Thunderstorm

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love this type of weather, nothing like a good bad thunderstorm. We had one this morning. My alarm went off at 4am, time for me to get up for work. I was going to hit the snooze, when I heard all the thunder and the roaring wind. No damage or anything, just a lot of rain and strong winds.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got lots of wind, tornadoes north and southwest of us, quite a bit of damage, and a genuine lightshow as far as lightning; but very little rain. Green river is still nearly dry, we've still in severe drought, and what water was settled on the grass has already evaporated

All that noise for nothing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ I've heard they're actually well insulated, but I have to wonder. What does hail sound like on a metal roof?
Fortunately I've never experienced hail in this house. It's really not common around here. However, during a really heavy rainstorm, you can't hear anything but the rain really. Once when DH and I were first dating he had a bunch of people over and it started like that...we had about 12-15 people sitting around the living room just looking at each other till it passed. The insulation is OK I guess. The house warms up easy, which is nice on a sunny winter day. In 'comfortable' outdoor weather, it typically warms the house up about 10 degrees above the outside. So if it's say 70, it'll be about 80 inside.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

We got lots of wind, tornadoes north and southwest of us, quite a bit of damage, and a genuine lightshow as far as lightning; but very little rain. Green river is still nearly dry, we've still in severe drought, and what water was settled on the grass has already evaporated

All that noise for nothing.
Was curious how you fared, Mike.

I'm wondering if Gail/Tavia'sMom was affected. I understand she is in western Kentucky, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We made it through the night. Our power went out and stayed out until around 9:00 am. We had very strong winds and rain. I was soo scared to go to sleep hearing the wind howl like that. Our attic kept creaking really loudly. I thought it was going to blow off! Even though last night was awful, today was a beautiful day.
It was also much cooler. It was a nice relief from all the heat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The wind just suddenly picked up here and the radar shows it's about to rain here. We just got a strong thunderstorm alert too. Since I have a metal roof and siding it's moving with the gusts. Sounds something like a big cookie sheet or a saw.