Thoughts on food

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Purina One Plus Sensitive Skin and Stomach or the Iams Sensitive Digestion and Skin food?
IMG_8171.jpeg
IMG_8172.jpeg

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally have never used those and give my cats science diet hard food, indoor formula and age appropriate. Knock on wood, I've never had an issue giving any cats or dogs science diet. I would suggest looking at the ingredients between the two as well as the nutrition info. Is your kitty having a particular issue and does the vet suspect a sensitive stomach?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 out of the 3 are having diarrhea. One has had it on and off for a while so we wanted to try to switch foods to see if that would help. The vet just gave her a syringe of medicine. I think the other is just stressed (cat intros). I am trying to look for more affordable but safe and good options!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina completed a longitudinal study during COVID and promptly changed all their formulas (in 2020 to 2021) to be closer to the recipe that they found extended the life of cats in the study.

Personally, I found it to be great. All my cats were good on Purina and their coats super soft. Magnus developed a beef allergy and we had to change foods. Otherwise, they'd still be on it.

I tried Iams as it doesn't have beef but as it does have higher grains, two of my cats gained weight. Nobel, my now late cat would always pack on the weight with a high grain level in his food. That was just his personal body. Many cats do well on Iams.

There's no issues with these commercial foods if they agree with your cats. The main brands of commercial foods have been around for a long time helping us to extend the lives of our cats. I would suggest if you can give them at least one can of wet food with extra water a day, that it will help with health and lower the amount of dry food they have (and then lower the risk of the Iams making them gain weight!). Even something inexpensive. I used to grab the Fancy Feast kitten pack as it was $6 at Walmart and give them each a 1/2 can in the AM and 1/2 can at night.
What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purina completed a longitudinal study during COVID and promptly changed all their formulas (in 2020 to 2021) to be closer to the recipe that they found extended the life of cats in the study.

Personally, I found it to be great. All my cats were good on Purina and their coats super soft. Magnus developed a beef allergy and we had to change foods. Otherwise, they'd still be on it.

I tried Iams as it doesn't have beef but as it does have higher grains, two of my cats gained weight. Nobel, my now late cat would always pack on the weight with a high grain level in his food. That was just his personal body. Many cats do well on Iams.

There's no issues with these commercial foods if they agree with your cats. The main brands of commercial foods have been around for a long time helping us to extend the lives of our cats. I would suggest if you can give them at least one can of wet food with extra water a day, that it will help with health and lower the amount of dry food they have (and then lower the risk of the Iams making them gain weight!). Even something inexpensive. I used to grab the Fancy Feast kitten pack as it was $6 at Walmart and give them each a 1/2 can in the AM and 1/2 can at night.
What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals
This was SO helpful thank you so much!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was SO helpful thank you so much!
Happy to help! It's hard to wade through what little data there is past all the food opinions for cats.

My vet says there's many studies in the works and we will be catching up to dogs in terms of food studies on healthy cats. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it all! I'm sure VCA will release some articles when it's time.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 out of the 3 are having diarrhea. One has had it on and off for a while so we wanted to try to switch foods to see if that would help. The vet just gave her a syringe of medicine. I think the other is just stressed (cat intros). I am trying to look for more affordable but safe and good options!
Oh okay. How old are they? Sometimes if you switch food too fast, it can cause diarrhea. Have they been checked for worms? I know with one of my kittens, even though the fecal came back negative multiple, I would find a dead worm in his stool. So the vet gave panacur twice daily for 5 days and recommended I use revolution or revolution plus topical since it's a 5 in 1. The panacur did help for the most part, but the revolution plus seemed to have solved the diarrhea in my boy. I guess maybe that's cuz it absorbs into the blood and paralyzes the worms🤷‍♀️.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay. How old are they? Sometimes if you switch food too fast, it can cause diarrhea. Have they been checked for worms? I know with one of my kittens, even though the fecal came back negative multiple, I would find a dead worm in his stool. So the vet gave panacur twice daily for 5 days and recommended I use revolution or revolution plus topical since it's a 5 in 1. The panacur did help for the most part, but the revolution plus seemed to have solved the diarrhea in my boy. I guess maybe that's cuz it absorbs into the blood and paralyzes the worms🤷‍♀️.
They are 1 and estimated 2 years. I mixed their old food with their new food and added more everyday for about a week until they were completely on the new food! The 2 year old seems to be doing a lot better. She was dewormed a couple months ago. I’m not sure with what but it was just one dose. The 1 year old seems like she’s doing better as well just not as much as good as the other. No more blood but still has diarrhea sometimes. She was dewormed as a kitten but hasn’t been again. She was also wormed with one dose. She doesn’t have any signs to have worms other than diarrhea. But no scooting, worms in poop or anything like that. Is panacur a prescription or something you can get over the counter?

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panacur is prescription only. Depending on the vet, sometimes it's a three day dose, five day or up to 10. It sounds like they may have given you drodel (or something like that). I had to give 1.5 pills of the drodel or whatever the D one is called just as a precaution since the kittens were in the process of being dewormed. I know there's dewormers over the counter, but I've never tried them. Both the revolution and revolution plus are prescription too. If your kitties did have worms at one point, it's possible there still may be eggs in their intestines that haven't hatched. Roundworm is one that can lay dormant for years which is scary. I know with my boy kitten, I even tried switching to a no soy, no corn one over the course of about a week and half and it didn't help, but somehow the revolution plus did. The vet suspected he had roundworm just given the size of ones I found dead in his stool. There's so many different parasites that depending on the type is whether it works or not. I believe the panacur is a broad spectrum one that works for most. I read that sometimes stress can trigger diarrhea and sometimes food allergies which was why I tried the no soy no corn one. Which food did you switch them from and to? And is it kibble or wet? I give my babies science diet kibble only cuz every pet I've given it to, did very well and never had issues (knock on wood). Even at vets were impressed with their health. Is it possible the one year old maybe got into something they shouldn't have by inhaling or even eating? And is the one year old having any other issues like upper respiratory, a fever, hairballs or vomiting?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For most healthy adult cats, a protein percent of 40% or more is suggested (shown in studies to be preferred by cats and help regulate lean muscle mass, blood sugar, and fat deposition), so that is something to look for in dry foods.
Ingredients focusing on helping with diarrhea may include probiotics, fiber, or prebiotics. Look for things like inulin (from chicory root), fructooligosaccarides (or FOS - fancy name for a prebiotic), pumpkin, psyllium, or even slippery elm.
You are likely to see novel proteins in "Sensitive Stomach" foods. These are basically any meat sources besides beef, fish, and chicken. These are so common that cats are more likely to have eaten them before and developed a sensitivity or allergy but that doesn't mean it is always the case. You'll probably see turkey, duck, lamb, and rabbit.
My kitty has IBD so she gets diarrhea more easily than other cats. I've found that portion size (multiple small meals per day) and texture can matter a lot.
Good probiotics include fortiflora (easy to find), proviable, and nexabiotic.