Thoughts regarding "bad news"...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Greetings.

Every once in a while, someone posts a story about some heinous act committed against an animal - typically someone's pet - and everyone's blood pressure goes up a notch, and we spew some venom about "those people"...

I don't know about many of you, but...I've long since been at my crossroads with the human race. Do I think most people are horrible? No. But I can't keep myself from feeling that they are. And so, it's hard for me to handle bad news for its own sake. If we're talking about, say, state-sanctioned cruelty and there's a congressman to call/write/harass, or some sort of covert-ops division of The Cat Site that goes around eliminating "those people" (yes, I'm kidding), then I'm all for it. But being sad and angry with no recourse, well...it hurts. And there's no way to put a band-aid on it.

And so my suggestion is that perhaps any stories regarding animal cruelty, need to be backed up with some means to focus the inevitable feelings we get upon reading a heartbreaking story - someone to write, a rescue handling a particular abused animal, a charity to contribute to...something. Even if we're already doing those things, it serves to temper the blow a bit, to provide some emotional balance to the moment.

Just a thought.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes people just have to vent, even though there may not be a solution to present.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Greetings.

Every once in a while, someone posts a story about some heinous act committed against an animal - typically someone's pet - and everyone's blood pressure goes up a notch, and we spew some venom about "those people"...

I don't know about many of you, but...I've long since been at my crossroads with the human race. Do I think most people are horrible? No. But I can't keep myself from feeling that they are. And so, it's hard for me to handle bad news for its own sake. If we're talking about, say, state-sanctioned cruelty and there's a congressman to call/write/harass, or some sort of covert-ops division of The Cat Site that goes around eliminating "those people" (yes, I'm kidding), then I'm all for it. But being sad and angry with no recourse, well...it hurts. And there's no way to put a band-aid on it.

And so my suggestion is that perhaps any stories regarding animal cruelty, need to be backed up with some means to focus the inevitable feelings we get upon reading a heartbreaking story - someone to write, a rescue handling a particular abused animal, a charity to contribute to...something. Even if we're already doing those things, it serves to temper the blow a bit, to provide some emotional balance to the moment.

Just a thought.
Key, I understand what Nanner is saying that sometimes people just need to vent. I could easily be in that position myself, especially if the situation was found first-hand.

That being said, I think you have a great idea. Although we wouldn't necessarily be able to turn an abusive situation into a positive one, if we could provide help (in any amount/form) in preventing additional abuse or getting justice for the victim, the world will be a better place and we could be somewhat comforted.

BTW, I haven't seen you on TCS in awhile. Glad to have you back.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely! DO something!

Personally, I don't think someone posting something that happened or news needs to be responsible for including what can be done. No reason the reader can't figure out a way to do something.

Here's an example: Trapping Osama

It started with a link to an article. Some of us wrote to the author of the article. I didn't stop there, I looked up local vets, and called around to find "the crazy cat person." She got involved. The cat was trapped, and was rehomed! The author of the article learned about the problem of strays and TNR and methods of managing the problem - even wrote about it, so it went beyond just his education.

The websites Stray Pet Advocacy and Save Samoa grew out of that, and were created by TCS members volunteering their time to do the work and find the links.

For instance, in this thread: Another case of a person being despicable, you can google the Suffolk County SPCA, and write them a letter requesting that the guy who did this get the book thrown at him. Ask who else you can contact that it might help.

If reading about animal cruelty bothers you, get active! See if there are any organizations in your state working to up the penalties on animal cruelty. Learn about penalties, conviction rates, the relationship between animal cruelty & human violence, &etc. Contact authors of articles, and inform them about the need for stronger cruelty laws, and why. When you discuss something rationally from an educated standpoint, people respond.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add that cruelty to animals is a trigger for me, it stays with me forever and comes out at odd times and has the ability to nearly incapacitate me. If I know its a story about that sort of thing, I can avoid looking at it, but sometimes I open a thread that seems innocent and the next thing you know I'm
Its like an OCD thing, the thoughts just go round and round in my head. (DH says I need help and he's probably right
)

Anyway, what I'd really like to request (and I've been thinking about this for a long time) is if you're posting something sad or horrible that has happened to an animal, please please put a warning in the Title. I'm all for posting ways we can help, and maybe that could be a separate thread?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keycube, I feel the very same way. These things upset me so much that I can't even bear to open a thread that sounds like it might be about a cruelty incident. It does stay with you forever.

But I also understand the need for people to vent their rage. Maybe a special thread would be best... a place that those of us who just can't handle it can simply avoid.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a victim of aniimal cruelty I did take action. I had my neighbor prosecuted.
I also spent time educating friends and family on animal abuse. I donated money to local animal shelter. Got involved with a no kill shelter and just recently with another no kill shelter. Given advice to fellow TCS members experiencing their own animal cruelty experiences. Over 6 years later I still try to educate people on animal cruelty.

But this is one of the few places I could share my deeper feeling and get alot of support. Family and friends cannot understand the emotions that occur when your pet is/has been subjected to cruelty. There are members here who have experienced it and can help.

And BTW my neighbor would be in jail/prison if I could have documented and the courts could have proven his domestic animal killing thoughout the years. That to me is my biggest disappointment. He has no regard for animal life.