Throat Biting: Should I be concerned?

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two kitties which were first introduced about a week ago have been inseparable. They play all day together with very minimal aggression. The older larger cat, Cheddar, is about twice the size of the smaller younger kitten, Colby.

Cheddar has been a bit standoffish since we brought him home. But the introduction of another cat really has him coming out of his shell. They have been inseparable for almost a week now with virtually no aggression, other than occasional hiss or tackle. The little one chases the big one, jumps on him, he runs off, and comes back a few minutes later looking to repeat the process. They both seem to be enjoying it.

Just tonight as I was sitting here, I watched Cheddar walk over to Colby, tower over her, lean around, and seem to bite right down on the the front of her neck (right under her chin). He help his grip there, but she didn't seem to be in pain (maybe he was being playful?), then he kind of batted at her a little bit and walked off. He did it again a few minutes later and I kind of raised my voice.

I've never seen a cat do that. To me, throat biting seems like a predatory behavior!

Sort of concerned...

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My four cats are all friendly with each other but the boys (we have two of each) play rougher than the girls....and they both use this move.  I've learned not to be concerned.  I've watched and sometimes they will hold the bite there (usually on the back of the neck though I've seen the front) for the longest time sometimes before the cat underneath objects.  In the case of my cats, at least, they don't seem to be biting down hard.  And they all get along well and play together in all sorts of ways so I assume it is sort of rough play, maybe with some instinctual mating behavior mixed in (even though they are spayed and neutered.)  I believe there is some neck biting that goes on during mating. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response.

Both of these cats are recently fixed. Colby seemed to be exhibiting some "in heat" behaviors when she first got home. She was 7 months old at the time and had literally just been fixed. She has toned those behaviors down a bit. Cheddar is also fixed, and has been for a little longer (less than a year, I believe).

She didn't seem to be objecting. She actually had the "squinty eyes of approval" (as my daughter names them, LOL) and I kind of sat there wondering "Is this grooming? or play?" and then he willingly let go and batted her twice upside the head (not hard) as if to say "Notice Me!"

They are getting along fine, but I've always been a worrier.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are getting along fine, but I've always been a worrier.
I can understand that! 
  It sounds like they are cute together.  Cat friendships are so much fun to observe, I think.

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two guys do the same thing..I had one for 3 yrs and then got the younger one when he was 6 months old..it usually starts with some loving grooming and then one or the other goes for the throat..not hard though..from watching Wild Kingdom, Animal Planet etc it seems like its an instinct..a few times it went a little far where one of them skreetched out and I just firmly said "HEY" and that was the end of it...

Last edited:

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They bite the back of the neck during mating, what this sounds like is just a friendly reminder of which cat is in charge.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-agree-with-Arlyn,its-a-form-of-domination,per-say,lol,Chedder-is-telling-Colby,he.....is-head-man,lol.

Its-a-friendly-suggestion,as-opposed-to,I'm-gonna-kick-your-beehind.And-Colby,being-a-female,and-just-being-spayed,and-don't-know-how-to-put-this-polietly,lol,but-when-they-are-spayed/neutered,its-not-like-flipping-a-switch,the-"stuff"-per-say,is-still-floating-around,per-say,lol.

My-kittens-play-rough-with-each-other,like-young-children-would-rassel,as-long-as-nobody-is-growling/hissing-or-crying,I-let-them-be.

lizzimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats did this when they were kittens. They are 9 months apart and the bigger one would do it to the younger one until they got to be the same size. They are both girls. They still play around, they are now 1.5 and 2.5, but no neck biting since the youngest was still kitten sized. I'm glad they stopped with the neck biting, it used to freak me out! 

So hopefully your cats grow out of it too.