Three is not a charm: HELP!!

france2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
I am new to the forum. I have a problem and could use some good advice. I have two cats (male tuxedo and female tortoise shell)that get along great. They play and love each other. I recently took in a third cat as its owner died of cancer and the relatives were going to bring her to the pound. I could not let this happen. The third cat is a short hair dilute Tortoise shell color. All cats are spayed/neutered. The problem is the new cat constantly hisses at the other two and the male (tuxedo) won't leave her alone. He is always stalking her and they continually swat each other. I don't know what to do. I yell at the male cat and he knows what he is doing is wrong but he does not stop. Any ideas how I could stop this so they all get along. I eagerly await replies. Thank You

france2112

michelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
first off- welcome!!!!
I've seen lots of threads like this, and I've always seen the same reply about introducing new cats. I don't quite know where one is, but I know that one of these nice people will be able to tell you what to do. I'm sorry I can't be more help. If I remember correctly, you should probably put the new cat in a seperate room for now, and let them get used to each others scents through the door, where they can't hurt each other. someone said something about giving both cats a towel to sleep on, and switch them so they get used to the scent of the other. (ok, this is where someone who knows where they're talking about should probably jump in) hang in there- this site is great, and the people are wonderful. someonemore helpful will come to your rescue soon!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Michelle has you going in the correct direction. I am assuming all of the cats are neutered or spayed. If not, you should have them fixed right away.

Okay....as Michelle said, you need to start over. First, put the new kitty in her own room. She will need to stay there for a couple of weeks, so make sure it is comfortable for her with litter box, water, and food. This will allow your old cats to re-establish their territory and to stop thinking of the new cat as an intruder.

After a couple of days, start trading scents with the towel as Michelle suggested. Rub the new cat (especially around the cheeks) with the towel and then go rub the old cats with the same towel (and vice versa). This way they will associate the scent of the new cat with good things (being rubbed). Do this several times daily.

After one week, lock up your old cats and let the new cat out for the night or for a few hours. Do not yet allow the new and old cats to be together.

By the following week, your old cats are going to be really curious about what is going on with the cat behind the door. You can try bringing the new cat out with the old cats for brief visits. As soon as the new cat comes out, give them all some tuna or some other really yummy treat. This way they associate great things with the other cats. Put the new cat back in her room after a brief period of time. Make sure you keep any aggression from occuring (use a squirt bottle or GENTLY toss a pillow at the aggressor).

Gradually increase the amount of time the cats are together. I recommend keeping new kitty in her room over night for at least a third week. When the cats are out together, make sure you give lots of attention to the old cats so they know that they are the top kitties.

Most importantly....have lots of patience and take things sloooooowly!

Good luck and bravo to you for taking in this poor kitty who is probably still grieving the loss of her person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

france2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate the advice. I'm an idiot. My wife warned me not to put the cats together too soon but I didn't listen. I've had the third cat about one month an only kept her isolated for about the first 5 days. I'll start over and for her sake I hope I didn't screw up. Take care and again feel free to give me any advice that you all may think will help. I'm glad I found this site. Take care.

Larry

cameo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know exactly what you are going through because I have had as many as six indoor cats at one time. They fought for dominance quite frequently.

For the most part I left them to their own devices, knowing that it was instinctive to protect their own turf. However, if one got rough, he went into solitary confinement in the bathroom for an hour or two. They got the point quickly.

Now that I'm down to three, I still have the problem of fighting every now and then, but they seem to respect each others "territory" and stay out of the way. They are very jealous, so when I pet and talk to one, I have to do the same to the others. It's like sibling rivalry.

Unless they are littermates, or acquired at the same time, there will be a little game of dominance between them. It's really nothing to worry about though usually. They'll work it out with time and patience.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're not an idiot, Larry! And I wish you the best of luck. You did a very kind thing by taking in that cat!

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that you were very kind and compassionate to take in that cat. Dont think of yourself that way. There is always something new to learn about these fantastic creatures. The best of luck and keep us posted.

kimberly^..^

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone...since you're on the topic...thought I'd share and ask. I have 3 cats - 2 male, 1 female all from the same litter. Age 2 years. In December, their other brother,Jake, died. He was the calm, laid back "leader" - not pushy , but we all knew he was "the man". Up emerges leader #2 (also male) - Bailey. They do all still get jealous of attention, but within the past 3 months they have started picking on Maddie, the female, for no reason! She's started to hiss at the them and growl at times. She has become rather distant and the other day I caught her swatting at one of the boys! She has been distant from me too unless it's just she and I. I think Jake used to protect her just by his presence- is that possible? ANy ideas as to whats going on with all of them? Both boys Bailey and Sophie(don't ask!) get along fine. I want everyone to get along, and I want Maddie to be happy! She is smaller than all the rest too and so cute.

ps. I never owned cats before and started out with 4!
Total learning experience!!!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kimberly! Welcome to the Cat Site. I am sorry I can't help you, but you may want to go ahead and post this as it's own topic, and you may get more help that way.