Thoughts on Taking an Infant to a Cat Show?

Should I take the baby?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

urbancalgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to post this in the Showing forum but it wouldn't let me...

There's a cat show nearby this weekend and I've always wanted to go to one. Having never been, I'm unsure about the level of dander that might be in the air. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's a good idea to expose my 9-week-old daughter yet. We do have an indoor/outdoor cat that climbs all over our furniture, so she has had some level of exposure already.

Obviously, my baby would not be touching the cats!

Thoughts? Thanks!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's fine. I've been to a few cat shows and there were lots of families there with children of varying ages.  It's probably easier with an infant since they won't be tugging at you all day 

The baby won't have any direct contact with those cats anyway - most are kept in their crates (comfy and filled with amenities, but still crates).  I've found very few breeders will take them out since a lot of the cats can get overwhelmed by having too many people fawning over them with their hands.  Some are really friendly and social, so those tend to be out but still in the arms of their owners.

Go, have a great time!

EDIT: I haven't experienced any problems with dander or odors at cat shows.  Everything is kept incredibly clean.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I don't think you should be taking an infant anywhere.  Not only because of the cats but anywhere there are crowds of people.  The baby can catch things from huge amounts of people too. Keep your baby home and safe until he/she is a little older, just my opinion.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be more concerned about germs from people than dander.  But thats really your call to make.  I'm big on people maintaining some distance when my kids are tiny like that.  I never had a problem with random strangers coming and getting up in their faces; but you hear about it enough.  But like visitors and things I always ask them to wash their hands.  My DD spent her first days in the NICU and was born when H1N1 was the big thing in the news and the hospital really advised against any possible exposure to sick people when she was released.  I don't hide my kids from germs otherwise; but when they are so small it just seems prudent.

But at the end of the day; your her mother so it's your decision to make.  
  Like I said; I'd be more concerned about people germs than what the cats might spread.  It might be a good opportunity for you to get out and do something fun.  That newborn phase can be so consuming; getting to do something else might be a good refresher for you.  

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Admittedly on the fence - not about things like dander or anything (Really think the little one would be just fine, plus exposure is healthy for a kid in the long run)

I've been going to conventions for 10 years, both in pet expos and comic/anime/scifi conventions, as well as dog shows for the last 15 years. At the risk of sounding like a mean bitter narly person, there is just one thing I'd like to mention.

Some parents and their kids are just fine, but then there are others that have this thing of slamming their strollers against other people to get by. No excuse me's or sorry's or even gentle suggestions, just the entitled attitude of genuinely barging through. I've been hit so many times, whether standing in line, walking through the isle, looking at shops etc had costumes break and bruises on my back legs 

In addition, when we had our late German Shepherds and took them to dog events, two instances where strollers ran over a paw over one, and the other got rammed repeatedly against the side by another in order to push him out of the way, and the parent just thought it was ok because "Well, they are big dogs anyway so they should be fine"

These things are often very crowded, with activities, loud noises and themes devoted to things that are not altogether catered to young ones, and yet not kept in mind, and everyone else gets penalized for it.

It's just a small thing to have in the back of the head, which I'm sure it is obviously known already - and of course, event etiquette apples to everyone equally, so would never just target one group specifically. 

Anyway! Sorry about that. Have a great visit! It sounds fun :) I'm sure your little one will be fine altogether. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a Mom I would worry about the germs from people for one so young - but also believe it isn't healthy to coddle children either. The cats would not present a problem for the infant.  As mentioned etiquette should be a concern - if the baby gets fussy, take her/him out of the hall to calm  down. Some halls are to small for strollers so keep that in mind.  It is never to early to start in the Cat Fancy! As an exhibitor, I welcome well behaved (older of course) children talking to me about their pets and asking me about my Jack.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, as far as the stroller etiquette goes, a sling may simply be a better way to go. My son loved his front carrier. He was colicky and it was the only way I could get anything done.

As far as people germs go, if she's nursing, she'll have a bit of protection, since you'll be exposed to the same things and your immune system will go a long way toward protecting both of you.

And the cats shouldn't be an issue at all.