Three Week Old Kitten Won't Poop

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given a three week old kitten to care for, by a young girl who found the abandoned kitten. He was taken to the vet by that girl three days ago, and she said he was three weeks old. He weighs about 8.5 oz and is very skinny. When I got him yesterday evening, he was cold and not eating well. I have been giving him kitten milk replacer every 2-3 hours by syringe, and he has started to eat 6 ml of formula each meal. 20210519_082444.jpg
20210519_082444.jpg
I have stimulated him before and after every meal, but he has yet to poop or pee while doing that. The girl who found him said he would pee and poop when she stimulated him. This kitten also has a bad case of fleas that I am treating him for, and a badly infected eye that is being treated. He sleeps on his hot water bottle and heating pad for most of the day, but is easily awakened and becomes alert and vocal. Any advice is appreciated!

kateallen

Minister of Meow
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitten doesn't poop when stimulated, there may be something wrong inside his tummy. It may be due to unknown intestinal problems or a wrong food diet. A parasitic infection may also cause constipation that prevents your cat from pooping. If you notice that the kitten has not pooped for about 24 hours, you should monitor it closely, but if more or less 48 hours have passed, you should immediately seek help from your veterinarian.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect he is slightly dehydrated. So he should have more fluids. Perhaps some drops water or flavorless pedialyte for babies between the feedings.
Another possibility is to mix in more water with the kmr, but then he would get lesser of kmr. Which is a drawback.

Exactly what kmr are you giving him? How much?
The typical need is 8 ml kmr or goats milk / Oz and day. More if he wants, but shouldnt be much less.
So if he is now say 9 oz, he should have 9x8 = about 72 ml a day...

OK, more tricks for constipation:

A two-three drops of coldpressed olive oil. Any food oil should do, but coldpressed olive oil is healthy by itself...

You take a glycerine cone, the same as for humans with constipation. You cut off a long but thin sliver... Put into the behind... And it should loosen up the constipated poo after some time...

The ears are nice and pretty up. She may be even 4 weeks.

Good luck!

akagalaxy1 akagalaxy1

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps; a good combo of mixing out the powder with more fluid, but still have the nourishment somewhat intact, is, to mix out not with water, but with pedialyte. Pedialyte does contains some glucose sugar, so it gives some extra calories for free.

You cant overdo with pedialyte, because its the same concentrations of salts as in body fluids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mix the powdered formula with clear pedialyte instead of water. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This should soften the stool and get things moving.

As StefanZ StefanZ mentioned, a dehydrated kitten will take longer to eliminate, but the kitten should be peeing. You’ll know the kitten is fully hydrated when the pee is pale yellow. He may be peeing on his own - do you see stains where he lays?

He is getting much needed rest and fluids and should begin gaining weight soon and rapidly.

How are you treating the fleas and the eye infection?

Thanks for caring for him!

akagalaxy1 akagalaxy1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mix the powdered formula with clear pedialyte instead of water. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This should soften the stool and get things moving.

As StefanZ StefanZ mentioned, a dehydrated kitten will take longer to eliminate, but the kitten should be peeing. You’ll know the kitten is fully hydrated when the pee is pale yellow. He may be peeing on his own - do you see stains where he lays?

He is getting much needed rest and fluids and should begin gaining weight soon and rapidly.

How are you treating the fleas and the eye infection?

Thanks for caring for him!

akagalaxy1 akagalaxy1
Okay so I gave him the drops of olive oil for the constipation, before I saw the advice about pedialyte. After two feeds it worked, but after he passed a very hard stool he began to have diarrhea for the past two hours or so. The stool is a normal color, but I am scared that he will get dehydrated. I do not have pedialyte in the house, and it is getting late so I doubt I will be able to get some before the morning. Also he is peeing occasionally, and it is a pale yellow color.

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect he is slightly dehydrated. So he should have more fluids. Perhaps some drops water or flavorless pedialyte for babies between the feedings.
Another possibility is to mix in more water with the kmr, but then he would get lesser of kmr. Which is a drawback.

Exactly what kmr are you giving him? How much?
The typical need is 8 ml kmr or goats milk / Oz and day. More if he wants, but shouldnt be much less.
So if he is now say 9 oz, he should have 9x8 = about 72 ml a day...

OK, more tricks for constipation:

A two-three drops of coldpressed olive oil. Any food oil should do, but coldpressed olive oil is healthy by itself...

You take a glycerine cone, the same as for humans with constipation. You cut off a long but thin sliver... Put into the behind... And it should loosen up the constipated poo after some time...

The ears are nice and pretty up. She may be even 4 weeks.

Good luck!

akagalaxy1 akagalaxy1
Thanks! For the KMR I am giving him PetAg Milk Replacer plus. I have not gotten a bottle to work so I am syringe feeding him 8-10ml every 2 hours, depending on what he will take.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everything sounds okay! He’s passed hard stool and is now passing looser stool. It’s okay for now. It sounds like he’s getting on track, Normal stool on formula should be toothpaste consistency, I expect that in the next 24 hours it will become more normal.

It’s fine if you get the clear pedialyte tomorrow. It will help going forward. Your little guy sounds like he’s now on the right track! :lovecat2:

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything sounds okay! He’s passed hard stool and is now passing looser stool. It’s okay for now. It sounds like he’s getting on track, Normal stool on formula should be toothpaste consistency, I expect that in the next 24 hours it will become more normal.

It’s fine if you get the clear pedialyte tomorrow. It will help going forward. Your little guy sounds like he’s now on the right track! :lovecat2:
Thank you all so much! This has been so helpful. Also side note, when should I take him back to the vet concerning his eye. He has a prescribed cream from the previous owner, but I was told I will need to take him back eventually to have them possibly cut out the eye.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What SPECIFIC eye medication are you using on his eyes? There should be NO reason whatsoever to have to cut out his eye! He should be on Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment right now and that should take care of the issue.

Please answer specifically about his eye meds, AND what you are doing about fleas. It matters!

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What SPECIFIC eye medication are you using on his eyes? There should be NO reason whatsoever to have to cut out his eye! He should be on Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment right now and that should take care of the issue.

Please answer specifically about his eye meds, AND what you are doing about fleas. It matters!
He is on Terramycin, maybe that was a miscommunication about the eye. That is what the previous owner said. For fleas, I have been using a flea comb, and I have him a bath in citrus dishsoap today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, good! The terramycin should clear his eyes so there will be NO NEED TO CUT HIS EYE OUT. Please do not even think that. Terramycin clears infection in tiny kittens very well. His eyes will be fine!

A flea comb is best at this tiny age. Keep up the good work!

Please keep up posted on his progress. He sounds like he is going to turn out just fine under your excellent care! :lovecat2:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Now when the constipation has gone, you can cut down or even stop the olive oil. If he is more rare than the tooth paste consistency, its possibly because the olive oil has worked, and now he didnt need it more.
So, cut down or stop for the moment, depending on. You dont need to propeller.

IF he has continuing much watery diarrhea, also in this case pedialyte is good - he will need extra salts.

Against diarrhea, you can boil out your own pedialyte from overboiled rice + mineral salts. works for both kitties and humans.

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, good! The terramycin should clear his eyes so there will be NO NEED TO CUT HIS EYE OUT. Please do not even think that. Terramycin clears infection in tiny kittens very well. His eyes will be fine!

A flea comb is best at this tiny age. Keep up the good work!

Please keep up posted on his progress. He sounds like he is going to turn out just fine under your excellent care! :lovecat2:
Thank you all! I will make sure to update everyone. He has gained 1.6 oz in 24 hours so I know he must be doing a lot better!

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick follow up question, how soon should I expect for the eyes to begin to look healthy again.

Attachments

akagalaxy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Note: I am applying Terramycin directly to the eyes every 8 hours, and cleaning with a warm cotton before application.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The one eye is not looking good. Unfortunately, he may not be able to see out of it. You may want to get a second opinion from a different vet on the prognosis and whether a different medicine might help.

You should not put the terramycin directly on his eye, but rather wipe it across the closed eyelid. Also, do not touch the eyeball with cotton or anything else.

How is the kitten doing otherwise?