Thunder Wonder

megan19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is terrified of thunder, and she doesn't take any comfort in me at all.. She just wants to run around the house and hide in random places, I really need some suggestions that have worked for you guys cats. All help appreciated, thanks a million.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Some people find the thundershirts that were originally made for dogs can be useful for cats, too. 
I have no personal experience with them, though.  Maybe just putting a snug little jacket on may have the same effect?

Other than that, or even with it, a small, safe, enclosed space with some Feliway could also be worth a try.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site.:wavey:
In our house, if there is something going on like thunder or fireworks we do nothing. We don't react or try to comfort the cats at all. In my opinion, if you try and comfort a cat when it's scared or anxious it will reinforce their fear. We love a thunderstorm so we go and sit out on our covered patio to watch and nine times out of ten the cat's will be like, ok they don't mind this noise so that's ok, and they sit out with us.
How are you with a storm? If you react badly to a storm then maybe your cat is feeling your fear.
I hope you can find a way that works best for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

megan19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hadn't ever heard of Feliway before, I'll look into that thanks! She has a snug fitting vest that I'll put on her but that seems to make it worse sometimes.

KittyWhiskers you actually have a really good point there, as far as me reacting so she reacts, personally I love storms but I've always noted her uneasiness and tried to comfort her, and didn't think of the fact that I was reinforcing it. I'll have to change my attitude on that. Stop feeding into her discomfort and start reinforcing that it's okay. Thanks! :)