Thousands Still Without Electricity

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had electricity since Sunday at 1:30am.... today is Wednesday am - HELLO?!?!?

I'M HAVING A HORRIBLE HAIR DAY (it's gonna stay wet all day long!)

*** thanks for letting me vent ***
------------------------------------------
Thousands Still Without Electricity

(Los Angeles, CA) -- Thousands of Southern Californians are still without electricity following Monday's Santa Ana Winds. Repair crews are working around the clock to restore service to those homes and businesses that are still without power. Dozens of utility poles were snapped like twigs by winds that reached over 80-miles-per-hour in some locations. One man was killed Monday night in Glendale when he fell 40-feet from a power pole he was working on. Officials say it may be later this week before they can repair all the damage and restore electrical service to everyone affected by the outages.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Lhezza,

I remember those winds from long ago, but they have never been that strong before! What a mess- they just showed it on the news. Good luck!

bendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we get a lot of wind storms, downdrafts, tornados and the occassional hurricane here. I'd say that 3 days w/out power after something as major as you've had isn't bad!

It takes quite a bit to clean up after a storm, and they seem to be doing their best.

Keep some emergencies supplies handy for next time, at least you know it'll be back on sometime.

Bendy's mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in Southern California..... We don't have extream ANYTHING!

I had to use all my good candles!!!

The "worst" weather we've ever had was El Nino back in 95 where it rained for 2 weeks!!!

THIS SUCKS!!!

bendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it is quieter, people focus on helping clean up & helping the neighbors, and *most* companies understand if you can't make it to work or are late or don't look your best.

ok, the house might be hot or cold but unless it's really cold or sweltering you'll manage just fine.

At least your house is still standing!

It could be much worse.

Bendy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lhezzza-

Having been born in Oakland and raised in Westminster/Huntington Beach area, the Santa Ana winds have always been strong, but to my knowledge NEVER that strong! How spoiled I was growing up there not having to worry about anything major but earthquakes. The 1961 Earthquake was the strongest one I ever experienced (until I moved to Alaska) LOL

The people around you must just be in shock, because of the suddeness of it all. As you said, in Southern California there is not extreme anything! Did Cooper do okay while the winds blew? Poor cat must of been terrified.

Weather has been strange all over. I talked to my stepson who lives in Anchorage and they finally just got some snow! It usually starts snowing in September! So something is definitely up weather-wise.

Maybe a good plan would be to make a survival box with candles, flashlights, radio, batteries, cat food, stuff like that. Gee I never thought I would tell someone in Southern California to make a survival box! Glad no one you knew got hurt.

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
Did Cooper do okay while the winds blew?
Funny you should ask.... Cooper's bed is usually by the sliding glass door in our bedroom - I moved it cause the glass door was moving so much.... she slept on the floor (were her bed should have been) She stared out the window in amazement!

Silly cat!

Only once did she jump into bed with us (when the transformer blew up)

Cooper is loving the dark - she loves to sniff all the sented candles
(soo many new smells in the house) - We keep them high enough for her not to catch herself on fire!

Our survival box contains lots of D batteries for our battery operated television, and my cell phone (Pizza Hut still delivers)

LOL

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I heard about those winds briefly, but more so about the fires! Now THAT would suck!! I think I have it rough with ice and snow and everything like that......I guess I don't! But I DO REALLY REALLY feel for you with the hair thing. TRUST ME...NOBODY can be as anal-retentive as I am about my hair! :LOL: I blowdry my hair by laying in front of a floor box fan, if you can believe that!

I am assuming time off from work because of it? Are you running on a laptop computer (battery) with like DSL or cable?!?!?

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by carrie640
I am assuming time off from work because of it? Are you running on a laptop computer (battery) with like DSL or cable?!?!?
Nope... I live 10 miles from my work and we are not affected... my computer at home is down but here at work, its business as usualy - most employees live south..... I happen to live North (were all the problems happend)