Three kittens: One suspected for mycoplasma haemofelis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got another follow-up, vet doesn't notice much difference in the colour of his gums, etc.
Weight had a slight decrease of 50g but his temperature is within the normal range (39.2C).

We're stopping the antibiotics and continuing with the remaining multivitamin supplement. I am still feeding kitten food + nutritional gel and the occasional glucose/pedialyte just to make sure he gets enough nutrients in him.

Primary vet suggested getting another FIV test (Idexx) considering the overall look of his medical history - which seems to strongly suggest a suppressed immune system.

I will need to look around as the one my vet knows is about 1 hour or more away from me (one way).

He has been looking a little more mentally alert the past few days which is a relief.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2nd morning without any antibiotics and his body temp went up again. D: (It was normal yesterday.)
Will continue to monitor on top of the cold pack, some food and water while letting our primary vet know.

Does FIV seem very much likely at this point?

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll include the blood test results (from the first one that he got during his bout of lung infection to the latest).

Currently, our primary vet recommends getting a FIP clinical test kit (Idexx) but as it is, I'm not even sure if it's viable. Seeing as it's from mycoplasma haemofelis, dry FIP [no sign(s) of this] to now, FIV.

He has been slowly improving over the past two weeks. He's currently spoon-fed* kitten food, liver and nutritional gel + syringe-fed glucose/water every hour or 1 1/2 hours during the day ~ evening. I leave him to it at night.

Noticed that he's been increasingly alert the past week (either walking or watching videos for longer periods of time). He had explored more of the room he's in for in the past two days.

*Is it a bad sign if they're not reaching out for food themselves? He's not rejecting food so that's the upside.

No vomiting, blood or diarrhoea (stool is sausage, slightly segmented but it's a pastel mix of green+brown which I attribute to the kitten food) to note. Just consistently having a fever. It's been noted that he first had the lung infection (took 3 weeks to clear) in October, ear infection last month (swiftly cleared up) and now this consistent fever since mid-January at least.
Also tested positive for the feline coronavirus titre test but primary vet says there's no sign of dry FIP yet.

He's turning 11 months tomorrow and it's breaking my heart that I don't know what's ailing him.

(edit: added lung x-rays from October and November 2021 at the bottom)

IMG_8264.JPG
IMG_8265(1).JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8267(1).JPG
IMG_8268(1).JPG
IMG_8269(1).JPG

2022-03-15 14_19_58-1.png
2022-03-15 14_20_54-2.png
2022-03-15 14_23_02-3.png

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's night/evening now and checked his body temp, which remained the same at 39.7C though he had felt a little less warm to the touch and had been exploring (lucid) earlier today.

Edit: Also noticed his third eyelid showing for a short time now. It comes and goes, however. Not sure what would that be about.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know enough about FIV, so I can't really comment on his tests. I gather they are doing another test for FIV in case the first test was a false negative?? Have you read up on FIV? If not, here are a couple of articles that might interest you, including information about testing.
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus Infection | VCA Animal Hospitals (vcahospitals.com)
Thanks, I have and from more recent research, it's said that the most efficient way of transmission is via bites (not play bites). Sharing food and drink in a stable multi-cat environment isn't likely for FIV transmission. Not sure what to think, to be honest.

I also don't know how to best advocate for my kittie at the moment. He's definitely not feeling good with the high fever (will check his body temp again, got a 39.1C reading but kinda doubt it 🤕).

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had longer periods of lucidity + activity today, ate a bit more heartily though he didn't manage to finish the new can plus generous hydration with glucose + water.

From the vibe I got when updating our primary vet, I suppose they want to see how my cat would be like when without antibiotics.

Would have strongly appreciated a heads-up instead of leaving me in the dark. Something similar happened when my female kittens suddenly stopped eating and drinking a day or two post-neutering - being told it's normal despite no mention of it with no anti-inflammatory medication to anticipate the fever.

Anyhow, would like to approach it by stabilising his condition, getting him regularly fed, hydrated then will I slowly consider getting confirmation on the FIV status. (Also because I'd like to approach another place or two to inquire before committing to the vet in the city.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From the vibe I got when updating our primary vet, I suppose they want to see how my cat would be like when without antibiotics...Would have strongly appreciated a heads-up instead of leaving me in the dark. Something similar happened when my female kittens suddenly stopped eating and drinking a day or two post-neutering - being told it's normal despite no mention of it with no anti-inflammatory medication to anticipate the fever.
Are you saying the vet might be blaming some of his behavior on antibiotics? Antibiotics can wreak havoc on a cat's stomach and cause inappetence, especially if given without food.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you saying the vet might be blaming some of his behavior on antibiotics? Antibiotics can wreak havoc on a cat's stomach and cause inappetence, especially if given without food.
Oh no, absolutely not. I'm not blaming the vet and I don't have a problem with the antibiotics. I'm referring to the lack of clarity in our communication - my own exhaustion with feeding every hour from early mornings to late nights also played a part in it, because they basically said it's puzzling and considering the whole picture of my cat's medical history, that it's better to test again for FIV with a more accurate test kit. So yes, I didn't anticipate a high fever and didn't know how to deal with it - like I needed to read between the lines to get the point they're trying to make.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His body temp was as high as 40.1C this morning (measured at home, didn't complete as he squirmed out of it) and left a word with our vet.

They realised he needs the antibiotics as my cat hasn't eaten nor sipped any water (only ate twice in the morning, had trouble syringe-feeding water as well; hourly feeding) so they managed to slot us in around late noon.

Got an injection and the antibiotics, he rested on the way home and was back to eating. Looked like his bright, curious self again. So we're going to the vet in the city for another CBC and the Idexx FIV test.

Send good thoughts!

P.S. Apparently, he also gained weight and is currently 6.72lbs (3.05kg), yay!!

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet in the city, couldn't get a good read of the reticulocytes probably from the blood being quite diluted.
He also tested positive for FeLV, negative for FIV.

Quite devastated considering his blood results (RBC, HGB and HCT are 3.31 (normally 5 ~ 10), 5.1 (8.0 ~ 17) and 15.7 (27.0 ~ 47.0).

Since it's a multi-cat household, I'll look into getting the ELISA test for the two other kittens at some point - they are well but from cursory reading, the virus transmits rather easily and they have been housed together.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just vomited an hour ago, contents were food from a few hours before. He hasn't puked at any time before this which has me quite worried.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the vomiting from last night, I backed off to avoid stressing him (particularly about food & drink) and also I have been crying my eyes out. He ate about 4 or 5 times today and at least had his antibiotics so no fever. Mostly resting (lethargic) for the entire day, gums are pale/white again.

Have been reading about the FeLV vaccine and how prevalent it is from my side of the world (the virus is detected in at least 30% of the cat population :O). Depending on how things pan out, the girls will have a thorough checkup sometime down the road.

Am also wondering how should I best handle his care besides providing comfort, lots of petting and just letting him relax. Hope I hear back from the vet about their plan and that there are options in place depending on the situation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With FeLV, the standard treatments are typically steroids, blood transfusions and other forms of supportive care when necessary. Secondary infections usually crop up and require treatment during a flare up of the FeLV virus. Since weight loss is usually an issue - above and beyond the steroids which can help with that - appetite stimulants and anti-nausea meds may also be in order.

Antivirals used in human AIDS treatment have been known to help improve a cat's condition, so I'd certainly ask your vet about these types of medication.

Most folks have their cats vaccinated while kittens for FeLV, as well as FVRCP [Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus/Herpesvirus 1 (FVR/FHV-1), Feline Calicivirus (FCV), & Feline Panleukopenia (FPV)], as well as rabies. Periodic boosters are done thereafter. If your other cats have not been vaccinated, you might discuss doing so with your vet - but, testing for FeLV first is advised.

EDIT: Just saw this post and thought of you - but I see you have already seen it, and realized you are the one who resurrected it for others to see. FeLV Testing, Vaccines, Treatments... what I learned. Maybe it'll help someone else. | TheCatSite. Keeping the link here in case someone else runs across your thread and not this one. Glad you found it!

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With FeLV, the standard treatments are typically steroids, blood transfusions and other forms of supportive care when necessary. Secondary infections usually crop up and require treatment during a flare up of the FeLV virus. Since weight loss is usually an issue - above and beyond the steroids which can help with that - appetite stimulants and anti-nausea meds may also be in order.

Antivirals used in human AIDS treatment have been known to help improve a cat's condition, so I'd certainly ask your vet about these types of medication.

Most folks have their cats vaccinated while kittens for FeLV, as well as FVRCP [Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus/Herpesvirus 1 (FVR/FHV-1), Feline Calicivirus (FCV), & Feline Panleukopenia (FPV)], as well as rabies. Periodic boosters are done thereafter. If your other cats have not been vaccinated, you might discuss doing so with your vet - but, testing for FeLV first is advised.

EDIT: Just saw this post and thought of you - but I see you have already seen it, and realized you are the one who resurrected it for others to see. FeLV Testing, Vaccines, Treatments... what I learned. Maybe it'll help someone else. | TheCatSite. Keeping the link here in case someone else runs across your thread and not this one. Glad you found it!
Thank you for thinking of me. All of them are completely vaccinated except for non-core vaccines (FeLV, rabies). Will remember to look up the protocol for FeLV-exposed cats (when best to test, consider FeLV vaccination and etc.).

I believe he is ready, however, our primary vet is closed on Sundays and am not sure which clinics would offer euthanasia at home (I suppose the request seemed strange to one of the places I reached out to). I do hope our vet can oblige us in some way or refer us to someone who can help as soon as possible. Think I have a feeling that it'll only be carried out within the premises of the clinic. Will bring up the possibility of stress and see how we go from there.

He is mostly resting for the past day or two and I'm not pressing him to eat besides some glucose at the moment to avoid more stress.

Edit: He is also in a meatloaf position at the moment. Reminding me of the other kitten I lost last September.

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I am at peace with my decision, I wonder if my cat noticed it and perked up a bit? Does it seem like that's possible when it comes to such situations?

I would also discuss it with my vet (considering the latest blood test, etc) before going through the procedure unless the situation takes that out of the equation.

I just don't want him to be languishing in a sickly state for too long (he looked a bit better and have been taking some food [while going without it during the day]).

Edit: Gave him some more food, he ate but after that, there's that look again. It is time.

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The staff at the clinic reached out to confirm that they only do the procedure at the clinic, which I agreed to but didn't hear back from them until past their closing time - which they were checking in with me again to confirm that I want to go ahead with it.

Part of me (and my family) are a little miffed but I suppose not being there, in-person, to bring this up must be tricky (yes, am giving them the benefit of the doubt).

I went through the whole idea again and my conclusion is still yes, my baby needs closure (he looked pretty upset with me, to be honest).

While he still eats, pee and poops fine - he just isn't enjoying things anymore and I feel that is the key, in my case. Yes, the girls will occasionally be near him or like right now, where one of the girls are sleeping with him, that's great. And I give as many good experiences while with us. I just don't want to wait any longer where he ends up starving himself or in a great deal of pain.

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The procedure is done and I'm so thankful that everything went easily for him.

A thank you to everyone who chimed in on the thread, really appreciate it.