Three kittens: One suspected for mycoplasma haemofelis

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Background story - Have three kittens (1 male, 2 female) and they just turned 10 months old last week. All of them are vaccinated and neutered/spayed.

Male kitten (Tabby One) was neutered around late December and he recuperated just fine. Had a lung infection around October but got it cleared mid-November with multiple vet visits and x-rays.

I didn't think too much of it but he had been less active over the past few weeks until he just didn't want to eat one day (early February) and rushed him to the vet the next day.

Turns out it was an ear infection + running a temp (which was detected once in January and went away) and it got better with meds. He looked better after the vet visit but didn't quite perk up as he should be in the following days.

Took him in for a follow-up in which the vet gave the all-clear for the ear infection (didn't find anything, nothing weird with the heart, lungs, etc.)

Two more days in, he just isn't quite improving and took him to the vet again where they suggested warding him for observation (again he's running a high temp/fever) + some bloodwork (basic) and testing for FIP/FLV.

He eats minimally and prefers kitten food over regular canned wet food. No increase nor decrease during his 4-day stay at the vet. Tested negative for FIP/FLV and red blood cells are kinda low (6.9g/dl) when it should be about 8 ~ 15g/dl.

However, he has responded well (temp remained normal) during his vet stay to antibiotics so he's on 21-day antibiotics plus liver supplement. No jaundice spotted, my vet noted that it usually comes with the territory (anaemia) but his mucous membranes (gums, ears) are pale/white instead of pink and definitely lost some weight (have to weigh him again tomorrow).

Vet suggests that it could be mycoplasma haemofelis* and might need a blood transfusion in case he starts panting (who would do an emergency transfusion, I'm curious). Found a non-profit that connects pet blood donors with those in need and messaged them - waiting to see how that goes.

I started reaching out to vet clinics and only found one further away in town that does it. Though it looks like I might need to do the diagnostics all over again for my Tabby + various tests for the cat blood donor in question. Don't mind the latter but it's the former I'm a bit worried that I can't hold up financially plus having to explain this all over again.

I might ask my regular vet if it's possible to provide a summary of his medical record or something to provide the next vet with an idea of my cat's health.

So I wonder if the mycoplasma haemofelis could be a precursor to other things, false negatives for the FIP/FLV test - just trying not to break down mentally despite the lack of context.

To top it all off, I'm also monitoring the two other female kittens (tortoiseshell coats, Tortie One and Two) if they could be a little anaemic too.
Saw one of them licking a dry leaf and a rock. Hadn't seen them do that since that one time but the coincidence + just minimal eating, they both are active and play with each other - just leaves me quaking in my boots.

*Am told that this is usually transmitted by infected fleas (but other webpages online mention mosquitoes and etc.) but don't think I had a flea problem for the kittens or that it's possible it was only a small amount of fleas and with Advocate/Advantage Multi applied in-between, it went unnoticed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I have nothing in terms of experience related to this, but wanted to say a few things while you wait for others to chime in.

1.) All tests and results are yours and should be given to you upon request to share with whomever you want. So, go ahead and get them - it doesn't just have to be a summary provided by your vet.
2.) A broader scale set of antibiotics may be needed before heading to a transfusion - just another thing to consider.
3.) See article link below in case there is any information in it that might help (assuming you haven't already seen it). I did not see anything directly connecting this condition specifically to fleas/mosquitoes.
Haemoplasmosis in Cats | (abcdcatsvets.org)

Maybe you would be interested in going through some of the previous posts on this site as well?
Search Results for Query: mycoplasma haemofelis | TheCatSite

I hope others will come along soon with more that I can offer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I have nothing in terms of experience related to this, but wanted to say a few things while you wait for others to chime in.

1.) All tests and results are yours and should be given to you upon request to share with whomever you want. So, go ahead and get them - it doesn't just have to be a summary provided by your vet.
2.) A broader scale set of antibiotics may be needed before heading to a transfusion - just another thing to consider.
3.) See article link below in case there is any information in it that might help (assuming you haven't already seen it). I did not see anything directly connecting this condition specifically to fleas/mosquitoes.
Haemoplasmosis in Cats | (abcdcatsvets.org)

Maybe you would be interested in going through some of the previous posts on this site as well?
Search Results for Query: mycoplasma haemofelis | TheCatSite

I hope others will come along soon with more that I can offer.
Thank you for the links, they are really informative, and for chiming in, appreciate it :)

My regular vet provided a case report which is helpful and from the report, doxycycline was prescribed, however, I am perplexed as to how urgent is the recommendation of a blood transfusion be.

I want it to be as soon as possible but I am also realistic that the new vet (whoever that may be) will want to run their own checks before coming to their own diagnosis which might include multiple visits (my cat has also never been that far from home and in the car for more than a 30-minute trip, for context) + searching for blood donors. And during a pandemic.

No word yet from the non-profit and the line was busy for the vet clinic that I set my heart on so I'm gonna try emailing on top of other lines of communication.

He ate the amount that our regular vet recommended for whatever he wanted to eat, which is wet kitten food (1 can a day but if he eats more, it's good too). Was just lying around most of the day but he did have an instance of the zoomies in the evening. Had to put a stop to that without a blood transfusion actively in the works.

It's Thursday tomorrow and I get kinda antsy when either of them is unwell with a weekend coming up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My regular vet provided a case report which is helpful and from the report, doxycycline was prescribed, however, I am perplexed as to how urgent is the recommendation of a blood transfusion be.
I would imagine the urgency is different for every cat, so that would be a question only the vet might be able to accurately answer.
I want it to be as soon as possible, but I am also realistic that the new vet (whoever that may be) will want to run their own checks before coming to their own diagnosis which might include multiple visits
While another vet might want to run different tests, the tests/results already done can be shared with other vets to help reduce redundant testing/costs. As I said before, those test/results are yours to have for free, so just request a copy of all of them for yourself, which you can in turn share with any new vets you want to consult with. Your current vet, if you are keeping them in the loop, can also provide them to other vets for a second opinion consult.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I just noticed he seemed a little lethargic and less active around late afternoon and found him running a fever in the evening/right now.
Gave him a cold pack and started feeding him some glucose/pedialyte (no fixed amount, just what he is willing to take). Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: While I have no medical insights, I want to offer my virtual support to your boy and you. Did the vet suggest offering him some liver to eat? I hope that his little body revives quickly. If he enjoys chicken or beef, you could boil up some chicken breast or hamburger and blend the broth with the Pedialyte, for a tasty treat. Also, I highly recommend "comfort grooming" - I use a cheap plastic comb and hold my thumb across the teeth to adjust the depth. Using light "J" strokes, I groom about the face & neck and, if tolerated, along the rest of the body; I mimic a mama Kitty's licks. I look for signs of tender areas/hypersensitivity. You can also put your hand under his paws (cat version of holding hands) and gently massage the tops of his paws - be alert for any hot/cold spots in his feet; some vets like the extra clues although other vets can consider it "micromanaging". But no matter what, the TLC will give the patient comfort & a spiritual uplift which promotes healing. Please keep us updated! :vibes:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woke up early to check in on them (around 4 or 5 in the morning).
Ate a bit and a new can of food opened because he was smelling it - ate about 2/3 of a can.
After that, I gave the meds that were prescribed (antibiotics, liver, multivitamin) and his stool is now grey/clay-coloured.
Not sure if it's the sudden huge amount of food he ate. The stool starts out with a pastel brown tint then grey/clay on the later half.

Last edited:

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any insights but wanted to check on how he was doing.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you for the good thoughts. My sister and I were terrified that we would lose him mid-way through the drive (this other vet is located about an hour or more from us one way) as his littermate did before (back in September).

Thankfully, kitten was pretty chill and even perked up a bit. Even ate a little before it was our turn for the consultation. A new CBC test today showed only a very slight increase in red blood cells. This vet is testing for FIP (I misspoke on my initial post and the old thread, it previously tested negative for FIV and FLV, not FIP) and expected results to come in on Sunday but the vet got it much sooner and my kitten is confirmed to have dry FIP.

We ordered the first vial that includes B12 but still have not figured out the logistics of the administering of injections (do it ourselves or mix it up a bit with occasional vet visits [separate from weekly vet check-ins, of course]) and the supplies needed. And how are we going to pull through the 12-week treatment cost.

I'll read up about the nutrition, additional supplements that could be useful, in the morning, so overwhelmed right now.

So yay there's a fighting chance for our kitten :cheerleader:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad to hear your kitten at least ate some! Not sure what to make of the stool change, unless the food coloring/content could impact it.

As far as testing for FIP, especially the dry version - there is no absolute definitive test for it. The vet can check for the virus that can cause FIP - FcOV - to see if your kitten has been infected with it, but more cats than not test positive. And being positive for FcOV does not mean that your kitten's virus has mutated to FIP. So, make sure you get a clarification of what test the vet ran and how the results were interpreted.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the now pastel-coloured stool is due to the food itself + bleeding in the GI tract has resolved.
The vet in the city did a FIP antibody test. The result looks several shades darker than the positive control and they came to the conclusion that together with my cat's on and off fever, lack of appetite - it's FIP.

1645940892118.png

The first vial is on its way but hope to see it arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

His appetite is slowly improving and has ventured to drink some water on his own + other wet food besides the kitten food. So far, no high fever after that scary bout. Was given Metacam if his body temp goes higher than 39.1 Celcius - have glimpsed at some posts about some side effects for that.

Just a little scared about the cost of the vials and the associated costs (vet trips, one-use supplies) but at least he is eating and well for now.

If he's anaemic - how much liver is appropriate to avoid being overdosed on Vitamin A? Currently the wet food I have (not the kitten food) bought contains liver (Brit's Turkey with Liver doesn't have Vitamin A listed in the nutritional composition; the other (Big Little Paw) has about 1000IU a pot and their guide says that a 4kg cat would need about 3 pots > 3000IU - a bit much?). I have some cooked liver but maybe I'll just sprinkle some bits instead of giving them more?

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I joined and connected with a FIP group and they say the situation doesn't seem to correspond to usual FIP symptoms.

I checked his body temp and it seemed normal (38.2 C) though he seemed sluggish after food and tucked his legs, tail into himself so I'm letting him rest up (edit: he's walking around again, just a short break)

Appetite is gradually improving. Might check his weight again.

Will try to get a complete blood work done or something seeing as the FIP medication vial might not be applicable after all.

So my sister and I are just rather confused at the mixed diagnosis, etc (anaemia is still there, don't know why yet).

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realised that I might have overfed (liver supplement, Multivitamin, wet food, kitten food and then his antibiotics within a short span of time) which would explain the sudden time-out that he needed.
He was fine and active when he woke up. Good appetite this morning as well.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For now, I know that there is anaemia. Root cause yet to be ascertained.

He didn't seem to be good with just wet food so it will be mainly kitten food mixed with some wet food containing liver or cooked liver bits from now onwards. And will continue monitoring.

My two other female are also turning their noses up at dry food. They'll only eat a small amount of dry and gobble the wet ones.

It feels like I'm just buying time or something - like a sword over our heads, to be honest.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, our primary vet gave a multivitamin in liquid form, might be B12 (it's pink) but will ask.

Also might broach about the difficult questions especially if it's something that no one can pinpoint exactly.

His comfort is my top priority. He has good times (it shifts from time to time, sometimes early mornings and evenings while just resting in between) but if the bad outweighs the good, I just wish to avoid a repeat of what happened to the other kitten in September (died on the way to the vet).

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I commiserate with you during this trying time. Absolutely, your kitten's quality of life is the ultimate consideration; for all of us, death is as sure as birth and sometimes the truest love is to give the gift of a peaceful passing despite the devastation to ourselves. That said, the Will to Live is an important factor for anyone with health challenges & your boy deserves the fighting chances that you are affording him. None of your efforts are in vain because every good moment for him is truly a gift. Please know that your TCS family supports you always! :heartshape::grouphug:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you catsknowme catsknowme and for your kind, reassuring words.

Had a follow-up with our primary vet and apparently, my kitten is on the mend (gums are pinkish, the anemia is the regenerative kind), just very, super slowly.
I had asked whether my kitten is in any distress/pain but the vet said no, only just anxious from being at the vet.

Double-checked with them with the blood tests and they are leaning on mycoplasma haemofelis than dry FIP but also monitoring if it crops up.
So more rest for my kitten. The liver supplement prescribed for him contains silymarin. Also continuing doxycycline for a minimum 21 day-course and extending if necessary.
Going back on Monday for a CBC to see how it's progressing.

There is some difference when I had him rest more instead so that's a relief. Stool and pee are still regular, appetite is still there (not roaring but we can work with that).

Send good thoughts!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see progress is in the right direction! You have a good therapy plan. If you include probiotics, be sure to separate by at least several hours from the doxy

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got another blood test done today! There are slight elevations to his red blood cell & packed cell volume (good!) but my primary vet is hovering between mycoplasma haemofelis (the chronic kind) or FIP.

So far, he's eating about 1/3 of his (supposed) food requirement by body weight.
Might step up the game and add some nutritional gel into his food on top of the cooked liver (instead of feeding the gel from the tube, he's not liking that much) and maybe start feeding sooner in the day so there's more time to increase his meal intake(s).

The antibiotics started around the 18th and improvements have been slight and so far, in a good direction. So I hope we can see some increase in his recovery in another week or two.

Send good thoughts our way! I find myself quite intimidated by whatever my poor kitten is having.

Last edited: