Three Legged Kitten

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 1/2 legged kitten who was born like this. The humane shelter and i came to conclusion that if it was an injury there would have been a sore or scab . She was to young to have a healed sore when dropped at shelter. I fostered her as soon as it was posted on the foster page. She is almost 3 mths old and she gets around very good but i have noticed some potential problems. The tip of her stump had formed a sack at the tip of it. It was very mushy and loose but not hot or red. Tge next day it was harder and fuller. The tip use to be a thin piece if skin over a pointy bone. But now had ball like a sac that moved and rolled around. Today it was still there but the pointy bone had been flattened and widened. The point was gone and replace with a blunt surface. Maybe it broke off. She doesnt appear to be in pain. I have floors here and here leg taps the floor very loud. She uses it as a leg. I have read that most partial limbs on animals need to be amputated at body because the partials get hot spots and sores and infections and they are hard to heal. I dont have answers. I will find an experienced vet to help. I will have to find resources to help. I am on fixed income

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a 3 1/2 legged kitten who was born like this. The humane shelter and i came to conclusion that if it was an injury there would have been a sore or scab . She was to young to have a healed sore when dropped at shelter. I fostered her as soon as it was posted on the foster page. She is almost 3 mths old and she gets around very good but i have noticed some potential problems. The tip of her stump had formed a sack at the tip of it. It was very mushy and loose but not hot or red. Tge next day it was harder and fuller. The tip use to be a thin piece if skin over a pointy bone. But now had ball like a sac that moved and rolled around. Today it was still there but the pointy bone had been flattened and widened. The point was gone and replace with a blunt surface. Maybe it broke off. She doesnt appear to be in pain. I have floors here and here leg taps the floor very loud. She uses it as a leg. I have read that most partial limbs on animals need to be amputated at body because the partials get hot spots and sores and infections and they are hard to heal. I dont have answers. I will find an experienced vet to help. I will have to find resources to help. I am on fixed income
I can't speak to what may be happening with the stump, but am wondering if you adopted this little one, or are you still fostering? If still fostering, the shelter should take care of veterinary expenses, shouldn't they?

If not, here are some resources that might be helpful: Financial Help For Cat Care.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is absolutely true that in any amputation of a leg in dogs and cats that the leg is removed at the upper joint next to the body. If it is not, what happens is what you are seeing with this kitten. The remaining part of the leg becomes a huge hindrance and can become sore or infected. I completely understand that you are on a fixed income, but the leg should probably be amputated. Cats do very well on three legs. If you are fostering, will the shelter help with expenses or put you in touch with a vet who can provide care for a reduced rate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't speak to what may be happening with the stump, but am wondering if you adopted this little one, or are you still fostering? If still fostering, the shelter should take care of veterinary expenses, shouldn't they?

If not, here are some resources that might be helpful: Financial Help For Cat Care.
I adopted Annabelle and within a week i noticed the swelling and the discomfort. I have hard floors but i thrown nonskip rugs everyewhere. She getting more active and interacts with the others and runs and chases. She is just getting the run of house and exploring so they werent any problems yet. I called the shelter to get advice and resourses of experienced vets for when she does need amputation. I dont trust the vets i use for basic care. I would not not use them for this. But the shelter said very condescending that what vet doesnt know about this condition and they nothing more to do with that animal after adoption. Well she is a kitten not that animal . I think i talked the wrong person because I do know the lady over intake and medical and she would have really talked to me and she probably wouldn't even let me bring the cat there and check his temperature to see if they had an infection or something going I don't know maybe not but that lady from the phone and they do have a program called the Intervention Program for people that are temporary temporarily unable to take care of their vet bills so they do more than she was saying I don't know how often

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have nextdoor.com ? If not, you might sign up and ask for names of vets in your general area who are trusted by others.
I do not have nextdoor.com. i may need to go to a larger town if it comes to surgery. Im thinking it will come to that from all the research and stories and experiences and because medically it makes sense. I need to go to vet for her wellness first vet check not under humane shelter. I am expecting they will want to xray her leg and hip area and may put her on anti inflammatories or something maybe. Then maybe we can see whats going on. She is getting around good and appear to have no pain. But it is is swollen on the tip and the leg would straighten but she does draw it up now. When she tries to straighten it its not straight . It is now like a bow leg. Kinda curved. Its definately gone through changes. And i believe that it does not feel like a paw . I think it feels uncomfortable when it taps the floor or when she jumps down and the end hits the floor. It would be more like your elbow hitting the floor instead of your foot. Landing on elbow would not feel good. So to the person said it felt normsl and natural like a paw. I disagree.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are correct. The reason that amputations are never done half way up the leg in cats or dogs is that it leaves a partial limb which is unmanageable, painful if irritated, and a detriment to their well being and day to day life.

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Alabama is included and there is nothing availsble for state of alabama for financial help for cat care or pets.

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is absolutely true that in any amputation of a leg in dogs and cats that the leg is removed at the upper joint next to the body. If it is not, what happens is what you are seeing with this kitten. The remaining part of the leg becomes a huge hindrance and can become sore or infected. I completely understand that you are on a fixed income, but the leg should probably be amputated. Cats do very well on three legs. If you are fostering, will the shelter help with expenses or put you in touch with a vet who can provide care for a reduced rate.
I am no longer fostering and the shelter said once animals are adopted they do nothing more for them. I think i spoke with the wrong person because they say in their policies that they try to keep people with their pets and offer interventions and resources and advice to talk to them before surrendering animals so I think that I will try and call up there and talk to a lady I know in intake that's over the medical and she'll talk to me I would like to know what vet they use when they've had animals come up because I've seen them have amputees up there I would not trust the Vets I have now to do something like this I mean one is a zoo vet the other one is this really old and a butcher and then the other ones are mostly General wellness and health it's a small town. I need to get her in for first visit and im sure they will xray and we can see whats going on. I can probably go to any vet for that. Hopefully amputation is further down the road. I thought when she weighed more or got an open sore that wouldnt heal thats when it would be time. But its gone through a lot of changes and got to jam the knee and hip when she lands on and uses it. Its kinda curving in instead of straight and im thats her using it and pressing on that leg. The partial leg may be deteriated bone or maybe cartiledge or soft. I dont know what the reason for deformities. The problem could be the leg not just whats missing.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Doing that type of surgery, the younger the better within reason. I am sorry they didn’t take care of all that before you adopted.

There are organizations that assist with finances. In my state CA there is the FACE foundation that will pay for surgeries for qualified individuals. You might want to look into that.

Horrible that person was so rude to you. Not the kind of person who should be answering phones.

christymariehite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done a lot of research and i wont stop until i figure it out That is great that California has the FACE program. I looked it up and its inCalifornia only. Alabama is a poor state. Way down the list along with mississippi. Even the FACE is only available to emergency and critical life threatening situations. There are grants and programs most for emergencies. They are limited. But i will have to find a way. I have first get aconsult vet visit so we know whats going on. But even tho its price is very small compared to amputation cost. It might as well be a million dollars. I dont have it. How do you know a lot about it. What is your experience.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Find the Best Help for Three Legged Pets and Their People
This is a site and support group for owners of three legged dogs and cats. They are very helpful and might be able to give you some advice about where to look for affordable surgery. They offer support in all areas of the amputation process.

Affordable Leg Amputation
Pricing For Pet Surgical Services | Grasonville Vet
I know that these are probably not near you, but I googled "cost of cat leg amputation" and these sites appeared. Several others were offering lower cost amputation as well. If you called them, I wonder if they would have any references near you. While I am not underplaying amputation, it is sometimes not as expensive as other surgical procedures.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is one in Alabama through the humane society. I don’t know what part you are in, but there are several available for financial assistance.