Thoughts on newly adopted cat..

jesniels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

Looking for an opinion or two here.. I

I adopted a new lovely sweet cat (not the first I have had). She is 4 years old. Her previous owner died and gave her and another cat (not related) to a Shelter. I adopted her the week before Christmas so she has been with me almost 6 weeks now. Before that she was just under 4 weeks in the Shelter. They neutralized her, gave her the 1st vaccination, health checkup and all the good stuff. The other cat from the same home was adopted to another family a couple of days before I came along.

I took her home, she quickly introduced herself to the entire house and basement. Checked it all out, rubbed against everything, taking ownership quite fast. Found the scratchers, toys, litterbox, food and water with 15 minutes.. Never seen a cat so calm and ready to move in. She jumped on the couch and took ownership of the middle, staying there watching me wander around doing my stuff. Came evening, she jumped into the bed, slept on the other side of the bed, cuddled in against my legs at around 6 AM.

She basically made that her life. And she was like that until January 5th. Not the most active cat in the world (the quite opposite, he he). But very calm, sweet and just enjoyable. Never jumps in my lap, but comes over - sits next to me while working or watching movies. Than I can lift her up in my lap and she usually stays for cuddles and petting for 30-45 minutes, complaining slightly if I stop :) Then she jumps away and goes on with her business :) which is usually relaxing. I can play with her, but as I said she is not the most active cat - so it is on her terms, not moving too much around, he he

Now for the change..

On January 5th I took her to the vet for the second required vaccination and a final checkup after the operation. It was a good experience. I picked her up from the floor, not the couch!. She was calm going into the carrier, complained slightly while driving the 5 minutes.. At the vet she rubbed against him and everything while being vaccinated and checked out. No issues.

After we got home, she walked around - slept on the floor in front of the garden door for a couple of hours (guess the vaccination can have a little impact on some kitties). From that moment on, she stopped sleeping/relaxing in the couch. She stopped sleeping in the bed. She sleeps under the bed, just under me. Still jumps up for cuddles/laying against my legs at 6AM until I get up (unless she is hungry). Instead of the couch she found a spot in my basement office on top of a desk drawer.. Gave her a blanket to lay on, happy days..

She comes along for cuddles/petting 0-2 times per day, maybe a little bit less than before. She comes along when it is time for feeding (feed her 3 times per day). But I find it "interesting" to me that it was exactly coming home from the Vet, that she stopped jumping onto the couch as in (she has not been on it ONCE) and stopped laying in the bed with my while "we" sleep.

Maybe I just worry too much - I usually do, LoL..

She seems happy and content. But it is the first time for me, that I have had a cat that spends so much time alone. The days I work from home, we are together in the office (she is right next to me), but she will go to her spot right after petting sessions, playtime and feeding - and basically stay there 80% of the day. I will as much as time permits go and sit in my office, just working (never worked as much in my life, LoL) to keep her company.

Any Thoughts? I know she is only 6 weeks into my life..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Just out of curiosity, what type of vaccination did she get at the vet? Thank you for adopting her and giving her a forever home. It sounds like she hit the jackpot! :thumbsup: It's possible she has become comfortable with you and her surroundings and, therefore, chosen what she wants to do. It's also possible the vet exam threw her off and maybe gave her some anxiety. However, keep doing what you're doing and she may go back to sleeping on the couch or laying in your bed. Some people use Feliway for a calming effect. Best of luck and please feel free to post a pic of her since we love pictures.:camera: BTW, what's her name?

I also thought these two TCS Articles might have some helpful information and advice for you:
14 Cat Experts Reveal - How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat - 10 Things You Need To Know - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesniels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your reply.. :redheartpump:

I hope that is just conincidental that she started that behaviour right after the vet visit..

It was a standard combi vaccine (required in denmark), Calici, herpes , FelV I think it covers.

Thanks for the link.. here is a small picture from her, taken a little while ago, where I was lucky enough for the queen to join me in the living room for an hour 😁 before she disappeared to her sleeping spot in the cellar office ..

1000000577.jpg

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl! ❤ It sounds like you're a wonderful cat servant and are doing everything to settle her into her furrever home. She will still be getting used to her new territory, so her behaviour might shift for a while as she works out her routine. The best you can do is give her time and space and show her that she is safe and loved without putting any pressure on her.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! She is pretty. It could be that she is feeling a little unwell after the vaccine and she is hiding as a cause. Or that she got a bit worried that she was returning to the shelter.

Try to seek her out sometimes to encourage her to be social.

You can also try playing some cat calming music or some purring.

Does she have a little box to sleep in? A cozy box can help her health and confidence.

Did you pick her up otherwise during the time she was home with you before the vet? Try to pick her up sometimes and give her a little scritches and put her right back down. Usually a good time is when she's up and wandering around. Then she won't associate you picking her up with always taking her somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesniels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there..

Thanks a lot for your feedback.. I basically can say yes to everything, he he. So good to hear that I am on a good track..

She has access to different boxes in different rooms, but prefers staying on hard surfaces it seems. One cardboard box from Christmas she enjoys being in from time to time, så that ugly thing is staying, he he..

Thanks.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel you, haha! In my experience, cardboard boxes are always a hit with cats. They're certainly my cat Cleo's favourite place to sleep in, go in for some quiet, and ambush toys from. She 'claims' every new box that comes into the house as soon as it's emptied, as seen in my profile pic. 🤣

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there..

Thanks a lot for your feedback.. I basically can say yes to everything, he he. So good to hear that I am on a good track..

She has access to different boxes in different rooms, but prefers staying on hard surfaces it seems. One cardboard box from Christmas she enjoys being in from time to time, så that ugly thing is staying, he he..

Thanks.
Sounds like the right track!
It took awhile for my cats to feel safe enough to sleep on cozy surfaces.

All cats choose cardboard sometimes though, the little weirdos.

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Man you're luck
Hi everyone :)

Looking for an opinion or two here.. I

I adopted a new lovely sweet cat (not the first I have had). She is 4 years old. Her previous owner died and gave her and another cat (not related) to a Shelter. I adopted her the week before Christmas so she has been with me almost 6 weeks now. Before that she was just under 4 weeks in the Shelter. They neutralized her, gave her the 1st vaccination, health checkup and all the good stuff. The other cat from the same home was adopted to another family a couple of days before I came along.

I took her home, she quickly introduced herself to the entire house and basement. Checked it all out, rubbed against everything, taking ownership quite fast. Found the scratchers, toys, litterbox, food and water with 15 minutes.. Never seen a cat so calm and ready to move in. She jumped on the couch and took ownership of the middle, staying there watching me wander around doing my stuff. Came evening, she jumped into the bed, slept on the other side of the bed, cuddled in against my legs at around 6 AM.

She basically made that her life. And she was like that until January 5th. Not the most active cat in the world (the quite opposite, he he). But very calm, sweet and just enjoyable. Never jumps in my lap, but comes over - sits next to me while working or watching movies. Than I can lift her up in my lap and she usually stays for cuddles and petting for 30-45 minutes, complaining slightly if I stop :) Then she jumps away and goes on with her business :) which is usually relaxing. I can play with her, but as I said she is not the most active cat - so it is on her terms, not moving too much around, he he

Now for the change..

On January 5th I took her to the vet for the second required vaccination and a final checkup after the operation. It was a good experience. I picked her up from the floor, not the couch!. She was calm going into the carrier, complained slightly while driving the 5 minutes.. At the vet she rubbed against him and everything while being vaccinated and checked out. No issues.

After we got home, she walked around - slept on the floor in front of the garden door for a couple of hours (guess the vaccination can have a little impact on some kitties). From that moment on, she stopped sleeping/relaxing in the couch. She stopped sleeping in the bed. She sleeps under the bed, just under me. Still jumps up for cuddles/laying against my legs at 6AM until I get up (unless she is hungry). Instead of the couch she found a spot in my basement office on top of a desk drawer.. Gave her a blanket to lay on, happy days..

She comes along for cuddles/petting 0-2 times per day, maybe a little bit less than before. She comes along when it is time for feeding (feed her 3 times per day). But I find it "interesting" to me that it was exactly coming home from the Vet, that she stopped jumping onto the couch as in (she has not been on it ONCE) and stopped laying in the bed with my while "we" sleep.

Maybe I just worry too much - I usually do, LoL..

She seems happy and content. But it is the first time for me, that I have had a cat that spends so much time alone. The days I work from home, we are together in the office (she is right next to me), but she will go to her spot right after petting sessions, playtime and feeding - and basically stay there 80% of the day. I will as much as time permits go and sit in my office, just working (never worked as much in my life, LoL) to keep her company.

Any Thoughts? I know she is only 6 weeks into my life..
Man you're lucky t get that kind of loving "easy adopting" cat. But as for change in attitude i dont know. As long as he's eating properly, pooping and Urinating properly then im okay.

At the first vaccination my cat stopped eating and drinking for the whole day. He even got diarrhea and vomited. But second day he's okay. Didn't saw much change in attitude though.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's a beauty!!
As far as switching her preferred sleeping spots, my cats (9 and 15) do this all the time. :) I have had both since they were kittens. They'll both select a spot as "theirs" and after a few weeks, will select a different spot and rotate them over the course of several weeks. As long as she's still herself I wouldn't worry about this too much. It sounds like she was a dream to bring home and is a very nice girl to have around!!