harm through the bite, so they can do follow-up with the owners.

It's been shown that small dogs like the little yappers people coddle and don't train (chihuahuas are an unfortunate big one, as much as I love the long haired variety) account for the largest percentage of dog bites, but they don't get reported on because they're not fatal. If one ill-trained larger dog - major targets being any bully breeds, rotties, and dobies, but shar peis, chow chows, and akitas are also VERY defensive as their lineage shows - does so much as leave a knick, the world and the media are all over how unsafe they are.

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We live with 3 pitbulls and they are ridiculous snugglers. The only danger a burglar breaking into my house would be in is getting smothered or wiggled to death. They love kids, but I would never leave them, or any other dog, unattended with kids. Kids can be tail pullers and unintentional teasers.

I grew up with beagles and had a yellow lab as my first own dog. My husband had a pitbull when we met and I had never been around the breed, other than at the vet. Any misconceptions I had about the breed were shattered once I got to know my new best buddy. Waylon was a lover and he adored my lab and my cats. He was a very thorough and serious cat licker. He wasn't socialized around cats as a pup, so we were very lucky. He did not like little dogs, though, and once bit a friend's little dog (not serious). After that incident, which took us by surprise, we knew it was our vital responsibility to always keep him away from any little dogs. He never went off leash at the park and we kept a very close eye on him. The worst is when people just let their dog wander up to unknown dogs. If a pitbull bites another dog in this situation, he is always blamed, even when the other dog owner was in the wrong.

We strongly feel that every owner should regard their pitbull as an ambassador for the breed. We are sure to let kids pet the dogs and get kisses and we thoroughly, honestly answer any questions people may ask. It is very important to me and my husband that our pitbulls are mannerly, obedient, and lovely, affectionate examples of what the breed can be with proper handling and training. They are wonderful companions.

My experience has been that toys breeds are far more likely to bite, people just think it isn't a big deal because the dog is small. When I worked at the vet, no one was ever bitten by a big dog, but we were all bitten by a toy breed at least once. Some more than others- my co-worker Melissa got bit at least once a week. She was so sweet and trusting, but the rest of us knew better than to trust a nervous toy breed.

Inbreeding can cause dogs to be aggressive through no fault of the owner. As an example, my best friend had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who was vicious. He loved that dog, raised it from a pup and was never harsh or abusive. Bubba's brain was just wired wrong. Many people got bit. He would growl and raise his hackles at anyone who passed them in the street, so he couldn't leave the house. Eventually, Bubba got snappy with his owner and bit him badly several times. He had to be put down when he was only 5 years old. My friend was destroyed by having to do it, but Bubba was a dangerous dog. He exhausted every option, spent a ton of money on behaviorists, and nothing worked to modify the vicious behavior. He was terrified Bubba would attack a child, despite his best efforts to keep the dog sequestered.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

If anyone would like to continue the discussion on potential dangers with specific breed types please feel free to start a new thread in IMO.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I fell in love with a donkey a week ago. We were at this petting zoo/farm thing (I don't like them, but it was a family visit) and I really hit it off with this one sweet donkey. When I was trying to leave he started crying for me to get back. Too sweet. I'd love to have a rescued donkey someday. Also, a pet miniature pig would be really interesting. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry about being OT- I did not notice this was page 2 of the topic and thought the question was about which you prefer, large dogs or small dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
its OK, it happens!!

@Anne a Donkey, huh? They are cuddly looking creatures for sure!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fell in love with a donkey a week ago. We were at this petting zoo/farm thing (I don't like them, but it was a family visit) and I really hit it off with this one sweet donkey. When I was trying to leave he started crying for me to get back. Too sweet. I'd love to have a rescued donkey someday. Also, a pet miniature pig would be really interesting. 
My sister in England adopted a donkey called Megan who has since gone to rainbow bridge
She was very sweet